Why become a member? ×

What makes a double bass record well?

Beedster

I'm looking to buy a new DB and, given my old Rumanian will be my main gigging instrument, the newbie is going to be for recording and for pleasure (i.e., having a nice instrument to play at home and at small gigs/jams). The newbie is coming in in part because as well as being hard work to play, looking f*****g ugly and being bloody heavy, the Rumanian really doesn't record all that well. I've tried numerous mics and mic positions, PUPs, different strings, and different action, but there's just no 'body' to it recorded, despite sounding OK in the flesh so to speak. If it recorded well, despite all of the above, I wouldn't be after another instrument

So I'm interested in what factors determine whether a bass will record well. Solid versus ply? Swell versus flat? Big instrument versus small? Guts versus steel? Even adjustable versus fixed bridge?

OK, I'm sure it's not anything like as simple as yes/no to the above questions, but some pointers would be useful.

The old truism with recording electric basses tended to be 'if in doubt, use a Precision'. Is there such a thing as a generic 'good to record' double bass?

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Beedster

I'm with Bilbo on this. IMO the only thing that really matters in an instrument in any context is quality of sound and an even response across the strings. I do know people who have 2 basses and use one for beater gigs and the better one for everything else though.... Whatever works for your needs I guess.... and although I have one bass I would love another! :-)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1379489321' post='2213161']
The $64,000 question is 'what does the bass actually sound like'? All the mics, pick ups and pre amps in the world won't polish a turd. For me, it is all about mic placement. And good leads ;)
[/quote]

Fair points Bilbo, but I'm wondering if there are other factors. For example, if we take a similar question "what makes a bass amplify well live" there does appear to be some consensus that ply instruments are often less problematic feedback wise than solid instruments (I'm not saying this is the case, just that it's what a lot of people appear to believe). Given this, could it be possible that ply instruments don't sound as good recorded despite sounding equally good amplified?

Luck!
I recorded a cover of Love Cats for a function band demo a while ago which is a shame as I can play much better now :) , I had a poorly fitted J tone piezo into the Fishman that I had received the evening before with no time to even open the box before the session, plugged it into the Mac and set the Fishman to the Arco/Pizz suggestion, sounded brilliant!!! never got even close since :unsure:

I would forget the technical aspects of the instrument and trust your ears. Listen to how the bass sounds, put your ears where you would place the microphones get a feel for what the mics would pick up. listen to the bass close up as well as in the room you could try it in a few rooms.
Certain strings will give you a certain sound but whether it is good or bad depends on the context of the music that it is played and personal preference.

Some instruments sound great on their own but don't work in a band or ensemble and visa versa just like bass guitars but in the end it is down to you and what sound you are looking for. IMHO If you get a instrument that sounds good acoustically and you play it well It should record well so long as you have the resources and the skills to get a good recording in the first place.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1379528707' post='2213811']
Mic it Steve (the thread isn't about how to record DB per se, more about whether there are any qualities of a DB that make it inherently more recordable).
Cheers
C
[/quote]

Hi Chris. In which case It's a question of finding a DB whose tone you like. It's almost the same as those interminable threads that electric bass players have about "the sound". It's also a question of hearing the sound from further away than you are as a player. When looking for an acoustic guitar I always take a guitar playing friend with me who (when I think I've found the guitar I want) can play it so I can hear it, it sounds so different!

If you want a really nasty shock then record your singing voice and play it back!

In all seriousness I don't think there is any one factor that says "this is the bass to record" (well maybe if you are getting into silly money) it's more about how you want to sound and how you can play the bass. I used to have a lovely Gibson A2 mandolin (made in 1908), absolutely beautiful instrument but every string I didn't hit cleanly, every mistake I made rung out like a bell. I now play a much cheaper mandolin but I actually sound better.

Have fun on the trip to find your perfect bass (I''ll be following in your footsteps :) )

Steve

Just spent 2 days in the studio recording various music song etc. all the points above are right on the money, yes you need a good bass the right strings etc. and a good mic. I'm a big fan of ribbon mics but my biggest observation is the better I play the better I sound recorded.

A great sounding instrument, played by a good player, in a great sounding room, mic'ed by a good engineer, with a suitable mic in the right place to best capture it. Printed via decent Mic pres and DA converters.

Bust one of those and you might get lucky, more than one and you'll have an inferior recording every time.....

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1379897578' post='2218061']
A great sounding instrument, played by a good player, [color=#ff0000][b][u]in a great sounding room[/u][/b][/color], mic'ed by a good engineer, with a suitable mic in the right place to best capture it. Printed via decent Mic pres and DA converters.

Bust one of those and you might get lucky, more than one and you'll have an inferior recording every time.....
[/quote]

+ position in room too. I still find it amamazing how much a room and your placement within it distorts the recorded sound of an acoustic instrument- even with a close-up microphone.

[quote name='five-string.co.uk' timestamp='1379932049' post='2218289']
+ position in room too. I still find it amamazing how much a room and your placement within it distorts the recorded sound of an acoustic instrument- even with a close-up microphone.
[/quote]

Critical Distance in mic position is vital to understand, and entirely dependant on the type of mic you are using.