Why become a member? ×

Genz vs Euphonic

aende

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1385300306' post='2286523']
@dave - what kinda sounds do you get? I would like to be able to get a warm tube tone and a nice rock tone.

Currently use a gsllien 1001rbii as my main amp am a tech 21 vt pre am into the effects return for an ampeg like tone.

I am also thinking if the shuttle max with 2 x swr golight 112s
[/quote]
One thing that really trumps the 6.2 ,12.2 or 9.2 for me is the max head because the FET channel is really good imo, I bought my 9.2max just to get the tone of my 3.0 (no valve in that one) but with the full 900 watts of either a 9.0 or 9.2 head. Its a shame they never combined the two to give you the flexibility of Daves rig but with the power and twin channels of the max head, it would have been the 18.2 shuttlemax!

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1385307844' post='2286654']

One thing that really trumps the 6.2 ,12.2 or 9.2 for me is the max head because the FET channel is really good imo, I bought my 9.2max just to get the tone of my 3.0 (no valve in that one) but with the full 900 watts of either a 9.0 or 9.2 head. Its a shame they never combined the two to give you the flexibility of Daves rig but with the power and twin channels of the max head, it would have been the 18.2 shuttlemax!
[/quote]

600W per side is more than enough for anyone.

With just the 2 x 112s, one in each power amp (max 375W per cab), my guitarist complains that his 120W all valve head won't keep up! I didn't have the heart to tell him that my preamp was on 4 and my power amp was on 3 1/2.

I backed it down to 2 1/2 and everyone was happy. The drummer was particularly happy as he'd never really been able to hear the bass before. :)

Oh yeah, the tone of the fet channel is to die for. Blending a bit of the valve channel of the higher frequencies, a shade over driven, gives a 70's stadium rock band sound that could only be described as....

... well actually I'm lost for superlatives.

Edited by Dave_the_bass

That's about the same question as I posed to myself a few months back, and the Genz Benz demise made a choice for me, as GB prices are sooo low right now.
Euphonic have a name in build quality which even reached me, a keys guy, but reportedly GB are not far behind.

An aspect not yet mentioned, I think:
The ShuttleMax 12.2 being only £599 now, only 50 quid more than the Micro, you might be interested in that wealth of flexibility - especially given the magnificent footswitch board with 5 switches that comes with it for free. Two switches for choosing a channel or mixing both, and three for different tone shapes. Magnificent.

If I've understood correctly, the footswitch for the Micro is simpler (probably just switches between the two channels, but I don't know this) and is not included in the price either.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1385329398' post='2287074']
....especially given the magnificent footswitch board with 5 switches that comes with it for free. Two switches for choosing a channel or mixing both, and three for different tone shapes. Magnificent.
[/quote]

For me: the foot switch is a good idea; poorly executed!

If you want to use it in the heat of battle then wear pointy shoes. My very small, for a 6' bloke, feet can't hit any of the middle three buttons individually unless I'm staring straight at it.
It's a shame really as I would love to be able to hit the mid scoop in one of the bands songs where we move to a a slow build from bass only.

I do have plans on trying to wire up a new one with a better, for me, layout. If I can't do that then I'll probablyjust unscrew the bass and treble boost switches and pop them inside.

I had a Shuttle 3 and traded it for a Shuttle 6, both reminded me of wasps trapped inside a bottle.

I had an EA micro 550 that I sold recently, that was really nice.

People sometimes comment on EA's lack of volume, but they use a different kind of volume control to other manufacturers, the control acts all the way through its turn so it'll keep getting louder, most other manufacturers use controls that act for the first half turn or something, then nothing much happens after that.

The cooling fans on the Shuttles bugged me too, way too loud for at home practicing.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1385381342' post='2287480']
People sometimes comment on EA's lack of volume, but they use a different kind of volume control to other manufacturers, the control acts all the way through its turn so it'll keep getting louder, most other manufacturers use controls that act for the first half turn or something, then nothing much happens after that.

[/quote]

The Genz volumes are also the type that gradually increases, which is why I like how precise the Shuttlemax is.

Compare this to Markbass. Most of the volume is in the first half turn.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1385390816' post='2287624']

Used to have when they first came out, this is maybe 3 or 4 years ago :D.
[/quote]
Mine is that old with no fan? 6.0 has a fan but i have never seen a 3.0 with one? I recall a lot of people saying the fan was a lot quieter than most other amps with a fan too, their defence would be that it's a 600 watt head for live gigs rather than quiet practice, that's partly why i bought a 3.0 after my 6.0

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1385381342' post='2287480']
I had a Shuttle 3 and traded it for a Shuttle 6, both reminded me of wasps trapped inside a bottle.
[/quote]

My 9.2 will take a bit of getting used to. I bought it for deep, clean low tones, but with the treble all the way down on both bass and amp, it's still a bit too bright!

Still plenty of time to fiddle though...

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1385462707' post='2288465']
My 9.2 will take a bit of getting used to. I bought it for deep, clean low tones, but with the treble all the way down on both bass and amp, it's still a bit too bright!

Still plenty of time to fiddle though...
[/quote]

The 9.2 is the usual Genz Shuttle tone, which is tight, bright and clear. It will get much fuller if you engage the variable low boost which lowers the HPF...drop the hi mids to taste as well.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1385463157' post='2288472']

The 9.2 is the usual Genz Shuttle tone, which is tight, bright and clear. It will get much fuller if you engage the variable low boost which lowers the HPF...drop the hi mids to taste as well.
[/quote]

Thanks for that. Strangely enough, I liked the tight low end sound when engaging the mid scoop preset, but then dialling out the treble is difficult. I thought that the low boost sounded a bit muddier, I didn't know that that lowers the HPF cutoff. I'll keep playing, thanks.

[quote name='Ba55me15ter' timestamp='1385465015' post='2288495']
Disappointed it doesn't seem possible to control the volume of each power amp individually on the 12.2, unless someone knows different?
[/quote]

Just one volume for both power amp it would seem. Out of interest Why whould you want to control them seperately?

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1385466161' post='2288519']

Just one volume for both power amp it would seem. Out of interest Why whould you want to control them seperately?
[/quote]

I would guess, and it would be a handy feature, so you can balance the volume between the 4ohm 1x12 in power amp A and the 4ohm 2x12 in power amp B (other cone sizes and impedances are available) so that one cab isn't drowning out the other.

It's not a problem I have had but I can see it being a valid situation.

[quote name='Dave_the_bass' timestamp='1385467635' post='2288536']
I would guess, and it would be a handy feature, so you can balance the volume between the 4ohm 1x12 in power amp A and the 4ohm 2x12 in power amp B (other cone sizes and impedances are available) so that one cab isn't drowning out the other.

It's not a problem I have had but I can see it being a valid situation.
[/quote]

Yeah that makes sense... should have read more of the thread!