Why become a member? ×

Newbie buying advice

JazzyYama

Ok I've played guitar for a few years and I just can't ignore the fact that I prefer lower frequencies :) I'd be grateful for any good suggestions advice about buying my first bass and amp.

[u][b]Guitar choice[/b][/u]
[i]Budget for bass:[/i] 300-500
[i]Type of bass:[/i] 5-string fretted
[i]Sound: [/i]Fingerstyle Jazz sound with best tone available for £
[i]Preferred brand:[/i] Yamaha, but would consider anything reliable

What I've looked at so far:

[b]TRBX305 -[/b] the tone options seem a bit gimmicky
[b]TRBX505 -[/b] looks pretty neat, need a bit of shopping around maybe to bring within price range
[b]RBX5A2 - [/b]love the idea of a lightweight construction, but the thing looks like something plasticky from the 80s

Are any of the above realistic choices, or is there something better out there for the type of sound, or would I be mad not to think about going fretless?

[u][b]Amp choice[/b][/u]
Probably looking at something solid-state and medium powered, ideally a really flexible amp suitable for bass/keyboard/jazz guitar - does such a thing really exist? Budget around 400

You can`t go wrong with a Yam and those new one`s seem to be good. Also, Ibanez make a lot of good 5 stringers. Several of the guys on here play SR 505`s and really rate them. Or how about a Standard Fender Jazz, though with your budget, it would need to be s/hand. Or a Modern player 5 string such as the one below.

[url="http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/bass/5-string/fender-modern-player-jazz-bass-v-satin-black-maple.html"]http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/bass/5-string/fender-modern-player-jazz-bass-v-satin-black-maple.html[/url]

As a fan of Yamaha basses, I'm all for recommended the TRBX 504. It has a fantastic low B, as opposed to the RBXA2 which doesn't. The TRB range in general is probably going to be discontinued at some point, so you'll find a few retailers selling them off cheaply in the near future (I reckon). Other than that, keep your eyes peeled for a second-hand TRB.

Outside of Yamaha, there are the [b]Ibanez[/b] 5-strings, although you don't see them for sale very often and they aren't known for being 'jazz' sounding. The [b]G&L L2500 Tribute[/b] would give you that, although it has a chunky neck (which is why I got rid of mine). You could also look for a 5-string [b]Spector[/b]. They are wonderful basses to play and if you look around, you can find the neck-thru models for a very decent amount of money. I've never played the 5-string versions, but I've not heard anything bad about them. And they do have EMGs too but you'll find that they're very versatile.

As far as the amp goes, perhaps look for a[b] TC Electronic BH250[/b] and pair it with a nice 2x12 cab. I owned a BH250 and cannot recommend them enough, although they are quite modern. And concerning flexibility, you might be hard pushed to find something suitable for all of those things.

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1381096005' post='2234395']
As far as the amp goes, perhaps look for a[b] TC Electronic BH250[/b] and pair it with a nice 2x12 cab.
[/quote]

Great advice on the amp, never thought of getting amp/cab setup - how would a 2x12 compare against say a 1x15 - which would be better for cleanest sounds or is it more about where you are playing etc.

[quote name='JazzyYama' timestamp='1381097162' post='2234406']
Great advice on the amp, never thought of getting amp/cab setup - how would a 2x12 compare against say a 1x15 - which would be better for cleanest sounds or is it more about where you are playing etc.
[/quote]

As I understand it, different speaker sizes won't effect how 'clean' a bass will sound as you get so many different factors going into how the bass will sound coming out the cab (like cab size and drivers and all that stuff I know nothing about :)).

If you're using it to perform, or even if you use it to monitor yourself, you'd be much better off with a 2x12 as you'll have much more projection from having twice the amount of speakers.

Edited by Jellyfish

+1 to Jazz bass, nice thin neck and very easy to mod in the future and good value when s/h.

Amp wise I'd check out Ashdowns. ABM series is probably a touch out of your budget but it's hybrid so valve pre and solid drive. The all SS Ashdown is the MAG series, both sound great and are affordable!

[quote name='alembic63' timestamp='1381102870' post='2234488']
Check out the Squire 60s classic vibe jazz bass, for just over £300 it beats the pants off basses 2 x the price, you can put the £200 you save on the bass and up your budget for the amp to £600 .. :)
[/quote]
Nice, but I can't seem to see a 5-string version?

[quote name='alembic63' timestamp='1381102870' post='2234488']
Check out the Squire 60s classic vibe jazz bass, for just over £300 it beats the pants off basses 2 x the price, you can put the £200 you save on the bass and up your budget for the amp to £600 .. :)
[/quote]

[b]I don't know if I'm the only one,[/b] but I've tried a couple of 5 string versions of the Squier stuff and it really doesn't compete with the Yamaha's (both the TRBX and BB stuff)! Their 4 string counterparts are great, however.

Personally, in your position I'd go for either a TRBX505 or an Ibanez SR505/605 (prefer the 605 myself!), and probably one of the TC Electronic BG250 combos (whichever speaker choice you prefer. I'd probably go for the 12").

It's all down to personal preference and what suits you best though, so you really need to get out there and try as much stuff as you can, if at all possible.

