Why become a member? ×

Warwick basses

erisu

Getting very interested in Warwick basses now, especially for their tone! Has anyone successfully bought a new German made Warwick from UK over this past year? I know there's a lot of stock problems with Warwicks. Emailed GAK the other day but they said they don't stock them any more even though they were listed as one of the dealers.

I've emailed Playawayguitars.co.uk just now so just waiting for them to get back to me regards to availability and prices.

Thanks all!

[quote name='erisu' timestamp='1383238003' post='2262003']
Getting very interested in Warwick basses now, especially for their tone! Has anyone successfully bought a new German made Warwick from UK over this past year? I know there's a lot of stock problems with Warwicks. Emailed GAK the other day but they said they don't stock them any more even though they were listed as one of the dealers.

I've emailed Playawayguitars.co.uk just now so just waiting for them to get back to me regards to availability and prices.

Thanks all!
[/quote]

Warwick have essentially priced themselves out of the U.K market and alienated a lot if not all of their existing dealers in the process, going by what I have read on Basschat . Shame, because I would love to buy a German-made Warwick myself, and if and when they slash their prices by half I will probably do so.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1383239660' post='2262033']
Warwick have essentially priced themselves out of the U.K market and alienated a lot if not all of their existing dealers in the process, going by what I have read on Basschat . Shame, because I would love to buy a German-made Warwick myself, and if and when they slash their prices by half I will probably do so.
[/quote] My guess is Warwick think the Rock Bass is the answer. But the RB is not in the same league by a mile.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1383240006' post='2262038']
My guess is Warwick think the Rock Bass is the answer. But the RB is not in the same league by a mile.
[/quote]

If you want a Warwick , you want the real deal . They are exceptionally good-sounding basses in certain instances , but the nice ones are so stratospherically priced in the U.K now that it really makes no sense to buy one . You could get a Wal or even a Fodera for the kind of money they are asking for some of the upmarket models . It's too much to pay for a ( very good) mass production, factory-made bass like that . Add in the poor resale value of the new ones and you can see why they aren't on many people's buying list anymore .

Edited by Dingus

Thanks for your responses guys! Yes it does seem like Warwick are just trying to push their Rockbass and Pro series basses but at a staggering price of nearly £1K, I think not! Makes me wonder how Warwick can survive in the long run if they're just not getting the correct distribution and dealerships! Are they solely just going to rely on their custom productions? Even a Warwick custom is getting ridiculously expensive now too!

I've been trying to source a Warwick $$ Corvette from German music sites but even that I'm finding it difficult to find one for under £2K that's in stock!

Warwick, what's going on?!?!

Geek99 - Did you buy yours new or second hand?

Edited by erisu

I'm getting the impression that Warwick are concentrating on their US market, as well as their German home market. When I spoke to the reps at their LBGS stand last March they actually said they were going to try and improve their position in the UK market - but I imagine they will also have to stop demanding that resellers stock a large number of extremely expensive models no-one can afford before allowing them to become distributors.

I only have Rockbasses but the Corvette 5 GAS hasn't gone away. So far I've only bought new (from Thomann, when Sterling was strong against the Euro). Then again, I'm a leftie and most of the time have no second-hand choice.

Unfortunately the Warwick_Official account here on Basschat, previously run proactively and helpfully by Garey, has been dormant since he left the company.

I once owned a Corvette many moons ago, tone was thick and very growly! The neck wasn't thin but it wasn't chunky for me, but it did feel very, very nice! :)

I'm now thinking of looking for Warwick alternatives! Anyone know of any similar sounding basses? I'm specifically looking for that growly tone that the Wicks produce :) Probably go custom from a luthier using exotic body woods will maybe work out the same as a standard mass production bass?

Edited by erisu

[quote name='erisu' timestamp='1383308072' post='2262897']
I once owned a Corvette many moons ago, tone was thick and very growly! The neck wasn't thin but it wasn't chunky for me, but it did feel very, very nice! :)

I'm now thinking of looking for Warwick alternatives! Anyone kunow of any similar sounding basses? I'm specifically looking for that growly tone that the Wicks produce :) Probably go custom from a luthier using exotic body woods will maybe work out the same as a standard mass production bass?
[/quote]
check out Alpher instruments,a search on here will bring a few basses up mine included.
I have owned three Warwicks in the past & my Alpher kind of reminds me of them only much better.
Plus a sexy custom from these guys is cheaper than a stock Warwick.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1383308648' post='2262910']
check out Alpher instruments,a search on here will bring a few basses up mine included.
I have owned three Warwicks in the past & my Alpher kind of reminds me of them only much better.
Plus a sexy custom from these guys is cheaper than a stock Warwick.
[/quote]

Amen Artisan! I have them on Facebook, I was discussing a custom neck with them before for my current bass. Chris is a very knowledgeable guy too!

