Why become a member? ×

Will you still be giging double bass at 90? Check out this awesome video.

geoffbassist

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I know there are often posts about age and playing the bass so thought this would be of interest.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]This video is a real gem. The moving story of double bassist Charlie Burrell who is aged 90 and still giging, What a cool guy! [/font][/color]

http://vimeo.com/26489908

Edited by geoffbassist

Gigging? I doubt I'll be alive. Seriously though, I'm past 70 now and although I still average three a week I've got to face the possibility of stopping soon. I still play OK and knock up an awesome amount of miles up and down the country but I don't want to be 'the old guy in the band' and certainly wouldn't want to be a 90 year old curiosity.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1381682323' post='2242240']
Gigging? I doubt I'll be alive. Seriously though, I'm past 70 now and although I still average three a week I've got to face the possibility of stopping soon. I still play OK and knock up an awesome amount of miles up and down the country but I don't want to be 'the old guy in the band' and certainly wouldn't want to be a 90 year old curiosity.
[/quote]

If you can play well you're never going to be a curiosity, you're just going to be looked at as a good player. Had Charlie Burrell been c**p then he wouldn't be finding people to play with. I suspect the same will go for the rest of us.

Steve

[/quote]

Great bass playing never goes out of fashion Roger. To get booked as much as you do you must be doing a great job!

I love the Milt Hinton video as well.

[/quote]

Alternatively, if you continue to fulfil the rôle of bassist in line with the other members' expectation and still enjoy it, why stop unless infirmity demands it?

• 2 weeks later...