Thanks very much for all your advice, really helping me explore my options and raising things I hadn't thought about. So far I think the TRBX505 really looks great. I'm not sure if i'll be able to find it in stock somewhere to try out though (I'm in Scotland :) so I might have to take a flyer on it. I have only a couple of worries remaining with it:

[b]scale length[/b] - it seems to be a 5-string with 34" scale length - will this mean a pretty annoying slack 5th?

[b]nickel hardware [/b]- with my sweaty mitts, I did wonder if this can be liable to causing allergies or wearing out or anything - anyone experience of this?

[b]Amps. [/b]
The TC BH250 looks pretty good (ignoring the safety issue product recall :/) - however, the manuf website seems to suggest 2 2x12 cabs would be needed, and that looks quite expensive as an option. Why don't they list 1 2x12 cab as an option, is there some issue with needing 2 cabs to cope with power output? The BG250 1x15 combo looks really inexpensive in comparison (as low as 250) - would i only lose a bit of oomph?

Noticed there are some excellent deals available on [b]Marshall MB150[/b] at the moment (also around 250) - I appreciate lower output, but is that sort of combo worth looking at at all in terms of tone/clarity? EDIT - I now notice it doesn't have a tweeter, so reckon I wouldn't like so much the missing high frequency response

Edited by JazzyYama

Red Dog Music in Edinburgh had a few TRBX models in the other week, give them a shout. They also had a second hand TRB1004, which might give you an idea as to what the TRB1005 models are like.

There's no inherent reason a 34" will have a bad B, but if you're worried about it then try one first.

For amps, have you checked out the Hartke LH range?

A 34" scale doesn't necessarily mean a slack B, but it can do. The bass needs to be well designed for a 34" 5er to work well imho. Of course, on the flipside, although a 35" scale 5er will have no issues with a sloppy B, the neck does feel that bit longer, and all of the other strings are under increased tension too which can make it feel like "harder work". This is precisely why I don't like 35" basses any more.

Personally, I would expect that the BG250 would be ample for your needs (and probably better than the Marshall), although maybe it's worth ringing somewhere that stocks them and asking their opinion?

OK, someone has to ask - why do you think you need 5 strings?

Without wishing to incur the wrath of the 5-string community (hey, I mostly play 5s myself), I'd have to say that life is a lot simpler and there are many more choices with 4. If I wasn't playing in a band with a singer who needs the pitch of songs dropped below the 4-string range, I wouldn't bother with 5s.

[quote name='JazzyYama' timestamp='1381198302' post='2235722']
[b]Amps. [/b]
The TC BH250 looks pretty good (ignoring the safety issue product recall :/) - however, the manuf website seems to suggest 2 2x12 cabs would be needed, and that looks quite expensive as an option. Why don't they list 1 2x12 cab as an option, is there some issue with needing 2 cabs to cope with power output? The BG250 1x15 combo looks really inexpensive in comparison (as low as 250) - would i only lose a bit of oomph?
[/quote]

You don't need to have an additional cabinet for a BH, it just allows you to use the full 'grunt' of the amplifier if you require it. Depends on what your gigging requirements are really but the BH gives you the flexibility of adding another cab should you need it (and allows a mix of speaker sizes then too). Saying that though, mine has not been gigged. I would try both of them in a store if you have one local.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1381220454' post='2235827']
OK, someone has to ask - why do you think you need 5 strings?

Without wishing to incur the wrath of the 5-string community (hey, I mostly play 5s myself), I'd have to say that life is a lot simpler and there are many more choices with 4. If I wasn't playing in a band with a singer who needs the pitch of songs dropped below the 4-string range, I wouldn't bother with 5s.
[/quote]
well, i think you are either the sort of chap that appreciates a big bottom, or you are not...

i think the five string is a good balance of playable string spacing and a reasonable amount of notes available at each position. Other than a fewer number of basses being available i don't see much downside to adding an extra string. I can cope well with 6 on a standard guitar so why not?

toys arrived. first impressions Yamaha TRBX505 is pretty good - really nice fit and finish, only slight downside is as you would expect I guess a bit of a loose B-string.
Amplifier really disappointing however, on switching on the TC Electronics BG250, there was a pop and sparks from the back of the amp! I am returning that therefore, and my quest for a decent (and preferably safe) amplifier continues. I understand that from time to time you might get a particular faulty item, but looking at the safety recall on BH and the experience of some other uses, I dont think I would like to risk another TC product :(

[quote name='JazzyYama' timestamp='1381825107' post='2244104']
toys arrived. first impressions Yamaha TRBX505 is pretty good - really nice fit and finish, only slight downside is as you would expect I guess a bit of a loose B-string.
Amplifier really disappointing however, on switching on the TC Electronics BG250, there was a pop and sparks from the back of the amp! I am returning that therefore, and my quest for a decent (and preferably safe) amplifier continues. I understand that from time to time you might get a particular faulty item, but looking at the safety recall on BH and the experience of some other uses, I dont think I would like to risk another TC product :(
[/quote]
Shame about the amp! TC's are normally quite good in my experience, I'd take a look at the Ashdown amps as a replacement, very good amps :)

As for your Yamaha, maybe some Balanced Tension strings by D'addario, that might tighten your B up, if not then look at a setup is what I'd suggest?