Why become a member? ×

Carbon bass?

ShaunB

...well, I bought this P-bass body from bassistjonathon - not a clue what it was, and sent it to my best friend in Canada who manufactures some of the best windsurfing boards on the planet and is a nifty carbon composite guru.

He has stripped the finish and laminated a layer of carbon over the wood, then several coats of polyester, a lot of spit and polish later...

I have a Mitey Mite fretless neck on its way from the States (need to apply some carbon to the headstock), all black hardware, quarter pounder from Nick (OHM), P-bass passive wiring kit and a custom clear/black scratchplate cut at auroraproject I'm designing at the mo... stay tuned!

Edited by ShaunB

[quote name='peted' post='227290' date='Jun 26 2008, 12:41 PM']I'm surprised that you didn't go for a Status graphite neck? Looks great.[/quote]

...and therein lies the need for a cheap fretless...

Neck arrived this morning - carbonising the head. Scratchplate almost done!

• 2 weeks later...

...well, it's almost finished! Neck settling in nicely. Added some carbon vinyl to the headstock - passes under poor lighting!

Gonna wait a couple of days to set her up - but really pleased with the result - and sounds good too!

Ok, no moans about the amount of weeds twixt the paving stones!! They add colour!

[quote name='ShaunB' post='240903' date='Jul 16 2008, 02:47 PM']...well, it's almost finished! Neck settling in nicely. Added some carbon vinyl to the headstock - passes under poor lighting!

Gonna wait a couple of days to set her up - but really pleased with the result - and sounds good too!

Ok, no moans about the amount of weeds twixt the paving stones!! They add colour!

[/quote]

Weeds? What weeds? My eyes were drawn to that lump of carbon loveliness in the middle of the photo- didn't see much else...

Looks gorgeous Shaun. I hope it sounds as good as it plays. I'm really impressed.

Looks beautiful, that. One small thing, it might be the picture but is the neck a bit wonky, looks like it is leaning to the right from the front of the bass picture and to the left from the behind pic?

Cheers
ped