Why become a member? ×

not a happy practice

bobbytodd

[quote name='bobbytodd' timestamp='1385031128' post='2283543']
update.im no longer in this band.last night I got a nice email off the drummer saying they were going to look for another bassist because the singer felt he couldn't work with me as I take practice too serious.i replied with no hard feelings pal and good luck.the music was pure cheese and not really my thing but I admit I enjoyed learning some different styles of music rather than just rock/metal but im not going to have sleepless nights over it.so on to the next one lol
[/quote]
Sounds like sour grapes........lol.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1385035547' post='2283618']
If being prepared, organised and knowing the difference between learning songs and a band rehearsal on your part is 'taking it too seriously' then i suspect the band is going absolutely nowhere. You're better off out of it.
[/quote]

+1

The phrase that fills me with most dread at rehearals is 'It's just for a bit of a laugh though, isn't it?' (In my case this is usually at am dram rehearsals, but applies equally to music).

Some people don't know the difference between having fun and buggering about getting nothing done.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1385036124' post='2283624']
Some people don't know the difference between having fun and buggering about getting nothing done.
[/quote]

Not everyone wants to take it seriously from the off. Ive been in bands who had no intention of ever gigging, it was purely for fun a few times a month. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. We all knew the score and we had a lot of fun as there was no time pressure etc.

I also find not everyone has the same amount of free time. In my current band two of us have full time jobs, two dont. I find it hard to find time to learn new songs (if needed), although im the one that takes the band the most seriously and books most of the gigs.

I think the OP got the right outcome, it sounds to me like he was serious about it and the others weren't. No one is in the wrong IMO, although i don't agree with people messing others about and have been through this myself and find it very frustrating.

I think the OP's band did the right thing letting him know, and judging by this thread it was going that way anyway.

[quote name='bobbytodd' timestamp='1385031128' post='2283543']
they were going to look for another bassist because the singer felt he couldn't work with me as I take practice too serious.
[/quote]

Can imagine the ad ...

Bass player required, must be prepared to help the guitarists with the chords at run through sessions, but should not be so serious as to come prepared enough to know what those chords are

I don't think there's a 'right' way or 'wrong' way to run a band. The problems occur where there is a mismatch of commitment or expectations between members.
I'm been in bands at both ends of the spectrum at different times.
I'm pretty easy-going but the one that got me was the keyboard payer who refused to practice between performances because 'if you come to songs fresh each time, you become a better musician'. He never did.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1385045504' post='2283798']
Not everyone wants to take it seriously from the off. Ive been in bands who had no intention of ever gigging, it was purely for fun a few times a month. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. We all knew the score and we had a lot of fun as there was no time pressure etc.

[/quote]

Oh yes agreed. I think it's a case of striking the right balance for everyone, which is not always easy to do.

I'm not trying to imply that I'm a paragon of dedication, aiming for loads of gigs. I'm strictly an amatuer who doesn't practice nearly enough and turns up ill prepared on occasions!! :o

It's just that the attitude of not wanting to improve at all, and just turn up to lark about has irritated me in the past. Mostly with acting though, I have to make clear. Not (usually!) with other band members.

The problem I find is that you can fall into the trap of learning a song off rote and turn up only to find that the song doesn't work.

We tend to go away, learn the structure, chords and general feel of the song. Come back and run through it, only then, if it looks like it's going somewhere, do we go away and learn it properly.

But that's just my current band, all bands are different. I've gigged from charts where the only rehearsal for the whole band has been a single run through with the keys player and singer while we looked over the charts.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1385072723' post='2284284']
The problem I find is that you can fall into the trap of learning a song off rote and turn up only to find that the song doesn't work.

We tend to go away, learn the structure, chords and general feel of the song. Come back and run through it, only then, if it looks like it's going somewhere, do we go away and learn it properly.

But that's just my current band, all bands are different. I've gigged from charts where the only rehearsal for the whole band has been a single run through with the keys player and singer while we looked over the charts.
[/quote]
Yessir..... This sounds logical.