Why become a member? ×

70s disco bass lines

snap

[quote name='snap' post='23232' date='Jun 25 2007, 09:44 PM']hi guys would like to have a pop at this any one got any tabs lessons etc please :)[/quote]

What sort of tab format? Paper copies, Powertab, GuitarPro etc?

Hamster

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='24348' date='Jun 28 2007, 11:52 AM']There is a book by Joaquin Des Pres called 101 Disco/Funk basslines - wit tab and notation - that I bought from amazon.

Ideal place to start methinks![/quote]

I took that book on holiday with me a couple of years ago, certainly passed the the time.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

[quote name='WishICouldWalk' post='148640' date='Feb 28 2008, 10:00 PM']Find whatever you can played by Gene Perez of Masters at Work - his lines are pure joy.[/quote]
Gene is an awesome player but surely 70's influenced rather than 70's in origin? Otherwise you could include Julian Crampton as well?

Crampton is a personal fave as well. To my ear, Perez is more disco whereas Crampton is more Jamerson influenced. Truth is, they're both such awesome players they can probably both do virtually any style. A question, listen to Incognito's Night's Over Egypt and MAW's remix. Which bassline do you prefer? I prefer the original - one of my fave Crampton basslines.

Gary Crocket also does the style well - check out The Superphonics.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='148659' date='Feb 28 2008, 10:39 PM']Gene is an awesome player but surely 70's influenced rather than 70's in origin? Otherwise you could include Julian Crampton as well?[/quote]

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='148659' date='Feb 28 2008, 10:39 PM']Gene is an awesome player but surely 70's influenced rather than 70's in origin? Otherwise you could include Julian Crampton as well?[/quote]

Sorry, didn't answer your question - agreed, Perez is a modern exponent.