Why become a member? ×

An Epiphany About Basses

Lowender

Whilst a lot of the tone is down to the player, I do find it a coincidence that when looking at all of my fave bassists, they invariably are Precision users. Maybe the tone of the instrument does have a bearing on this? After all, when I was 11 - 15 I didn`t know there were different types of basses, only the ones that I liked the sound of. Strange that they were virtually all the same type.

[quote name='John Cellario' timestamp='1381083558' post='2234194']
'He manages to make it work but personally I think it's a pretty horrible sound.......as bass sounds go.'

Can't agree with this...I love Andy Frasers sound and have spent the last thirty years trying to get somewhere near it!
[/quote]
[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1381131669' post='2234580']
You are Neil Murray and I claim my five pounds. :)
[/quote]
[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1381144794' post='2234832']
I'd be happy to sound like Neil Murray.
[/quote]

I've spent the last thirty-odd years trying to emulate Neil Murray ( among others) . What a fantastic and underrated bass player he is .

Both Neil Murray and Andy Frazer ( who doubtless influenced Neil) are players whohave a very distinct , rubberry sound that cuts through the mix, regardless of what bass they play . Both use a very pronounced and agressive right hand plucking technique that goes a long way to creating that sound . Especially back before bass amps and cabs were as hi-fi as they are nowadays , but still to a great extent , if you play rock music on the bass without a pick then you need to create your own attack on the strings to get some cut .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1381152581' post='2234997']
Whilst a lot of the tone is down to the player, I do find it a coincidence that when looking at all of my fave bassists, they invariably are Precision users. Maybe the tone of the instrument does have a bearing on this? After all, when I was 11 - 15 I didn`t know there were different types of basses, only the ones that I liked the sound of. Strange that they were virtually all the same type.
[/quote]
It's probably more down to the fact that 90% of all bassists at any point in history have used a P :ph34r:

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1381154760' post='2235035']
I've spent the last thirty-odd years trying to emulate Neil Murray ( among others) . What a fantastic and underrated bass player he is .

Both Neil Murray and Andy Frazer ( who doubtless influenced Neil) are players whohave a very distinct , rubberry sound that cuts through the mix, regardless of what bass they play . Both use a very pronounced and agressive right hand plucking technique that goes a long way to creating that sound . Especially back before bass amps and cabs were as hi-fi as they are nowadays , but still to a great extent , if you play rock music on the bass without a pick then you need to create your own attack on the strings to get some cut .
[/quote]

I had to look up Neil Murray on Wikipedia and he seems to have made a career of being in bands I really don't like.

Anyway, I thought this was a thread about Epiphone.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1381268262' post='2236875']
I had to look up Neil Murray on Wikipedia and he seems to have made a career of being in bands I really don't like.

[b]Anyway, I thought this was a thread about Epiphone.[/b]
[/quote]
No, it's about Epifani init?

I see it like this. If I were given a Mont Blanc fountain pen and a Bic Biro I'd still have the same crappy handwriting irrespective of which one I used. The colour and style of writing would be similar but you'd not really know one was written with a pen costing 60p and the other a £600. If you have nice handwriting it'll show through and likewise for a bass. You're gonna sound like you no matter what you play through - sure some basses can get clanky or rootsy but you're always gonna gravitate to your sound regardless. I know a new bass will offer some alternative home options but I know for me I dig the passive 'Fender' sounds but a little modern scoop never hurt anyone. Still can't plAt for toffee though........and my writing is awful too :)