Why become a member? ×

Genx 2x12" vs Markbass 2x15"

jimcroisdale

Hi all,

I'm still on the search for the ultimate one-cab solution.

I have a GB 212 already, but for some gigs it doesn't *quite* have the low end power that I need.

I have seen a used Markbass 2x15" cab, and although it is a bit bigger it will still fit in my car. I had thought about another GB212, but i couldn't get two of them in.

Has anyone got any experience of this cab? How would it compare to the Genz?

Music at the moment is 60's/70's stuff, but could end up being virtually anything down the line.

Cheers,

Jim

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1383908809' post='2270607']
If a 2x12 isn't enough, then I wouldn't suggest just another singular 2x12 (+ whatever). I would suggest more speakers.

Genz currently have a sale on at GAK. I would get another GB 2x12 if your amp will run to 2 ohms.
[/quote]

I can't transport two cabs.

[quote name='jimcroisdale' timestamp='1383909776' post='2270637']

And the what now? :-)
[/quote]
If your amps eq has a shelf let's say at a minimum of 40hz then any frequencies below that won't be sent to the cab so you could buy a 4x18 cab only to find it has no more low end than the 2x12, i strongly suspect this is the case also if you are setting your amp with that much low it will be sucking the wattage too which won't help by the sounds of things.

A streamliner and Genz neox 2x12 flat out on the bass control and volume control sounds like a gig i don't want to be at :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1383918556' post='2270790']
A streamliner and Genz neox 2x12 flat out on the bass control and volume control sounds like a gig i don't want to be at :D
[/quote]

A lot of people on here have said that and it makes me wonder if I'm doing something wrong. If only one of you knowledgeable dudes could swing by a gig and have a listen!

I'll be honest I'm not great at setting up my eq either even after all these years, i guess it's why there are lots of crap sounds guys about,i have read on here many times that person x has been doing sound at gigs for twenty years, imo it guarantees nothing!

It's a funny thing because you might find reducing the bass actually gives you a bigger Fuller deeper sound as the power is left to cope with more audible frequencies, the Genz shuttles are shelved at 80 hz normally and i think 37hz with the LF light on, generally anything lower than that is just air movement and speaker damage! I use the same cab with a five string active bass without the cab getting even close to it's bottom end limit,i think you need to tweak something?

I totally know what you're saying, but I find that reducing the bass just reduces the bass.

I have the bass boost on the guitar up between 50 and 100%.

I have the bass knob on the amp about 3 oclock. Mids (set to low mid) nearly full. Treble to taste.

I read threads about people playing with everything on 12 oclock and I try it occasionally.

I'd quit playing if I had to use that sound......

If you're prepared to do a bit of research and ask a few questions, your best bet might be to upgrade your drivers to something like the Faital12fh500, assuming you like the Genz cab. These, I believe, are the ones in the top-of-the-range Vanderkleys and probably not a million miles away from what Barefaced is using now: http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/faitalpro-12fh500-8ohm-12-500watt-pa-speaker-p-1174.html

You'll be able to sell the drivers that are currently in the cab to reduce the overall cost of the exercise.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1383928952' post='2270984']
If you're prepared to do a bit of research and ask a few questions, your best bet might be to upgrade your drivers to something like the Faital12fh500, assuming you like the Genz cab. These, I believe, are the ones in the top-of-the-range Vanderkleys and probably not a million miles away from what Barefaced is using now: http://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/faitalpro-12fh500-8ohm-12-500watt-pa-speaker-p-1174.html

You'll be able to sell the drivers that are currently in the cab to reduce the overall cost of the exercise.
[/quote]I dont think the cab is holding back the lows and some gb cabs are already faital loaded anyway.

[quote name='bobbytodd' timestamp='1383928961' post='2270985']
have you stood out front once you have turned the bass down? because what sounds sh*te onstage can sound just right in the mix out front.I have a streamliner head and it took me ages to find that right sound I set the bass at 9/10 o'clock
[/quote]

Very true. I once sorted a great on-stage sound, deep but punchy. Went out front, total mush, just like a wall of rumbling. Now I set up a slightly nasally sound which I have to say I don`t like soloed that much, but it fits exactly in the place I want in the mix - not underneath, nor screaming out here I am. Mids are your friend in gettiing the bass where you want it, not lows.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1383943803' post='2271213']

Very true. I once sorted a great on-stage sound, deep but punchy. Went out front, total mush, just like a wall of rumbling. Now I set up a slightly nasally sound which I have to say I don`t like soloed that much, but it fits exactly in the place I want in the mix - not underneath, nor screaming out here I am. Mids are your friend in gettiing the bass where you want it, not lows.
[/quote]
Yep, my on stage sound is terrible, if I have foh I make it even worse, a tone I can hear but not the one id want the pa to reproduce, hence the clean di at all times for me :D

The op has the older version like mine I think, is there really much difference between the new and old version do you think, also I have run my 9.2 max with both channels on, both with bass boosted, top rolled off, global LF engaged and bass boosted on a Ray5, played on the B string muted and dubby, f***in Jayzus you couldnt play a gig like that so either the op has smoked a huge spliff and cracked out some huge dubstep lines or something else is going on imo?