Why become a member? ×

Shuker Workshop Update!

Mike

Hi all

Thought this might be of interest to Shuker fans. Just spoke to Jon (regarding a bass he's building for me) and a river that burst it's banks flows right past the workshop - and yesterday, flowed THROUGH the workshop.

Luckily Jon anticipated this and moved all equipment necessary so minimal damage, I believe.

Phew!

Regards

Mike

PS I in no way represent Mr Shuker, just thought some of you Shuker nuts may have been concerned!

[quote name='ste_m3' post='23613' date='Jun 26 2007, 04:26 PM']Goodness me, that would have been tragic! Can you imagine, all those nearly finished basses floating away... i dread to think actually![/quote]

I dread to think as well, being as one of the nearly finished Basses would have been mine. I should have been visiting Jons tomorrow (Friday) to see the bass, but obviously, I've cancelled the visit. Jon has told me that the workshop has been dried out, but he is expecting the worst as another deluge has been forecast for this weekend.
He's not moving anything back in until he gets the all clear. Its set my build back a week, but so what, only 3 weeks now until she's done ! :)

Edited by Johngh

Speaking from experience, my house got flooded out a couple of years ago - took nearly 3 weeks to pull all the moisture out of the house with 4 industrial dehumidifiers! - I don't think he's going to rush to get everything back in.

Hamster

I've just finished speaking to Jon.

He's in the process of clearing as much up as he can and preparing for the deluge forecast over the weekend. Sandbags and wellies seem to be the order of the day.

His wood store escaped from being flooded (which is a great relief - some of the stuff in there is fantastic) and he's basically got the floor area around some of the machines to dry out. He's not planning on moving anything back until after the weekend at the earliest.

The best bit of news is that my bass is 2-3 weeks away. Rar!

Arse - I just saw my Status with it's new Shukerised top floating past a kebeb shop in Doncaster high street surrounded by dead kittens and Richard the thirds!!!!

We've a gig in Rotherham tomorrow night - be like Kevin Costner in Waterworld I reckon. We're doing the ZZ tribute but will see if we can sneak Quo's 'rain' in without being killed !!!

My boat's in South Yorkshire so I went yesterday fearing the worst but the canal and surrounding fields are unaffected. 2 miles away dozens of poor sods are kipping in a sports centre.
Our wonderful BBC local news program thinks it's Xmas - no more 'cat stuck in tree' for a while. Silly woman standing in a flooded street in her wellies asked an elderly couple....

'You've just lost everything you ever worked for and are looking forward to a bleak and insecure future....tell us how you feel about that'.

Brilliant. Pulitzer standard reporting.

[quote name='EntropicLqd' post='24782' date='Jun 29 2007, 11:16 AM']I've just finished speaking to Jon.

He's in the process of clearing as much up as he can and preparing for the deluge forecast over the weekend. Sandbags and wellies seem to be the order of the day.

His wood store escaped from being flooded (which is a great relief - some of the stuff in there is fantastic) and he's basically got the floor area around some of the machines to dry out. He's not planning on moving anything back until after the weekend at the earliest.

The best bit of news is that my bass is 2-3 weeks away. Rar![/quote]

I was up there last weekend before the flood .. he had a stunning fretless hollowbody there he was just stringing .. Not yours was it?
Oh and Dr Dave I have a few pics of yoru st@tu$ body if you'd like them. Jon just had time to fit a mast an dsail before the deluge hit .. PM me?
OG

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='24794' date='Jun 29 2007, 11:27 AM']Oh and Dr Dave I have a few pics of yoru st@tu$ body if you'd like them .. PM me?
OG[/quote]

You wonderful , gorgeous man - let me have your babies!!!!

PM on the way , though you can post them if you wish. Very grateful mate , cheers.

Guest subaudio

Glad Jon didn't suffer too much damage, my heart goes out to all those effected, Sheffield and Doncaster were my old stomping grounds, hope this weekend dosen't see a repeat.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='24792' date='Jun 29 2007, 11:26 AM']Arse - I just saw my Status with it's new Shukerised top floating past a kebeb shop in Doncaster high street surrounded by dead kittens and Richard the thirds!!!!

We've a gig in Rotherham tomorrow night - be like Kevin Costner in Waterworld I reckon. We're doing the ZZ tribute but will see if we can sneak Quo's 'rain' in without being killed !!!

My boat's in South Yorkshire so I went yesterday fearing the worst but the canal and surrounding fields are unaffected. 2 miles away dozens of poor sods are kipping in a sports centre.
Our wonderful BBC local news program thinks it's Xmas - no more 'cat stuck in tree' for a while. Silly woman standing in a flooded street in her wellies asked an elderly couple....

'You've just lost everything you ever worked for and are looking forward to a bleak and insecure future....tell us how you feel about that'.

Brilliant. Pulitzer standard reporting.[/quote]

Yeah Harry and co real cutting edge reporting. Two days ago the only way southwards this side was through Pontefract,and you cant get to selby of the A1 through Cas,coz underneath the flyovers 4 ft deep.

[quote name='subaudio' post='24806' date='Jun 29 2007, 11:43 AM']Glad Jon didn't suffer too much damage, my heart goes out to all those effected, Sheffield and Doncaster were my old stomping grounds, hope this weekend dosen't see a repeat.[/quote]

How do you think I feel,the Calders 150meters from my door. The Nestle Factory and Chemical works have had to be pumped out twice,and Tigers grounds been emptied (Changing rooms are still awash) from 5 feet in the Wheldon road corner (where North and West stand ajoin).

I building a boat. Im ment to have a gig in Otley on the 7th,does the canal run through there?

