Why become a member? ×

Denmark Street - you've changed!

ras52

Argents indeed... I don't remember it stocking basses, it was keyboards/tech gear when I were a lad. Then the Zwemmer sheet music shop that used be on a road further down off Charing Cross Road moved into Denmark Street under the Argent's name, and now it's become/been replaced by Music Room, which is or used to be part of the Rose Morris cluster of shops! Hence I can see the Music Room/Argent's thing. We need a Pete Frame "Rock Family Trees"-type thing to unravel the history of the street!

• 2 weeks later...

Funny what Scott Thunes said on Facebook about his visit to Denmark Street while he was in London for the 200 Motels extravaganza at the Royal Festival Hall.

"I found something odder than overpriced guitars: specialized stores. Acoustic instruments, Gibsons only, Fenders only, DJ stuff only, stomp boxes only, wind instruments only, sheet music only. It was as if somebody owned the entire block of stores and instead of having everything - impossibly - under one roof, they broke up a Super-store into separate doorways. Freaked me out."

Someone replied "That's exactly what it is - most people don't realise it's actually now pretty much one outlet set up to mimic a series of independent stores."

I've been frequenting Denmark Street for some 20 years and made a fair few purchases there. Most of it is one big shop with stock going back and forth across the street. Don't expect genuine price comparisons!

If Wunjo is indeed a distinct business then that can only be a good thing.

I am heading up there on Saturday for a look about - stand by for my findings!

Wunjo is indeed independent, and Brian is a really nice guy - happy to see him doing well.

Macari's are also independent, still owned by the Macari family (3rd generation, and cousins now rather than brothers).

Until last Wednesday Chris Bryant Music (on the corner of Charing Cross Road) was also independent. Then Chris [i][b]allegedly [/b][/i]came in overnight and [i][b]allegedly [/b][/i]removed all the stock and [i][b]allegedly [/b][/i]left unpaid rent / wages / bills everywhere.

Really, really sad. I've known Chris for years and he's a lovely guy. To [i][b]allegedly[/b][/i] pull something like this, he must have been in a very bad place.

• 1 month later...