Why become a member? ×

Marshall MB 4210 combo

bodger74

[quote name='phatbass787' post='221513' date='Jun 18 2008, 04:35 PM']They are ok for what they are, but very heavy and the sound isnt really that great to my ear. In my opinion youd be better off looking at the Ashdown MAG or ABM range.

Hope this helps![/quote]
In your opinion and for the sound you're after :)

I personally hate Ashdown amps so wouldn't recommend them, it's very subjective.

I'm pretty sure there's someone on here with either that marshall combo or a head/cab set up similar and he loves it.

[quote name='Merton' post='221522' date='Jun 18 2008, 04:42 PM']In your opinion and for the sound you're after :)

I personally hate Ashdown amps so wouldn't recommend them, it's very subjective.

I'm pretty sure there's someone on here with either that marshall combo or a head/cab set up similar and he loves it.[/quote]

Lol, fair play my furry little friend, just said what I thought, didnt say they were bad! After all variety is the spice of life. Hates a strong word by the way, so whats with the Ashdown 'hating' then out of interest? Seems a tad severe!

[quote name='phatbass787' post='221819' date='Jun 18 2008, 11:31 PM']Lol, fair play my furry little friend, just said what I thought, didnt say they were bad! After all variety is the spice of life. Hates a strong word by the way, so whats with the Ashdown 'hating' then out of interest? Seems a tad severe![/quote]
I guess hate is a bit strong, but apart from a MAG410T cab I used to have (running a Trace 12-band head through it) I have never liked the sound I've gotten out of any Ashdown gear, no matter what I've done with EQ, positioning etc etc.

To be honest regarding the Marshall I've heard 50% good and bad reports about them, probably the same as you'd get with most gear as it's all very subjective.... If I were buying a new combo I'd probably aim at a Markbass or new TE range but what I like and everyone else is different :)

[quote name='Merton' post='221917' date='Jun 19 2008, 09:28 AM']I guess hate is a bit strong, but apart from a MAG410T cab I used to have (running a Trace 12-band head through it) I have never liked the sound I've gotten out of any Ashdown gear, no matter what I've done with EQ, positioning etc etc.

To be honest regarding the Marshall I've heard 50% good and bad reports about them, probably the same as you'd get with most gear as it's all very subjective.... If I were buying a new combo I'd probably aim at a Markbass or new TE range but what I like and everyone else is different :)[/quote]

Fair enough mate, have you tried the Labs stuff, in particular the Mark King head? Sounds like itd be more your bag if you like the old Trace gear, 12 band graphic very hi fi. After all Ashdown is owned by the guy who made trace great in the 80's anyway. To me I cant put my finger on it but the new Trace stuff is just missing something in its sound, not really anything like the good old stuff.

[quote name='phatbass787' post='221959' date='Jun 19 2008, 10:25 AM']Fair enough mate, have you tried the Labs stuff, in particular the Mark King head? Sounds like itd be more your bag if you like the old Trace gear, 12 band graphic very hi fi. After all Ashdown is owned by the guy who made trace great in the 80's anyway. To me I cant put my finger on it but the new Trace stuff is just missing something in its sound, not really anything like the good old stuff.[/quote]
I've used the original Labs cabs (hehe, I'm a poet and i know it!!) and same thoughts apply but not used the MK sig head. In all honesty at the mo I don't care coz I'm very happy with my V-Type Trace stuff but if I ever go buying new gear it'll be of the lightweight variety so I'm more interested in the Little Giant heads vs Shuttles, Markbass etc...

I think if I ever get a Trace 12-Band again it'll be a Series 6 or SMX range, nothing else!

Thanks Guys,

Haven't really got the money for the mentioned Mark Bass gear. Sounds bad but I don't even find myself trying it just in case I like it too much....

Took delivery of said Marshall today. Hard to tell in my flat what it's really like. Looking forward to that first rehearsal to crank it up. There are useful switchable sounds on here I know that much. The vave preamp side is lovely and fat and warm.

Can't wait..

Bodg

• 3 months later...

Hi

I took delivery of a Marshall MB4210 about 6 rehearsals ago and I love it.

I've been using a Trace Elliot BLX150 for about 20 years but my latest band has the LOUDEST drummer I've ever played with and two guitarists who both use Marshall 100w combos so I had no chance. Sad, but the Trace needed to be replaced.

I tried Ashdown and Laney but didn't like either as I couldn't get the sound I could from the old Trace and the new range were out of my budget (I have an expensive teenager to run these days). I didn't get around to trying the Line 6 300w amp as I saw this Marshall. As soon as I tried the clean channel I found the sound but with much more overhead. I then fiddled and found loads of other sounds. Also, this amp resolves the different sounds from my Warwick Streamer LX 4 in ways that the Trace never could.

I have to say, it does take some fiddling to change sounds as there are a lot of controls that sometimes do something but other times have no effect, depending on whaich channel is on etc.

For £279 after shopping around I'd say this is fantastic value for money and while the likes of the Markbass is probably better the equivalent combo is around three times the price. Isn't suggesting that a bit cruel?! A bit like someone asking about a Mondeo and being told to save up for a BMW 535!

I've had my MB4210 for a few months now, and it is perfect for my needs. It gives me a real '70's rock tone with plenty of grind, whilst also capable of delivery a really clear funk tone on the second channel. I find I quite often use the blend feature as well to give me a third tone without the need for other pedals. It is more than loud enough without the extension cab (the only amp I've ever owned that the drummer has asked me to turn down!), but I may get the 1x15 just to make it look like a stack.

