Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

cleaning maple fretboards

bobbytodd

today I managed to get a second hand a squire vmj for for £120.im really pleased with the playability sound and construction the only thing that im not to happy about is the fretboard its filthy.now I've only ever had basses with rosewood boards so im really not sure the best way to clean it up and make it nice again.so any advice would be appreciated

Edited by bobbytodd

I had the same thing with my unfinished maple board basses...

Lighter fluid on a cloth and some elbow grease worked a treat... Then I just used some floor whipes I got for £1.49 and polished it off!!!

Took me half an hour-an hour and voila, a clean board and neck!

I don't know Lemon oil. Ao I just found it on the Gak site.

I don't see why not. If the dirt is heavy and the wood "dry", and lacking in oil, I would suggest white sprit to wash off first, then finish with Lemon Oil. The thinking here is to not get dirty Lemon Oil soaked into the wood.

If it's a maple fingerboard, it is likely to be finished meaning that lemon oil is not needed as it will have nowhere to soak in. Lemon oil is usually used on open, unfinished woods (like rosewood) as it soaks in and remoisturisers the wood. With a finished wood like maple, lemon oil will not soak in and can stain the finish if used excessively. Just use a damp soapy cloth and then polish it.

and there's also this

[url="http://www.music-man.com/faq/music-man-guitars/how-do-i-clean-and-maintain-my-music-man-neck.html"]http://www.music-man.com/faq/music-man-guitars/how-do-i-clean-and-maintain-my-music-man-neck.html[/url]

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1382249181' post='2249637']
Silly question but Can lemon oil be used on a maple fretboard ? I have only had rosewood boards in the past so also wondered .....sorry for the slight thread hijack :)
[/quote]

From the instructions on my bottle of Dunlop 'Fretboard 65' lemon oil:[b] [i](Note: Not for use on maple fretboards.) [/i][/b]

From the Lakland web site:

Q. What recommendations do you have for maintaining the neck on my Lakland Skyline bass?

A. The necks on our Skyline series are relatively maintenance-free but should be cleaned with pure orange oil periodically. Avoid cleaners that contain added thinners or silicone.

We also recommend orange oil for cleaning the fingerboards. The maple fingerboard does not require any sealer after cleaning. We recommend Howard Brand Feed N Wax after cleaning for our rosewood and ebony fingerboards.

[quote name='Turk' timestamp='1382297289' post='2250373']
From the instructions on my bottle of Dunlop 'Fretboard 65' lemon oil:[b] [i](Note: Not for use on maple fretboards.) [/i][/b]
[/quote]

isn't this because they are assuming the maple fretboards are lacquered?
Many maple fretboards are lacquered, but many aren't...

Just to add...

Naked maple boards are high maintenance. To help prolong the appearance of your maple, wipe down the neck with a clean cloth after you play...even if after a short time. It really helps. And don't take long periods between cleaning. If your board develops patches of that horrible green stain it usually means that the grime has aborbed into the wood and it's incredibly difficult to remove without sanding. That's exactly what happened to one of my old Patrick Eggle LA custom guitars years ago. I certainly learnt my lesson and I make every effort to keep on top of my cleaning regime.

Edited by shizznit

I've used alcohol wipes (and a pick if it's really gunky!) before, because the alcohol flashes straight off and doesn't get into the wood. Avoid getting it too wet if you do use a cloth because it'll get into the gain of the wood and raise it slighty, and may cause problems where the frets are seated. Just use a slightly damp cloth if you want to go this route, preferably a micro fibre one.

The reason you should NEVER use lemon oil on a lacquered maple board, is that the oil inevitably gets under the lacquer eventually (again, where the frets are seated and any other cracks or breaks in the finish), and will cause it to start lifting and coming away from the wood. This quickly becomes a slippery slope.....