Why become a member? ×

Do you (can you) count 1, 2, 3, 4 per bar while playing?

tedmanzie

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1378834469' post='2205353']
Never count, not even with my foot. As said previously, it becomes internalized after so long.
[/quote]

I've lost count (sic) of the number of times I've witnessed bands that I play in or watch who have internalized the wrong timing. Most common transgression is wrongly anticipating the chord change by a half beat on uptempo numbers i.e. changing to the next chord on the "4 and ..." instead of the 1 of the next bar.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1379483532' post='2213112']
Times like these - Foo Fighters. If I don't count 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 1, 2..... I'm lost :lol:
[/quote]

Times Like These was the very song I was thinking of!

In fact we played it at a gig on Thursday with a dep drummer - complete car crash, as he clearly couldn't count to seven :lol:

Edited by simon1964

I never realised Times Like These was in 7/8 until either the guitarist or the drummer mentioned it, just heard the riff and played the riff. Then again, I'd been playing in a ceilidh band for years with lots of random time signatures (9/8 is a particular favourite) and just sort of learnt not to count.

Guitarist in the other band has no problem counting 1 2 3 4. However, he does insist on doing it on songs which are in 6/8, which is why we can't do any of my songs which are in 6/8...