Why become a member? ×

October Composition Competition

Skol303

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1380755127' post='2230305']
I voted for you, Dad (really, I did) :)
[/quote]

...which just goes to prove the point...

Too damned rushed. Serves you right. :P

(...[i]at which juncture I should, in all politeness, extend thanks for your kind patronage of my measly efforts. Am I going to..? You bet..! I need all the votes I can muster..! Keep 'em coming..![/i] :happy: )

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1380793927' post='2230553']I wrote it and recorded it in less than 30 minutes. I am a bad man[/quote]

You see... if I could put together something like that in 30 minutes I'd consider myself as having 'made it', musically speaking.

I know I receive more than my fair share of plaudits in these competitions (much to others' chagrin, I'm sure :P) but the process by which I go about writing is nowhere near as spontaneous - it's much more 'engineered'.

So hats off to you mate. This sort of thing - just hitting record and nailing it - always gets huge respect from my corner. It's partly why I'm enjoying working with Mike (urb) outside of these challenges - his improv skills are, like yours, a real credit to his musicianship and a breath of fresh air in my world of otherwise obsessively planned and programmed sounds.

[i]Now if you'd just let me add a drum'n'bass beat beneath that bassline, maybe get a rapper involved, and...[/i] ;)

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1380793927' post='2230553']
PPS I wrote it and recorded it in less than 30 minutes. I am a bad man B)
[/quote]

See, when you can turn out a performance like that in < 30 minutes, you can probably understand why most of us thought it was you playing that cello on last month's entry!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1380796755' post='2230619']I don't really do back-beats, guys. I am sure that is why I keep losing out ;)[/quote]

I'm a sucker for a back-beat. I once read that the appeal of such rhythms has something to do with the Golden Ratio. Then I read elsewhere that it was complete baloney. Whatever. There's certainly some kind of voodoo to them!

Hi all, great pic Skol and I see you won again last month so I didn't miss much then :P I have finally got my room sorted and have set my stuff up again so shiver in your boots this month Skol, I am back with a vengeance :D ( just thought if I had a room of my own to work in the creative juices would be unstoppable, but then again you know what thought did :) ) Great entries last month from everyone, just had a listen but was too late to vote, sorry everyone :blush:

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1380796084' post='2230603']
but the process by which I go about writing is nowhere near as spontaneous - it's much more 'engineered'.
[/quote]

my song writing is spontaneous, that is why my entering is sporadic... if the picture grabs me i can write and record a song in a matter of a few hours.... if i can't get in that mindset i don't bother generally

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1380654708' post='2228584']
[b]Here's the photo for your inspiration:[/b]

If you have any questions about the competition rules then please get in touch :)

[b][size=5][color=#B22222]The deadline for entries is 24th October... get to it![/color][/size][/b]
[/quote]
[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1380655263' post='2228597']
...the dark nights are drawing in, the Tories are in town and I need a holiday! :blink:

Hence the inspiration behind this month's image. Hope it's alright for y'all.
[/quote]

:hi: This is more than alright! .. set the photo as my laptop wallpaper to remind me.. so thanks for sharing Skol. Missed last month's (had an idea, but just couldn't make it fit).. Hope I can do the competition justice this month?? or serve up some justice to the competition (JOKE!!!) :rolleyes:

Great stuff folks! Good to see so many people getting stuck in this month :)

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1380973101' post='2232949']
[url="https://soundcloud.com/white_elephant/still-sea-deep-breaths"]https://soundcloud.c...ea-deep-breaths[/url]

Here we go...thought I'd give this competition lark a bash for the first time. Hope y'all like it!
[/quote]

Good work Ralph. Lovely track. Very serene, nice playing and well put together. Welcome aboard!

• 2 weeks later...

^ Good plan mate! I've had a couple of 'accidental' instrumental tracks that started out with the intention of vocals, but ended up with a synth part or other line that ended up fitting the bill.

I'm collaborating with someone this month on the vocal. Another happy accident! :) SoundCloud is great for that if you're willing to spend time contacting people.

Hi all, Tried to do a laid back Reggae style thing and it just sort of imploded and I took loads of time messing with it, I have binned it (note to self don't attempt reggae style keys again until I can actually play a keyboard, it ended up sounding a bit like the magic roundabout theme on acid). Will have another pop if I have time but I really am struggling at the moment, seem to have writers block. :dash1:

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1382045349' post='2247323']This was harder than I thought. I couldn't find time this month. I threw it together today so the vocal and mix are terrible but I have committed to entering so I'm not bunking out this month. I will post the link tomorrow.[/quote]

Good on ya! 'Dunkirk spirit' and all that ;)