Why become a member? ×

Help Needed Please! How do I find a good "local" promoter?

thebrig

I've just started up a new band, and we feel that it would be a good idea to use a good promoter.

So how do we go about finding a good promoter who will get us gigs locally?

What sort of commission should we expect to play?

We are a pub band and will be looking to gig in the Herts/Beds/Essex and North London areas, so if you could suggest a reputeable agent who covers these areas, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1378994930' post='2207499']
What stage are yiu at?
What aort of gigs are you looking for? If you're looking for chance to play in local pubs that's one thing
If you want to work as a support to a big name act the answer could be different.
[/quote]
We will be looking to play the local circuit of pubs and some small clubs etc.. No more than that!
We are all pretty experienced players, and should be ready in a month or so to put on a decent show.

I'm not in your area but its pretty much the same across the UK. There are loads of agencies around who will advertise locally on yell.com
You should expect to pay between 15 and 20% but don't expect to get gigs straight away as they have a reputation to think of so will want to hear and see you a few times first..The work may be drip fed at first but if you are good it will soon build up. The agencies will work on behalf of the venues.
On the other hand promoters tend to organise band nights at venues, with a handful of bands on per night. If you are going down that route then don't expect to be paid much at all.

Agents and pub dates aren't viable round here as they will take 10%...and that is £30 out of a £300 fee for what..??? a bit of leg work and a few calls.
And remember that is 10% each time..

Agents try to tie up pubs and venues, but mostly they are in pubs who don't know what they are doing anyway.

Agents only earn their money for £200 per head gigs, IMO...

Go speak to the bar managers directly. Find out what the gig rates are and if they're happy to deal directly with you. I know in Edinburgh we've always worked through the bar managers. Some venues may have a booker and you can work with them if that's thd case. Go ask! Always the best option!

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1378997934' post='2207558']
The best promoter and cheapest, will be yourselves. An agent, if you can find one or a manager will cost you up to 25%. Just phone round or visit the venues.
[/quote]

+1 def this - would only bother with agent if you were considering going after big function gigs

ed - check out sites like [url="http://www.mrgig.com/index.php"]www.mrgig.com[/url] and search around the areas you want to play local to you and make a list of the venues and call them - you can also search through bands on here and find bands who are similar to yourselves and see what venues they have played at

Edited by steve-bbb

I have a lot of friends who are in gigging bands, and I go out to see local bands a couple of times a month, so I am pretty clued up about the venues etc, and I have asked my friends to put a word in for us, but most of the pubs round my way seem to be a bit of a closed shop especially for new bands, which is why we are thinking about employing an agent, as the bands who have agents do get plenty of gigs.

We have done plenty of leg work going into the pubs and talking to the people involved, we have dropped off cards and CD's, we are on Lemonrock which most of the venues insist on, but they just put them to one side, and you never hear from them again.

And just in case you are wondering, we are all very experienced musicians with many years of gigging behind us, we are a very decent band, and the people who have heard us, say that we are much better than a lot of the bands who are playing the local circuit regularly.

I know the agents will take a cut, but surely it would be worth it if they can get us gigs on a regular basis, instead of just the odd gig hear and there.

IMO it's not worth using a promoter for cover band gigs in pubs. It's a slog, but you need to find out who books bands into the venue, catch them in and speak to them in person or on the phone, send them your demo, give it a fortnight, ring them again, then repeat any of these stages as often as necessary until you can negotiate a date and a fee. Once you are in it is a bit easier, but you still need to be on the ball to collar them after the gig for another date, and spend your October evenings chasing next year's bookings. It helps if you can carve up your target venues between the band members so it's not all done by one person.

In my area someone has set themselves up as a 'promoter'. All the bands see for the 10% of their wedge is some colour posters at the venue.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1379060724' post='2208140']
I know the agents will take a cut, but surely it would be worth it if they can get us gigs on a regular basis, instead of just the odd gig hear and there.
[/quote]

You will just end up hassling the agent for work instead of the venues!