Why become a member? ×

Forget Me Nots pretty much note for note...

Jah Wibble

[quote name='Jah Wibble' timestamp='1383388696' post='2263876']
Really? Wouldn't have thought it? Thanks for the knowlege
[/quote]

The man himself, with his own line - Co wrote the song as well.
P Bass.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5QYSu9xaTE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5QYSu9xaTE[/url]

[quote name='Jah Wibble' timestamp='1383388471' post='2263874']
.......and tone too. Does anyone know if it was originally recorded with a Yamaha?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRusbYIyRNI[/media]
[/quote]

I know someone who's seen her attempt to play live - apparently it was not in the same league as all the YouTube vids :(

I think Marta is terrific, but it's interesting how Freddie grooves it a bit more -- and after all, that's pretty much all it is -- a groove.

I also think Marta has proved her point. She can do an outstanding job of replicating 70's/80's funk basslines. (Yeah, I know Jameraqui are 90's , but they sound 80's.) She's also adorable.

If I were in a funk band looking for a bassist, I'd hire her in a minute. But as an artist, Maybe she should start utilizing her talent for more than copies, otherwise she'll get stuck known as another YouTube novelty of "Oh, isn't that cute...but, so what" category.

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1383407345' post='2264163']
Her youtube videos got her playing with Jamiroquai on a couple of their tour dates!

I'm slightly jealous of her..
[/quote]

I think this story has done the rounds a few times and it simply isn't true!

She got invited to 'attend' some gigs but never played with them.

I refer to my earlier post above - she may look great on YT but she can't cut it live :(

Edited by molan

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1383395403' post='2263995']
if I were in a funk band looking for a bassist, I'd hire her in a minute. But as an artist, Maybe she should start utilizing her talent for more than copies, otherwise she'll get stuck known as another YouTube novelty of "Oh, isn't that cute...but, so what" category.
[/quote]

like this?

[url="http://youtu.be/Pd2pSLFjOas"]http://youtu.be/Pd2pSLFjOas[/url]

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1383445102' post='2264601']
I think this story has done the rounds a few times and it simply isn't true!

She got invited to 'attend' some gigs but never played with them.

I refer to my earlier post above - she may look great on YT but she can't cut it live :(
[/quote]

Ah :) This makes me feel better now :) She did play with them at soundcheck though it seems, so if they're all there out of picture that is still pretty damn awesome.

Edit. After closer inspection no else appears to be playing but her..

Edited by Myke

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1383477332' post='2264760']

Ah :) This makes me feel better now :) She did play with them at soundcheck though it seems, so if they're all there out of picture that is still pretty damn awesome.

Edit. After closer inspection no else appears to be playing but her..
[/quote]

Yep, was supposed to feature on a couple of songs but wasn't even close to being able to actually play live so got bounced.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1383478606' post='2264785']
Yep, was supposed to feature on a couple of songs but wasn't even close to being able to actually play live so got bounced.
[/quote]

I find this weird. How can she be so tight at it on YT but live she's apparently not as great? Nerves or just not practicing I wonder?

Edited by Myke

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1383479078' post='2264795']

I find this weird. How can she be so tight at it on YT but live she sucks? Nerves or just not practicing I wonder?
[/quote]

I heard Alphonso Johnson talking about this once. He said he'd met several players who killed it when playing to a pre-recorded backing track on headphones in their bedroom / studio but had zero feel for dynamics in a live band environment.

I've come across this a couple of times personally. We auditioned a singer once who had an agency, recording contract, released a single, performed 'live' on many occasions, and to big audiences too.

We started the first song and he was badly off key but, even worse, not even close to being able to keep time. It turned out that in his entire singing 'career' he'd never played with a live band and he simply couldn't handle all the stuff that comes with it. He could hear himself OK but all the band 'input' and dynamics of a live kit etc totally freaked him.

Tried another song and had to give up half way through. Poor guy was distraught :(

His agent was actually the one telling him he needed to get out with a live band and to stop just using pre-recorded backing in order to become a better singer. Sounds like he knew what he was on about!

I also know an absolute wizard of a guitarist. He can shred like a monster and can play all the Vai, Satriani, Malmsteen, Van Halen etc. etc stuff. He can tap and sweep pick and has an amazing depth of tone. He's got a web site where he gives advice to people and has loads of views to his YT channel but he never, ever plays with other musicians.

I think there's just a modern phenomena of 'YouTube bedroom bassists' (Alphonso's phrase) that just have little interest playing with a band. To me it seems a shame because playing alongside other people is what makes it all worth it but I can see the attraction of spending hours practicing to record the perfect take for YT and then publishing it - probably gets a wider audience than many a gigging bassist :(

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1383479078' post='2264795']
I find this weird. How can she be so tight at it on YT but live she sucks? Nerves or just not practicing I wonder?
[/quote]

Quite feasible really - playing along to a click track or recording at home is one thing but replace that with live musicians and you are no longer concentrating solely on your own playing you are also listening to the rest of the rhythm section to keep the whole thing tight - could most likely be put down to having very little or no experience of gigging?