Why become a member? ×

New Soundblox 2 OFD bass microModeler

Lobster fingers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I did give it fairly comprehensive testing on Monday.
Some of the sounds to be found here are quite reasonable.
However I did feel that it was very 'nice', but there was no "wow" factor for me.
There are a few redeeming features for me, but not sufficient for me to spend my cash on it.
There is a three band eq which is applicable to all the drive models, and a noise gate which could be incredibly useful. I did manage to get some muse-ish tones from the pedal, but there plenty of muff/ fuzz face/ rat a likes out there.
Of course, it is possible to save two different sounds on the pedal too.
It's definitely worth a try out rather than a buy blind situation IMO. I'm sure there are plenty that would love it, but I'm not one of them!

• 1 month later...

There's not been much noise about this pedal lately... but my curiousity got the better of me so I just ordered one from Bass Direct. I'm quite picky about my drive pedals and never got on with any digital ones before so lets see how this fares! It gets great reviews over at TB, if it gets the thumbs up from johnk_10, who has cloned and built nearly every drive pedal under the sun, it must be alright!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaHPsHtvdL4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUJ30QGm-Nw

Turned up today and only had a 5 minute play so far, but initial impressions are good. I can get in the same ballpark as my SFT and ODB-3, and as it has 2 presets with a footswitch for each I can more easily switch between tones than I would with 2 separate pedals. It can't replace my Team Awesome Fuzz Machine though, that is a unique one!

I still think analog boxes sound better at this stage, but I need to do some A/Bing later and more playing around with the EQ settings, I find I need to scoop the mids ever so slightly on the OFD for it to sound good, but then again that's typical of laying solo. Definitely better than the drive sounds on any Zoom/Korg units I've owned in the past!

Had another brief blast - most of the models are rather underwhelming, but the Crunch Tube, Big Pi, and Bender modes all sound great. The 3-band EQ helps massively, and the unique blend knob is a two-way control where dry is at noon, with regular blend on the left and a lowpassed clean on the right. The gate works very well too, and if you want a gated fuzz but thought they mostly sound thin and raspy, you can apply it to any model such as the Big Pi!

It has proprietary sockets for the expression control, I need to see if there's any way to hook up my Moog EP-2 to this so I can morph between presets.

One annoying thing is that if you put it in bypass and forget to save your preset, when you activate it again it loads the last preset and ignores the current knob positions. Haven't read the manual yet though so there might be some tricks to this.

Proof of the pudding will be A/B tests with my favourite settings on my usual pedals though, but this will have to wait!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1391626053' post='2359433']
One annoying thing is that if you put it in bypass and forget to save your preset, when you activate it again it loads the last preset and ignores the current knob positions. Haven't read the manual yet though so there might be some tricks to this.
[/quote]

If you press all three EQ buttons for a short while it resets EQ settings. So I usually center EQ knob and reset it which gives me good starting point for EQ tweaking ;) I have been having it for awhile and all that fuss (or fuzz? ;) over on talkbass is justifiable. I don't think that this pedal is just another flavour of the month. Unlinke B3K or Vintage (at least for me). It is really hard to get not good sound out of it. I also find that mid sweep in front of it makes it even more versatile. Its EQ section comes after distortions. That is actually my only wish having EQ which could be positioned before or after dirts. Have you tried Crunch Tube? I like that one a lot.

Edited by kyboo

Crunch Tube is great, works well even at max gain. I've been trying various models with high gain / blend / mid-scoop to approximate my ODB-3, I think the TS9000 comes closest but it's not quite there.

Tube Drive is the only one that approaches anywhere near clean with the gain at minimum - I wish the other models had a wider range on the gain control to clean them up a bit more. I can get a very nice low gain overdrive from this, and fatten it up nicely with a touch of bass boost.

There are a few models I really don't like though where I haven't been able to get a good sound from yet - Smooth Tube, Fuzz Facade, Metal and Octave.

Edited by dannybuoy

I have a couple questions about this...

1: Can anyone make an A/B recording with a Bass Big Muff or a green Muff clone?

2: Once you recall a setting, is there any way it shows you how your knobs were positioned when you saved it? For example, like this feature in the programmable Sansamp BDDI:
"HOW TO FIND A PRESET
This is useful when you want to know the position of each knob’s setting in the memory of a channel.
When you turn a knob from its stored position, it “unlocks” and the channel indicator LED will blink.
The slower the blink, the farther away you are from the preset point.The faster the blink, the closer
you are.At the preset point, the LED stops blinking and remains on."

Can't make any clips right now, but I read the manual last night and it does blink faster as you move each knob back to where it belongs in the last selected preset. You can also switch it between buffered and true bypass!

The muff model, whilst sounding good, has a very different sound the Bass Big Muff - the manual says it's modelled after a blend of Big Muff and Swollen Pickle. Most the difference is down to EQ, as you have a 3-band instead of the usual tonestack. You have to scoop the mids and boost the bass and treble to get the traditional sound.

I'm currently enjoying the low gain sounds of the tube drive and crunch tube models, and got a good sound out of the octave fuzz by setting the blend on the low-pass clean side with just a little layer of raspiness sitting on top of the original signal.

Edited by dannybuoy

yeah, I just watched that - all the effects sound the same, I wonder how much $$ he got for the last couple of video demos!

I don't want to knock his site as I think it's a good resource, but I think the recent fuzz wars with JMJ doing most of the talking was soo much more interesting!