I had tried the Ashdown, Fender, Peavey and Laney amps in the same price range, and simply put, the Marshall has the best bang to buck out there. As others have said, the Ampegs, Trace and Mark Bass amps are brilliant, but as they cost more than twice as much are well out of my range.

It does make me laugh in forums (not just this one!) when someone asks about an item and people don't take into account the price range, for example "I'm looking at a Squier Jazz Bass, what should I get?" and the responses come "get a MIA Fender, they're much better". If something costs more than 3 times as much, I would certainly hope so!

[quote name='cheddatom' post='307963' date='Oct 16 2008, 04:02 PM']This is the first time i've heard of of this amp. Looking at it, it's great value even without hearing it.[/quote] it is quite expensive to just look at but very good value if you switch it on and hear it

.... sorry, bad joke...blimey, who is this Neill geezer, he's only been here five minutes and he's already making sad jokes.

• 9 months later...

[quote name='Merton' post='221969' date='Jun 19 2008, 10:34 AM']I've used the original Labs cabs (hehe, I'm a poet and i know it!!) and same thoughts apply but not used the MK sig head. In all honesty at the mo I don't care coz I'm very happy with my V-Type Trace stuff but if I ever go buying new gear it'll be of the lightweight variety so I'm more interested in the Little Giant heads vs Shuttles, Markbass etc...

I think if I ever get a Trace 12-Band again it'll be a Series 6 or SMX range, nothing else![/quote]
You are dead right about the Trace Series 6. it is the best I have ever used. Bit too big for small cars and gigs. I also use a Marshall 4210. this is a great piece of kit but as people say, very fiddly to set up. well worth it though. I agree with the comments about ashdown. I've had two and both were a serious dissapointment, unreliable and the sound "going off" after about 30 minutes

My MB4210 + MBC115 did me proud at the wedding gig last night, solid full tone, my bypass fix on the broken inductor coil in the 1x15 extn cab seemed to work only the MB4210 ran incredibly hot, it did not cut out. The front metal panel (with the ctrl knobs on) was almost too hot to touch. For me this rings warning bells. I'd be interested to hear if any other MB4210 owners experience a very hot runinng amp after a couple of hours gigging. Volume level was about halfway.

When I have sat on it after three hours rehearsing it has certainly been very warm, but then it was backed up against the wall so partially blocking the venting. If it was getting as hot as you describe yours though, I am surprised the thermal protective muting didn't cut in. On the plus side, my old Valvestate guitar amp does much the same and still going strong after 9 years.

I recently bought a 4210 combo when my Carlsbro Bass Beasty developed a fault, and I have to say it sounds awsome on the modern channel with the Beasty used as a 15 inch extension cab, got some real clean grunt behind it, didn't get that hot at a recent hour long gig

hiho,spooky.I,m glad someone else has noticed ashdowns sound going off as I noticed this years ago when I had one.
I don,t have the combo but I do have the mb450 head paired with peavey cabs and once I got a core setting it,s leave alone and dig in.
I have heard that the cabs are a bit dicey so the solution might be to get older cabs s/h.
I thought about getting a 15" cab but my 10"s have more than enough bottom end,would like to try a 4 x 12" though but lugging it around would be another story.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

MB4210 crossover failed on me a few weeks back, the heavy white fuse block juts out on metal pins perpendicular to the pcb which is fixed vertically to the inside wall of the speaker cab. Vibrations and/or knocks had made the legs loose and vibrating more when playing meant signal cutting in and out, sounded like really nasty spluttery distortion. I was furious as I'd only just had the crossover coil on the extn cab fixed. However, a quick resolder job and it's been fine again since then and sounding pretty good (for the money). Just wish they'd got more rigorous QC on these, as cheap as they are, I think they remain great value for money but you need to have 100% confidence in your gear for regular gigging and I will not have that with my marshalls any more.

Edited by Al Heeley

On the subject of MB4210 cabs again, I'd be interested to hear how you set yours up for different sounds, bearing in mind different styles of music. I find the classic channel a bit too wooly and scooped for my ear, using either MM stingray, JB or PB thru it. I tend to use modern with a mid cut most of the time and treble + bass at 12 o clock. But this can sometimes sound a bit 2-dimensional. Playing stingray for pop and funk and light rock covers, and the JB for more punk rock/new wave covers stuff.

[quote name='PaulWarning' post='620729' date='Oct 8 2009, 03:37 PM']Just had to send my MB 4210 back for repair under warrantee, loud pop when switching on, sometimes, and what sounds like a bad connection on the classic channel, sometimes. Anybody else having bother with these amps?[/quote]

Marshall have now had my amp for 4 weeks, when I rang them they said they were waiting for the designer to get back to them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

can't comment on the combo, but i had the marshall MBC410 (4x10) cab for a while, paired with my ashdown MAG300 head, and latterly with the little giant 1000 head, and to me it sounded great, good range and clarity and well worth the extremely reasonable price tag!!! Only reason i got rid of it was cos ive got early onset of arthritis in my lower back so had to go completely lightweight!! otherwise i'd of kept it!

Edited by mojobass

Never had a problem with mine in the 18 months I've had it so far. Sometimes gets a little warm if backed up against a wall reducing air flow through the fan, but no reliability issues. I did get it checked over at the Marshall factory about 9 months ago after Al Heeley mentioned a potential trouble spot (overheating and cutting out) as I live 20 minutes away from Bletchley, but there was no problem with mine. Great tone using the blend facility with plenty of oomph to cut through against two distorted guitars.