Why become a member? ×

Should we be in bands for money, or for enjoyment?

thebrig

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1378732192' post='2203820']
I believe it is possible to play for both enjoyment and money- the way I look at it is that the more gigs that pay, the more gigs I can be available to do.

It looks as if you are looking to put together a busy working band, with an agent etc, so I don't see why players being interested in money is a bad thing. If they just want to do it for a laugh, then they are more likely to be flaky when it gets busy, or they get bored, or they don't like the pop songs they have to play over and over. If it's only fun, then people stop bothering unless they are enjoying themselves.

Also, the fears about rehearsals are perfectly normal. Any long-time player, I am convinced, will have come across bands who want to rehearse once or twice a week, only to play out every two or three months at the local boozer. Not a recipe for happy pro players! While this will sound very sweeping, the need for super regular rehearsal can also give the impression of inability to get arrangements together, too. I would think twice about the ability of someone who doesn't feel confident getting 30-40 top ten hits sounding good without meeting up every week to run through them again and again. It is rare to find a working band who will pay you for rehearsals, too, in fact they're usually at the bands own cost, so people don't want to find themselves roped into a heavy schedule of playing the same material over and over in a stinky room at their own cost.

Also, if you're [i]advertising[/i] for members, forget the notion (in fact we should all forget it anyway) that bands should be a tight knit group of best mates who just love hanging out together and having fun, and just happen to bang out amazing tunes whenever they do. It's a rare treat which I have never experienced, myself.

If you are putting a working band together, and are getting answers from people saying "I love playing and I want to get more work, not be stuck treading water in a rehearsal room playing easy stuff til I'm blue in the face" then it sounds like you are getting replies from the right people!
[/quote]
I don't recall saying [i]"we will be churning out top ten hits", [/i]we are aged between 42 and 61 and play old school British R & B.

I don't recall saying [i]"we are going to rehearse once or twice a week, only to play out every two or three months at the local boozer".[/i]

I don't recall saying anything about [i]"super regular rehearsals"[/i] either

I don't recall saying [i]"we only going to play for fun".[/i]

We are looking to play for [i][b]both enjoyment and money[/b][/i], and that is the point, quite a few have actually auditioned with us, and although they were not particularly great musicians, they actually said that they don't want to rehearse, even just a few times to get the band tight.

We can't wait to start gigging on a regular basis, but as I have said, although we are very experienced, we just feel that it can only benefit us to rehearse just [b][i]once a week[/i][/b], [b][i]not twice a week[/i][/b], for a [b][i]few weeks[/i][/b] to learn/arrange the 40/50 songs we want to play, once we are happy with them, we will only ever return to the [b][i]stinky room[/i][/b], when we want to introduce new material.

We are just a pub band, and I'm not ashamed of admitting that, we are a very decent band, but it appears that [b][i]some, not all[/i][/b], on here, are either way above the level my band plays at, and I'm pleased for you if you are one of these, or if you are at the same level as our band, then it would appear that you have no pride in your performance, because it must make the band better to rehearse a little bit.

Personally, I think that we are being totally sensible to try to raise our game by having a few rehearsals, instead of happily taking people's money when we are not performing to our full potential.

I would be interested to know what you guys think, am I worrying too much about performance, and getting on with people, or should I just let anyone who's willing to join the band ([i]even if they are people you don't lik[/i]e), and just go out gigging unprepared?

Edited by thebrig

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1378730904' post='2203786']
I'm not into joining [i]any [/i]band just to get gigs. I like to be well-rehearsed, know what I'm going to be doing and try to play to the best of my ability. I expect everyone else in the band to do the same and be available for a weekly rehearsal at least, unless we're gigging three times a week. And the band is likely to stay together long enough to be successful if everyone gets on.

But on the other hand I'm not into rehearsal or gigging as a social event, or as an excuse for a piss-up or a toking session. I don't think I take it [i]too [/i]seriously either (it has to be fun), but there is a balance to be struck.

Even if you're in an amateur band, there's no reason why you can't do things in a professional way.
[/quote]

this

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1378724729' post='2203634']
I think my thread is drifting into a debate about whether we should be paid or not.

Maybe my wording might have been a bit misleading, but I started the topic to highlight the problem I am having as I try to put a new band together.

A lot of the replies I've had to my ads, have been from people who are not interested in rehearsing, or getting to know the band that they might be joining.
A lot of them are not even interested in the sort of music we want to play, they just want to be in a band that gigs every single weekend, and just turn up for the gigs.

I'm not saying, or expecting any of them to play for nothing, of course not, but what I am expecting is that they genuinely like the type of music we play, and to put in some rehearsals to get tight enough to gig, if they are not prepared to do that, how can we possibly get to the standard we should be to get paid work, and if they are only joining a band for the money but not the music, then the chances are, they will leave once they get fed up of playing a genre they are not really into.

As for gigs, we are actively seeking gigs for the future all the time, and once we know we are ready, we will get an agent as well, so it's not that we are just going to let things happen, we will make them happen!

