Why become a member? ×

Looking for a Protec Case in the Uk

rainbowreality

Not stocked at bassdirect any more?

As a side note, I have one and love it. Pockets are plenty large enough, I fit all my cables, my amp and some other bits and pieces in them, the shoulder straps are comfortable, so much so I rode home from work on my bicycle with it on my back. Also major major protection and stability. It's been chucked about a fair bit and I've had it nearly 3 years and nothing has fallen off.

[quote name='rainbowreality' timestamp='1380718663' post='2229448']
Do you think it would fare ok with train travel and the rigours of public transport i.e having cases potentially bashed into it etc?
[/quote]

If its anything like the Mono M80 case and from the specs it appears to be of the same kind of design then it should be fine and not being a full hard case should be a bit more friendly as regards your fellow commuters.

It's pretty different to the Mono, in the sense that the Mono is more of 2 pieces that huge the bass, where as the Protec has 'sides' more like a hard case. It's a softcase with an internal carapace around the edges to protect from impact.

I toured Europe for 2 weeks with a £5000 bass in a Protect Contego, in the back of a transit van and it took a fair few bumps, including a fall from about 12'. The case still looks like it was new, not a mark on it. Needless to say the bass was perfectly happy. It's miles better than any hardcase I own.

The Mono has what I would consider sides.

That's why trying to work out which of these cases is the best one for you from descriptions on the internet is virtually impossible.

If you can't actually get to see one and wear it, then at some point you just have to take a gamble.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1380721479' post='2229511']
The Mono has what I would consider sides.

That's why trying to work out which of these cases is the best one for you from descriptions on the internet is virtually impossible.

If you can't actually get to see one and wear it, then at some point you just have to take a gamble.
[/quote]

Just checked out the mono online in terms of detailed pictures - I stand corrected. I can only assume that the one I had was a very old/original generation or something as it was not like that at all. It was more like a Harvest bag in its construction style. That or I was VERY drunk for a while :)

Based on that - yes they are very similar. I can vouch that the Protect is an excellent case, but I suspect the mono is just as good.

Worn both and can confirm that the Protec is more comfortable, which is why I own one. I don't know if it's the spacing of the straps on the Mono but it hurt almost straight away, right across the shoulders. And despite the Protec basically being a hard case in terms of protection and feel, it's much easier to wear. :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1380832920' post='2231397']
You may want to consider the Fusion F1 too, perhaps.

I almost bought the Protec Contego a couple of weeks ago but chose the F1 instead and love it. Good protection, lots of pockets and very comfortable
[/quote]

Arghh! Just as I thought I'd decided you throw something else into the equation!

Found the one you mentioned on Gak for £115, now I've got to choose one or the other.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1380855619' post='2231593']
There's a story there and I'd love to hear it. How on earth did your bass fall 12 feet?!
[/quote]

We played a squat in the Netherlands which is basically a huge warehouse. The van was parked up on a loading bay around 6' from the ground below. I hadn't packed the van the night before and the guys had slid my bass in last on top of everything else in the van and it had moved during the journey.

I opened the back of the van and it came straight out. I jumped out of the way not knowing what was flying at me and it whacked the floor arse-end down (about a 6' fall), then fell forward, bounced and went over the edge of the loading bay for another 6' drop.

That's when I realised it was my Roscoe and some wee came out.

Strictly speaking I guess that was two 6' falls, but either way. The Protec kept it like new.

Edited by pantherairsoft

Been on many buses with mine plus a variety of other bags at hand too. Always been fine, and as step says above, they are solid as a rock.

My only niggle is that it's a really snug fit for a 34" jazz bass, it needs squeezing in at the top. P basses and other non offset body shapes are fine, they fit snuggly in the lining.

[quote name='rainbowreality' timestamp='1380834056' post='2231419']
Sounds interesting but it's about £50 more expensive than the protec. In your opinion is the extra cost justified?
[/quote]

it depends on what you want really.

The Protec is more of a "case", in terms of size etc.
The F1 is going to be the more comfortable one and it probably has more room for extra bits, from what I can see.
When it comes to protection I suspect they're about the same.

I was not able to compare both side by side. I nearly pressed "buy" on the Protec Contego but in the end I chose the F1 partly because of the size (F1 a bit smaller, but not as small as I thought... it won't fit in the boot of my VW Golf), the million pockets, and that it looked perfect to walk comfortably with it. I like it a lot. Really good protection (front, back and sides), very light, good storage and really comfy on my back.

I'm sure the Protec is also excellent, but I'm happy with the F1 I went for in the end. I paid £114.something at DJM including delivery. That's £45 more than the Protec, true. Worth the difference? Not sure because I have not compared them side by side, but I think the F1 is worth the £115. It's going to last a while, so £45 in the end won't matter to much.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1380868127' post='2231618']
We played a squat in the Nergrrlands which is basically a huge warehouse. The van was parked up on a loading bay around 6' from the ground below. I hadn't packed the van the night before and the guys had slide my bass in last on top of everything else in the van and it had moved during the journey.

I opened the back of the van and it came straight out. I jumped out I the way not knowing what was flying at me and it whacked the floor arse-end down (about a 6' fall), then fell forward, bounced and went over the edge of the loading bay for another 6' drop.

That's when I realised it was my Roscoe and some wee came out.

Strictly speaking I guess that was two 6' falls, but either way. The Protec kept it like new.
[/quote]

That's the sort of story we need to hear when looking for cases!!!

We should start a thread with:
1) Case
2) brief description of the incident
3) outcome

:)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1380878506' post='2231750']

That's the sort of story we need to hear when looking for cases!!!

We should start a thread with:
1) Case
2) brief description of the incident
3) outcome

:)
[/quote]

That would be an interesting thread!

I have corrected the silly errors in my post (bloody auto-correct!), your quote will forever show that I called the Netherlands, the Nergrrlands though! lol

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1380879803' post='2231787']
That would be an interesting thread!

I have corrected the silly errors in my post (bloody auto-correct!), your quote will forever show that I called the Netherlands, the Nergrrlands though! lol
[/quote]

I thought maybe you were friends with the Bongo Bongo land man :P