Why become a member? ×

Joe Bonamassa last night

AntLockyer

The show was alright, I can think of better ways to spend that sort of cash but we had fun.

The sound was awful though. His vocal was real low in the mix, the bass was almost silent, the kick drum so loud I thought I was going to sh*t myself.

The songs I like from the albums were great the rest a bit boring and I'm sad to have not heard Carmine Rojas at all.

Having seen Bonamassa 4 or 5 years ago in Manchester (really great gig), I went to the show in Blackpool a couple of years ago and I was really disappointed. Much less blues, much more a 'look-how-many-guitars-I-have-now' w@nkfest.

I won't be going again until something dramatic changes.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1380483093' post='2226014']
Having seen Bonamassa 4 or 5 years ago in Manchester (really great gig), I went to the show in Blackpool a couple of years ago and I was really disappointed. Much less blues, much more a 'look-how-many-guitars-I-have-now' w@nkfest.

I won't be going again until something dramatic changes.
[/quote]

I saw him at the Royal Albert Hall a few years back and that exactly sums up my feelings. 'Look at how many guitars I got, look how fast I can play, look how many times I can repeat that fast phrasing' And the sound was bad - how do you manage that at the Albert Hall? Up until then I'd been a bit of a fan.

I blame Glenn Hughes. JB is/was awesome. Saw him at Birkenhead's Pacific Road a few years ago when he was on the upward curve, then he got hooked up with Glenn and BCC and it started to go a bit mammaries up. Went to his Liverpool (half) arena solo gig, which was ok but a sh*t mix and a bit "I'm Charlie Big Potatoes". I had tickets to a Blackpool gig which was cancelled due to JB being ill. Since then I'm pretty cold on the guy. Great guitar player and BCC at the Victoria Park Festival in 2011 was great (especially their version of Burn) but I can take or leave him now.

Perhaps I'm just getting old :(

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1380484578' post='2226055']

I saw him at the Royal Albert Hall a few years back and that exactly sums up my feelings. 'Look at how many guitars I got, look how fast I can play, look how many times I can repeat that fast phrasing' And the sound was bad - how do you manage that at the Albert Hall? Up until then I'd been a bit of a fan.
[/quote]

Possibly the same gig I was at.......two drummers ffs!!

Saw him at Rock City in Nottm years ago and though it was a terrific gig in a nice intimate venue I did wonder if he became really big how he'd transfer to bigger arenas. Was also at High Voltage when he played with BCC and I thought they were the best act all day.