Edited by erisu

[quote name='erisu' timestamp='1383309139' post='2262919']

Amen Artisan! I have them on Facebook, I was discussing a custom neck with them before for my current bass. Chris is a very knowledgeable guy too!
[/quote]
good man :)
I can't say enough good things about my Alpher,i just bloody well love it :)
It has a Wenge neck too - i always liked a nice bit of Wenge.
Alpher are awesome to deal with too,highly reccommeded.

Edited by artisan

The problem with Warwicks is they are often great basses with a remarkable sound, but at just about every level , it seems that you can do so much better for the money you would have to spend . A custom shop Warwick could easily set you back as much as a Fodera/ F Bass/ Wal/Spector,ect, all of which are much better basses of a comparable style , and much better investments of that kind of cash.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1383312312' post='2263009']
good man :)
I can't say enough good things about my Alpher,i just bloody well love it :)
It has a Wenge neck too - i always liked a nice bit of Wenge.
Alpher are awesome to deal with too,highly reccommeded.
[/quote]

That sounds very cool! How long did you wait for the bass to finish from the day of payment to the day you got the bass? Any sound clips by any chance? Or is there a thread anywhere of your build diary?

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1383312575' post='2263019']
The problem with Warwicks is they are often great basses with a remarkable sound, but at just about every level , it seems that you can do so much better for the money you would have to spend . A custom shop Warwick could easily set you back as much as a Fodera/ F Bass/ Wal/Spector,ect, all of which are much better basses of a comparable style , and much better investments of that kind of cash.
[/quote]

That's true - though what I love about Warwicks is it feels like quite an exclusive club to be in and as they refer their customers as "being in the Warwick family" There's just something Warwicks that I love, even if other basses are better bought for better investment, a Warwick will always be a Warwick :(

I'm in the "if you want a Warwick, only a Warwick will do" camp and I've had several (all German-made).

As has been said, why would anyone buy new when there are good (read "as new") secondhand examples around for one-third of the new price. For Warwick, that does not spell long-tem success.

Looking on the bright side, if no-one is buying new Warwicks, the value of mine must go up one day, surely, as the supply of secondhand ones dries up?

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1383322453' post='2263210']
I'm in the "if you want a Warwick, only a Warwick will do" camp and I've had several (all German-made).

As has been said, why would anyone buy new when there are good (read "as new") secondhand examples around for one-third of the new price. For Warwick, that does not spell long-tem success.

Looking on the bright side, if no-one is buying new Warwicks, the value of mine must go up one day, surely, as the supply of secondhand ones dries up?
[/quote]

Exactly what I'm thinking! So many 2nd hand Warwicks around going for a good amount of money but I'm abit of a bass snob I have to say as buying 2nd hand is out of the question for me for a main work horse bass, but for backup bass it would be no problem lol

This definitely is not a long-term success for Warwick if this is the road they're going to take sadly saying :(

Hey Jacqueslemac, just curious how much do your $$ Corvette's weigh?

[quote name='erisu' timestamp='1383320131' post='2263163']

That sounds very cool! How long did you wait for the bass to finish from the day of payment to the day you got the bass? Any sound clips by any chance? Or is there a thread anywhere of your build diary?
[/quote]
ah well i was very lucky there as my bass was already built before i even thought about it :)
I had taken another bass through for some work to be carried out,Chris let my play his demo models & i just had to have this bass,it was a eureka moment for me.
Alpher did a couple of things to bring the bass up to their latest specs & refinished the bass for me.
I couldn't be happier with it.
Sorry i don't have any way to record a sound clip but rest assured this bass has serious punch.
Its pretty heavy due to the wood used but i do like a nice solid bass,to me feather light basses sound light.
At last Sundays gig another bands bass player was raving to me about how great my tone was,cool.

Edited by artisan