Why become a member? ×

What is the Musicman S.U.B (USA made)

Greggo

You wouldn't tell it's not a Stingray with your eyes closed. I was out to buy one a couple of years ago but I ended up with more funds than I expected so I bought the Ray instead.

Edit- there's no cutaway on the top off the body either, wouldn't bother me at all but could be a crux for some.

Edited by Horizontalste

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1379949517' post='2218597']
Like a slab body?
[/quote]

Yes. Just like the rather expensive Stingray Classic! These are great basses. I preferred mine to a Stingray I had. The Stingray was moved on but the SUB remains. The fingerboards are all rosewood, no maple. Here's mine:

Slab bodied, 2 band, textured finished Stingray with nasty ass scratchplate (easily replaced, standard screw holes). The paint on the neck can go shiny and drag a bit, but is easily stripped off and oiled. I've had my white one since they were released, I did have it defretted a good few years back and is the one bass I'll probably never sell as I'd never get another bass of that quality for the money I could sell it for.

• Like 1

You cant go wrong with the SUB,i had one in teal stuck a black pickguard on it it looked great i think i paid around £320 a few years back
I think they stopped making them due to the fact it just wasnt making them any money in the end. Trying to make a budget stingray still made in the usa wasnt really that cheap to produce,so they stopped making them.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1379986110' post='2219224']
They're Stingrays made in a place where the labor is a tenth of the U.S.
[/quote]

Actually, the USA SUBs were made in the same facility in San Luis Obispo, USA as the regular Music Man instruments :)

• Like 1

[quote name='stoo' timestamp='1380010559' post='2219323']
Aren't there some variants of the USA SUB? Often seen mention of some being active 2 band preamp and some with just passive tone controls, and also some with the pickup wired parallel or some wired series?
[/quote]
Yep and they dont all have the artex finish either, as Stu g says above he had a teal one, I'd track down one with a regular finish, swap the pickguard, make sure its wired in parallel (or even fit a push pull for both) and put a John East preamp in it, flat the neck off with some 1200 wet and dry, job done :)

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1380045238' post='2220086']
It is really confusing the line up - musicman subs, sterling subs, sterling ray 34s etc.
[/quote]

I have an old Sterling and have to explain that it isn't the new budget line Sterlings. It's so stupid. How tough is it to come up with different names? lol

• Like 1