Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB1200 from 1977.... tell me about it...

LukeFRC

If it's in original condition and good working order then it's potentially a superb bass. This era of Yamaha's and similar Japanese makers like Ibanez was a golden age of Far Eastern high quality instruments. If the bass is for sale at a good price , I would be very interested if I were in your position .

I have a BB800 from probably 1978, bought S/H in 1979, love it dearly and intend to be buried with it.

The BB1200 is even better - neck-through construction, Ebony board, usual Yamaha attention to detail. I don't think you can beat neck-through MIJ Yamahas. Precisions from the same era aren't even close, ironic when you consider they fetch a lot more money.

Famous users include McCartney, Peter Hook, Chris Cross, at least one of those is likely to resonate :-)

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-BB1200-Bass-Natural-Japan-MIJ-Gig-Bag-Macassar-Ebony-Set-Up-/121186199442?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c3742a792"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c3742a792[/url]

Not sure how old this one is, but could it be a good price, even with postage and duty..?
There is a date on that repair bill, but I can't read it.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1380823559' post='2231195']
What colour is it? Just out of curiosity.
[/quote] natural wood colour - it looks lovely I got confused to begin with as it doesn't have the model number on the headstock - then found out the really early one's don't.
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1380833098' post='2231400']
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-BB1200-Bass-Natural-Japan-MIJ-Gig-Bag-Macassar-Ebony-Set-Up-/121186199442?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c3742a792"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c3742a792[/url]

Not sure how old this one is, but could it be a good price, even with postage and duty..?
There is a date on that repair bill, but I can't read it.
[/quote] 22/7/13 (but written in american)
[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1380832857' post='2231396']
If the price is right I'd rip his arm off. I've been looking for an early BB for years.
[/quote] It's a good price, original case and everything.... aargh... but don't really want to start trying to have less basses and guitars around and end up with more.... feel free to ask me where it is if you're interested - he's a nice guy

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1380825080' post='2231240']
The top model in the BB range, as introduced in '77. At that time Yamaha also produced the SB range. The BB was its competitor to the Fender Precision, and the SB to the Fender Jazz. Original BB models have quite chunky necks, with a 43.5mm nut. Neck constructed of maple and mahogany, with an ebony touchboard. Wings were constructed of alder.

With an original Nippon Gakki branded hardcase and tool kit and accessories you'll pay between £550 and £650. Knock off £100 if there's no tool kit and accessories. Knock off another £50 if there's no original case.
[/quote] you're a good salesman!

[quote name='jaybass 70' timestamp='1381050514' post='2233656']
I have a 79' BB1200 , great bass , superb construction and Sound, its the one I would rescue from the fire. For the price of these Basses you cant go wrong
[/quote] the one i've found is £400, in great condition with the case... it's really really tempting!

• 2 weeks later...

A good example of one of these basses would be a keeper , in my opinion .

I bet if you A/B'd a nice one in good working order of these against other P-style basses currently on the market you would have to get into the £2000 and above price range to find instruments of comparable performance. I remember seeing Verdine White from Earth Wind And Fire playing one of these , as well as Paul Jackson with Herbie Hancocks at the very end of the 1970's. I also remember reading Lee Sklar talking about what remarkable sounding basses these were , too( he used one of these for the to record the bass part on "Your Smiling Face" by James Taylor , apparently , and credits its' tone for inspiring the engineer to mix the up-front sound of the bass guitar on that track) , so potentially a great bass with a great heritage for somebody.

Go on Mark ( or somebody else) , you know you want to!

Edited by Dingus