Why become a member? ×

Going back to passive

badboy1984

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1382620842' post='2254511']
As long as the return to passive basses isn't accompanied with the side order of "active basses are the devil's work" then you go and do whatever pleases you in this regard :)
[/quote]

Yup, we all know that active basses sound harsh and digital, whereas passive basses sound warm, organic and farmhousey [joke].

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1382952413' post='2258245']
Yup, we all know that active basses sound harsh and digital, whereas passive basses sound warm, organic and farmhousey [joke].
[/quote]

"Rrrrrrrrrrr, bleep bloop", said the RD Artist.

• 2 months later...

Question: Does an onboard Preamp load the pickups differently than an outboard Preamp? I'm curious because I never like any active basses I try generally, but going through an outboard from a passive seems to retain the pickups raw passive character better.
It may be that I'm just not liking the the specific pre's in most basses? Maybe I just need to rip the guts out of a VT Bass pre and throw it in a bass! Ha Ha!

Edited by Grissle

I've always thought of active basses as being more modern, scooped and clean sounding than passive ones, although I've come to change my mind a bit recently as to how much effect the preamp has on the over all sound of a bass. I've recently aquired a corvette and when played through the preamp it sounds woody,punchy, growly and well... like a Warwick. When you switch it to passive it sounds woody, punchy, growly and also like a Warwick... ie the fundamental tone of the instrument isn't from the preamp.

Having said that it's not the same for all basses and my love of the wal sound is definitely from that preamp... Not to say that I exclusivly prefer actives though, my jazz works very well in an acoustic project I've just joined.

The batteries ran out in my Big Al months ago and despite having spares I've felt no need to change them.
It still has the big full sound I like in passive mode, with plenty of the bite you would expect from a Musicman.
And that's with really dead strings too...

I prefer passive, for the most part, but active has its adavantages on the type of gigs we do...which are much more fraught sound wise than a pro stage would be.
So the convenience of the active has its place, IMV.....for those quick adjustments when someone else in the band alters the sound dynamaic.
We are pretty good at keeping our sound though and we can always hear ALL parts that are played and sung.

My sounds never strays too far from a passive sounds anyway...and it is insist on using all your boost from the pre.... you get away from the character of the bass and into the character of the pre...
For me, it is merely an inhancing tool.... not a sound in itself..and once I have set the tone for the evening, which in itself takes merely a couple of minutes, that is me for the evening. I tend to go passive, when the P.A and monitoring is very good.

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1389914681' post='2339619']
Passive vs active isn't black and white. It's a voltage signal. It's amplified somewhere. Onboard or outboard the signal ceases to be passive at some point.
[/quote]

indeed, it makes me chuckle sometimes when I hear these "organic bassy goodness vs active modern" arguments, as the passive fundamentalists appear to speak as though they did not use any other electronics in their signal path, not even an amplifier! :lol:

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1389964373' post='2340022']
IME the Wal sound is mainly from the pickups. I've played passive Wals that still sound like Wals; listen to Leigh Gorman. His Wal Pro is passive.
[/quote]

and the same thing goes for Stingrays. The preamp allows you to get a variety of tones... the sound of a passive Stingray (as in simply bypassing the preamp) is still unmistakeably Stingray, and is just one of the many tones you can get from the preamp.