We are all good musicians, with plenty of experience behind us, but we still appreciate the need to rehearse especially for a new band.
I think we are being sensible in learning to walk before we start running.

This is nothing to do with being paid, or not being paid for gigs, it's more to do with people's attitudes.

But as I stated earlier, maybe I'm old fashioned and naive to expect to form a band where we all have the same enthusiasm for the music, where we all understand that a little bit of time in the rehearsal studio, goes a long way in helping us go from being a "decent" band, to a "very good" band, and is it too much to hope that we can be mates as well! :o
[/quote]

This happened at the tail end of my last band. We lost our drummer to a more lucrative covers band. Pretty much every drummer we approached wanted the gigs there and ready and weren't interested in turning up "just to rehearse"(even once!). It was all about money, but how they thought they'd earn any when they'd not even rehearsed a set was beyond me.

Thankfully the band folded and a few of us got together as an acoustic group; our old singer learned to play cajon. Quieter, sounds better, keeps better time than most of the drummers I've known, does 2 jobs in 1 (sings and plays cajon at the same time), cajon is easy to transport & much more versatile in our context. Major win. We're all mates, which helps. I don't think I'd consider playing with anyone who wasn't these days.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1378720540' post='2203532']
...but if an 'artist' decided to give his wares away for free, is that a bad thing..? An amateur gardener giving away excess produce, is that bad..? I don't think many are saying that musicians are [i]expected [/i]to play for free, but they're certainly entitled to, if that's their choice. If one doesn't want to perform free, it's easily settled: one asks to be paid. If that works, fine. What's the problem..?
[/quote]

My problems with that is that it sets a precedent..
There are too many bands playing for free..and every pub wants a charity Beer festival.. and you could spend all summer doing charity gigs..in fact it seems a lot of bands do.
The bar takes money..the staff get paid, the vendors of stalls get paid, the bands don't.
I avoid these type of gigs.

I agree it is my choice, but there are TOO many bands who play free and it impacts of everyone else...IMO.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1378748012' post='2204192']
Sorry, I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. I was trying speak generally from the viewpoint of prospective players, don't forget, they don't know your full agenda yet, and will be worried about ending up in some of the rehearsal bound projects I'm sure we have all encountered at some point. They are as entitled at the start to say that they don't want to get stuck with endless rehearsals as you are to stipulate that you wish to do proper preparation.

I didn't intend to offend, but the tone of your reply indicates that I did- I apologise for it coming across that way, although I'm not quite sure how it did! If it helps, I love pub gigs just as much as any others, play them regularly, and always prefer to rehearse than to busk it, even with really good jammers- a tight band is one thing, a tight set is another, and can only be achieved through proper preparation. Which I always do in a stinky room. ;)
[/quote]
No offense taken. :)
I am just trying to point out that my ads are very clear as to what we want, and when I speak to the musos who reply, I tell them that we are a new band, and we feel we would need a little bit of time in the studio arranging the songs, but certainly not forever.
But I just find it strange that anyone would want to chance meeting up for a gig, without playing the songs together at least once.

Wording an ad is not that easy. You want to attract the most interest and then YOU want to sift through the options.

Two things that you can't get away from...99% of the time, IMO
If you are any good, you'll be looking at the money, and also, anyone any good will be busy...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1378750721' post='2204237']
Wording an ad is not that easy. You want to attract the most interest and then YOU want to sift through the options.

Two things that you can't get away from...99% of the time, IMO
If you are any good, you'll be looking at the money, and also, anyone any good will be busy...
[/quote]
We [u]are[/u] looking for money, we are not saying we will be playing for free, what we are saying is we want to justify the money we do earn by putting a good show on.
How many times do bands suggest a new song, go home and practise it, and then all get to play different versions and arrangements at the rehearsal.
That is what rehearsals are for, and why they are necessary IMO.

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1378751125' post='2204247']
How many times do bands suggest a new song, go home and practise it, and then all get to play different versions and arrangements at the rehearsal.
That is what rehearsals are for, and why they are necessary IMO.
[/quote]

It depends how quick the guys are. You might do quite a few gigs without rehearsal.
Good pickup bands will have some members meet for the 1st time on a gig.
The gig will be about charts, dots and busking and most punters would be none the wiser for all that.

To maximise what you achieve at rehearsals, you determine the reference on the particular version and youtube is great for this.
You clarify before what key the vocals are in... and you make any notes you need.
You expect to pretty much get the song at rehearsal.
But..it all depends how quick you are on the pickup... guys who dep and busk alot will get this very quickly as they wouldn't be much use on those types of gigs otherwise.

I think the opening positions from the people who responded aren't unreasonable... and both parties may need to modify what they expect.
Talking about it in stage 1, is one thing, getting people to get to stage 2 gets harder.
You want to weed out who is wasting each others time.

That is not a bad thing..

For example... just had a reply for a postion from a guy who has 6 years gigging experience... but what does that mean..???

Edited by JTUK