Why become a member? ×

Electronic Drums

Si600

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1382886334' post='2257550']
This is all new to me, but wouldn't the drummer have a monitor next to the kit, so that the band can hear the drums from behind them?
Please excuse me if that's a daft question! :blush:
[/quote]
Yes but it's just not the same, the jobecky kit and the processor he has are afaik the best electronic kit out there both for sound and looking just like a real kit but they still sound wrong to me, a snare that sounds the same everytime coupled to a kick, hats, snare and cymbals all coming from the same speaker just does not float my boat.

Our new drummer has a top end Roland kit and uses an EV 2x12 powered monitor to deliver the sound, I have to say I prefer the acoustic kit, he is far more restrained on the electric kit as the drum head responses are not the same as the acoustic kit, it sounds ok and I think in a lot of smaller venues we will have to insist that he uses it (he is about as loud as Concorde on the acoustic kit!)

I am wondering if some Perspex acoustic shields might make the acoustic kit useable in smaller venues

Our drummer is a brilliant player and a true pro. He owns an electric kit but point blank refuses to use it for gigs saying that it sounds unnatural and there's a risk of crosstalk. Sometimes if we have a wedding at a venue with a strict db limiter I wish he'd bring it but he's pretty good at playing at the vol required. I definitely prefer the sound and look of acoustic kits but that's just me. I use a reasonably big amp set up as I like the theatre of a big cab and head too. PA and monitors are everything. A clean sounding powerful PA with lots of low end welly is essential to make an electric kit work.

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1382903644' post='2257876']

I am wondering if some Perspex acoustic shields might make the acoustic kit useable in smaller venues
[/quote]

they only work if you full mic the kit and who knew but perspex is brilliant at reflecting sound plus its another big heavy piece of kit to carry around

If someone asked me if, on an upcoming gig, I could play it not on my bass but on a keyboard instead, I'd tell them to royally f**k off. I wish drummers would stop agreeing to use electric kits at gigs. They sound and look terrible. And by all accounts the heads don't even respond like a real drum either. I had to suffer on of these kits at a recent restaurant gig. It wouldn't have been as bad if the guy could play, but no, it was a case of no toys and no talent either. That was a long, painful evening. Thankfully it'll be a long time before I have to hear one of those kits on stage again.

Edited by ratman

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1382884422' post='2257526']
How much do you have to pay for a half decent kit, as my drummer mate has just bought a Yamaha electric kit for just under £2,000, would that do a good job?
[/quote]

The Yamaha DTX kit was @ £3-400 2nd hand. Through a decent PA, this sounded pretty good. But then he's a really good drummer & can even make the kitchen pans sound awesome.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1382981432' post='2258766']
The Yamaha DTX kit was @ £3-400 2nd hand. Through a decent PA, this sounded pretty good. But then he's a really good drummer & can even make the kitchen pans sound awesome.
[/quote]It would seem that my mate has got himself a pretty decent kit then?
I'm looking forward to hearing it.

I did a couple of gigs depping in a band which had an electric kit.
The first gig was in a pub and there were no monitors, except for one which had just the drums in, pointing at the drummer, away from me so the only way i could hear him was to lean over him and pretty much tilt my head on his shoulder.
I mentioned it to him for the next gig and he put the monitor on his other side, pointing at me. This meant all I could hear was him....

The sound was ok, but it's enough to not quite put me off but it means I'll need more convincing..