Why become a member? ×

Lightly sanding a glosssy neck

Annoying Twit

I couldn't find a scotchbrite branded scourer. The sponges with scouring sides that we have in our kitchen were too gentle, they only polished the neck. In my local Aldi, they had own-brand scourers which may or may not be the same as the scotchbrite ones. I gave it a go, but unfortunately wasn't quite as careful as I should have been. Some parts of the neck look very nicely matt, but in other parts, I can see scratches. I can't feel any scratches while playing, so from a practical point-of-view, this has been a success.

The neck feels marginally better than it did. It doesn't feel as nice as a matt lightly finished maple neck, which is my preference. But, it's an interesting step forward. My Cimar has a glossy neck as well, but for some reason that works for that instrument and feels great. But generally I like the near bare wood maple feel as in my Rockbass.

BTW: This is my £60 Shine bass as in my other 'experimenting' thread. I'm not concerned about getting down to the wood in a few years, as one thing that may happen to this poor innocent instrument is that I may attempt to completely refinish it.

Thanks everybody.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1379845209' post='2217259']
The neck feels marginally better than it did. It doesn't feel as nice as a matt lightly finished maple neck, which is my preference. But, it's an interesting step forward. My Cimar has a glossy neck as well, but for some reason that works for that instrument and feels great. But generally I like the near bare wood maple feel as in my Rockbass.
[/quote]

Which re-enforces my opinion that it's not the glossiness of the neck that is the problem but the type of finish used. The basses that I use most often at the moment all have high gloss finish necks and none of them have a problem with the feel.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1379845209' post='2217259']
...I gave it a go, but unfortunately wasn't quite as careful as I should have been. Some parts of the neck look very nicely matt, but in other parts, I can see scratches...
[/quote]

I wrap the Scotchbrite pad around a block or a box to apply equal pressure over the surface of the pad, then use long, light strokes along the length of the neck starting from the bass side and moving slowly to the treble side, counting strokes as I go so that the entire neck gets the same treatment.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCOTCHBRITE-TRADITIONAL-FLAT-GREEN-SCOURING-SCOURER-PADS-x-6-PACKS-/310738524844?pt=UK_HomeGarden_CLV_Cleaning_CA&hash=item4859759aac"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4859759aac[/url]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1379854315' post='2217414']
I wrap the Scotchbrite pad around a block or a box to apply equal pressure over the surface of the pad, then use long, light strokes along the length of the neck starting from the bass side and moving slowly to the treble side, counting strokes as I go so that the entire neck gets the same treatment.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCOTCHBRITE-TRADITIONAL-FLAT-GREEN-SCOURING-SCOURER-PADS-x-6-PACKS-/310738524844?pt=UK_HomeGarden_CLV_Cleaning_CA&hash=item4859759aac"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4859759aac[/url]
[/quote]

The Aldi product I bought looks very much as if it's a close Scotchbrite imitation, even down to the packaging.

Thanks for all the comments everybody.