[quote name='ARGH' post='24813' date='Jun 29 2007, 11:52 AM']How do you think I feel,the Calders 150meters from my door. The Nestle Factory and Chemical works have had to be pumped out twice,and Tigers grounds been emptied (Changing rooms are still awash) from 5 feet in the Wheldon road corner (where North and West stand ajoin).[/quote]

That must put you within a spit of the Rock Factory - shame the basses are 2 floors up , we might have copped a water damaged bargain or two!!

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='24889' date='Jun 29 2007, 01:32 PM']That must put you within a spit of the Rock Factory - shame the basses are 2 floors up , we might have copped a water damaged bargain or two!![/quote]

hey they even stock and appropriately named bass - the Rivertone!

[quote name='OldGit' post='24896' date='Jun 29 2007, 01:46 PM']hey they even stock and appropriately named bass - the Rivertone!

[/quote]

Which - unless I'm very much mistaken , is the handiwork of the owner , John Robinson. He played it in his band - The Outfit - and I had a quick go on it.

Tale from the life of a would be rockstar...
I had a 6 string guitar (sort of) stolen and the rock factory got it back for me when a guy tried to sell it on there. Grateful bunny that I was I took them for a beer at a local hostelry after work. Then another beer , then another etc etc.

Woke up in the middle of the night , room spinning , couldn't quite work out why someone had moved my window but set off to the traps , pleasure bent. Somebody had moved my lightswitch too. Odd.
All of a sudden I've tripped on something in the dark and Neil Peart's doing drum solo. Toms,snare , cymbal crashes...the works.
The light goes on and it's John's wife. They'd scraped me up off the pub floor , taken me home ,put me to bed and in the dark I'd wandered out of their flat , into the drum department and fallen into a drum kit!!!

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='24936' date='Jun 29 2007, 03:03 PM']Which - unless I'm very much mistaken , is the handiwork of the owner , John Robinson. He played it in his band - The Outfit - and I had a quick go on it.

Tale from the life of a would be rockstar...
I had a 6 string guitar (sort of) stolen and the rock factory got it back for me when a guy tried to sell it on there. Grateful bunny that I was I took them for a beer at a local hostelry after work. Then another beer , then another etc etc.

Woke up in the middle of the night , room spinning , couldn't quite work out why someone had moved my window but set off to the traps , pleasure bent. Somebody had moved my lightswitch too. Odd.
All of a sudden I've tripped on something in the dark and Neil Peart's doing drum solo. Toms,snare , cymbal crashes...the works.
The light goes on and it's John's wife. They'd scraped me up off the pub floor , taken me home ,put me to bed and in the dark I'd wandered out of their flat , into the drum department and fallen into a drum kit!!![/quote]

:) :huh: :huh:

Tenner says you got dragged from the 'Crimea' (either that or the Lion)...But Im betting on the former,Yeah Jim keeps a wicked set of Ales on,shame I cant really join in on them,coz hes got "Scapa flow" on now and again and thats a knockout pint.

Floodwaters??? Theres nowt in the 'Factory' I want save a Fender,but I already have one and I just feel 2 of the same standard/specs is excessive,NOW IF GALAXY WENT then I would be ransacking the place,That Black Ricky (Its NOT a 4001...its a 4003) the early 90s white P,GOLD topped LESPAULS,White Vs and a vintage Vox PA...all in a shop that smells,looks,and feels right,and is so small that when you,shopkeep and two of his mates are in (and they always are...chatting) its essentially full.

Boot And shoe for me tonight,if only to watch Les stagger,Export are on.

Do you ever feel that the Lion and the Crimea's stages are really small and boomy! utter basstraps?

It was the Lion on that fateful night!!

We used to play the Crimea regularly - in the end we felt they wanted a heavier band than us so we stopped doing it a couple of years ago.

Boot's a regular for both my bands. Quick 'Les' tale.

Dozy sod had a pub quiz - got on the mic and said (he sounds like Tommy Cooper for those of you who don't know him)

' Question 1 , sport. What sport is famously associated with Edgbaston.......you cricket fans might know this'

Man's a star.

Old Git mentioned he took shots of my Status ,which is having a new top put on , at Jon Shuker's. Here's a pic that he took - many thanks matey.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='25231' date='Jun 30 2007, 10:34 AM']Old Git mentioned he took shots of my Status ,which is having a new top put on , at Jon Shuker's. Here's a pic that he took - many thanks matey.[/quote]

No problem .. of course on Monday it looked like this ..

I've not really been in correspondence with Jon since the flooding, but I did ask if his workshop was alright - he's not lucky enough to be on a hill away from the water like what I am.

S'alright for me in that he hasn't started work on building my bass yet, though it may well knock the build time back a bit. I'll cope though. And I'm sure all his customers won't mind a week or two's delay considering the circumstances! I really hope he gets it all back on track as quickly as possible.

Just spoken with Jon, he said he's had some damage but nothing that's irreplaceable.(he didn't get the second flood thankfully)

He also said that he'll be moving soon to a place near Brough in Derbyshire, he's had enough of the place he's in at the minute, reckons it's jinxed.

[quote name='Tinman' post='27392' date='Jul 5 2007, 12:44 PM']Just spoken with Jon, he said he's had some damage but nothing that's irreplaceable.(he didn't get the second flood thankfully)

He also said that he'll be moving soon to a place near Brough in Derbyshire, he's had enough of the place he's in at the minute, reckons it's jinxed.[/quote]

Hmmm, near Brough eh?

Would that be the village of "Bradwell" then, home of Craft-Supplies? (did I say village? I`ve been through bigger sets of roadworks on a country lane!!)