Why become a member? ×

Coming Out Of Lurkdom !!

madshadows

Hi Folks

I'm John and live in SE London on the borders of Blackheath/Lewisham, played bass many, many years ago in my teens and early twenties but stopped when I got married and started raising the kids :P

Recently got back playing on my old six string Yamaha Pacifica which I have had for many years and I'm looking to start bass playing again, went to Eric Lindsey Music in Catford (nearest shop to me via a walk) today with my youngest son Joe and tried a few basses (a Fender Jazz bass & an Ibanez SR500) which was an experience, I had forgot that the frets on a bass are quite a bit bigger than a normal electric 6 string! but it was terrific to play a bass again :)

The two basses above are a bit out of my range at the moment but I quite like the look of a Yamaha RBX170 or an Ibanez GSR180/200 or a SR300) as they are something I might be able to afford in a few months ;)

Anyway I better stop prattling on.

See ya John

Welcome to Basschat!

Some basses have frets the same size as guitars if you do some research, a Jazz bass modelled on a 60's Jazz should be just the ticket.

You'd get more value for your money buying secondhand from this here forum :)

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1381338267' post='2237864']
You'd get more value for your money buying secondhand from this here forum :)
[/quote]

He's right you know, and you'll be pretty much guaranteed it will genuinely have been pre-loved. There's some great people here, you'll be in good company!

Welcome!

Thanks for the welcomes :)

Thought I'd post a couple of pics of my old Marshall 100 Bass Combo, now sadly not working and living under the stairs as I can't seem to throw it away !! :P

John :D

[attachment=145722:IMGP0982.JPG]

[attachment=145723:IMGP0983.JPG]

[attachment=145724:IMGP0984.JPG]

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1381344463' post='2237967']
I bet someone would buy that if you put it up for sale on here, more funds for you bass purchase :)
[/quote]

Hi Rumble and fellow SE Londoner - can't believe that's worth anything, It's my fault it's not powering up at least!, I dragged it in the living room yesterday and it powered on fine but the input jacks were not working, took off the back panel to see if I could see behind the front control panel for loose wires but could only see the speakers, I then fiddled about with the fuses at the back and now it won't power on, don't know why I just didn't leave it alone !!, what an idiot :P

Right back to looking at basses on-line :yarr:

John B)

[quote name='madshadows' timestamp='1381357466' post='2238171']
Hi Rumble and fellow SE Londoner
[/quote]

Might be worth posting a topic in the repairs section John, there's some pretty smart folk on here that might be able to help you fix your broken amp.

Well my Bass journey is sort of starting again, managed to pick up a couple of bass related books via Ebay (Beginners Bass Scales & Chord Bassics) for about a fiver this week which arrived yesterday and look like they will be useful and this afternoon a STAGG CA 20B practice amp for the princely sum of £10.57! via Ebay again, I know it's a top make but I'm sure it'll be fine for practice at home ! :P

Now I just have to buy a bass but the good news is the son of my wife's mate has a bass guitar I can borrow for a while while I save for a bass :)

Happy days ;)

John :yarr:

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1381691141' post='2242457']
Good going, John!
Practice amps will never go out of style, even when they're top makes. ;-)
Have they told you what model that bass is?
[/quote]

Thanks and no I don't know what model it is, it'll be a nice surprise I hope ! :P

John

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1381745344' post='2242984']
You're lucky I'm a psychic.
It's called something like a Foreda or something. I'd need a picture of your naked girlfriend to extract more detail.
[/quote]

You are in luck, I took some of the wife last night, I'll PM them to you LOL :P

John B)

[quote name='madshadows' timestamp='1381337259' post='2237847']
Hi Folks

I'm John and live in SE London on the borders of Blackheath/Lewisham, played bass many, many years ago in my teens and early twenties but stopped when I got married and started raising the kids :P
See ya John
[/quote]

Hi there John, and welcome to the forum

I too gave up playing after getting married & having my son
I really regret that now - particularly as I didn't play for a long time :o

However, I started playing a few years back, and I'm just so glad I did :)
Oddly enough, my ex-wife bought my son a bass one Christmas
and that spurred me on, to pick up bass again, and give him a few pointers

He's now a better player than me,
but the key is that I'm enjoying playing again, and never looked back

Hope you get a bass soon
and welcome back to the world of bass playing :)

Marc

Well finally was able to get hold of a Bass yesterday (a loaner from the wife's mates son), It's only an Encore P Bass copy and it's not great to play but beggars can't be choosers !!, reckon it will make playing a better bass when I get one much easier though so that's all good :P

The action is pretty high but it's bearable and I've been putting into practice on the bass what I'd been doing on my normal 6 string electric (Yamaha Pacifica 112M). Been learning all the notes on the strings via a handy Android tablet app, doing scales (Major, Minor & Blues ones mainly), learnt quite a few simple riffs to play (Iron Man - Black Sabbath, Stand By Me - Ben E King, Peaches - The Stranglers, Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple, Sunshine Of Your Love - Cream plus a couple more), also been learning about and playing triads & arpeggios, YouTube is a great tool for helping to learn :)

Anyway enough waffle here's a pic of the bass

John :yarr:

PS Hoping to get my little Bass Combo this weekend when one of the daughters visits as her hubby picked it from the guy I bought it off on Ebay :)

Got my little STAGG CA20B Bass Combo today, it's a good little amp and an absolute bargain for £10.57 off Ebay!

Felt great to finally hear my borrowed bass through an amp, just been noodling about for a couple of hours.

Really enjoying playing again and re-learning the bass, loving it :D

John :)

PS Pics below of the amp and guitar.

[attachment=146889:IMGP1016.JPG][attachment=146890:IMGP1017.JPG][attachment=146891:IMGP1018.JPG]