Why become a member? ×

New Amp - Hartke Kilo

dmccombe7

Just been messing around on my new amp with quality headphones and am astonished at how articulate it is compared to my old Ampeg combo. The harmonics are just amazing in comparison. With my G&L I was able to get a huge array of sounds, most good, some not so. So far, think it is an amazing piece of kit. Each note seemed to be expressed fully in ways I haven't thought of. Looking forward to next rehearsal.

Any luck with your Hartke?

Thomann did their usual exceptional service and offered a free return service and either a full refund or replacement my choice.
I've opted for the refund. I wouldn't be comfortable with Hartke kit now and it would always be on my mind that it is unreliable. I could be wrong but that's what happens when you send out dodgy gear. If it cant survive a well packaged delivery service and it was double packed then I'm afraid gigging with it would be a nightmare. That and the fact people are having probs with over-heating when you start reading the Talkbass forum (not a forum I generally look at).

I haven't heard a thing from Hartke at all but that's maybe down to time diff between us.

Gonna stick with my Genz - at least its reliable. I might look at replacing my GK MB200 with something else tho. Not sure what. Maybe another GB 2nd hand. Maybe a shuttle to give me that top end clarity I like. That way I have tube and FET amps.

Thanks for all the replies guys and let me know how things turn out with your Genz Thunderpaws.

Another amp I was looking at was the Thunderfunk which have a really nice sound. Prob there is there are no dealers nearby ?

Dave

All best
Dave

Sorry to hear about the probs Dave, but, it's a pisser that you will be laughing about in a couple of weeks.
Don't stress, it's just a frustration that you will get around.
Oh, and get a Thunderfunk (I can't afford one so I 'm sticking with the delightful GK MB)
Chin up dood!
Karl. :i-m_so_happy:

Cheers Karlfer, How do you find the GK MB500 ??

I like the sound of my little GK MB200 altho maybe just a little bit too clinical and a little undersized but I'm using it along with my Genz STL600.
I run my Genz into the HT322 I got from you and feed the GK into my 2 Berg AE112 cabs and it gives me the smooth warm sound from Genz and the punchy tight GK sound which I can balance off to get a pretty good overall sound with enough warmth and punch.
I was hoping the Kilo would have given me that from one amp but hey ho onwards and upwards and GAS continues.
Quite fancy looking at the bigger GK amps to see how they sound but getting a dealer in our area is a nightmare.

Was also considering the Genz GBE750 that Mark at Bass Direct has in stock at moment with FET and Tube channels.
There's always the AMPEG SVT4 to consider but its daft money and remember I'm a Scot so that aint gonna happen.

How are things down your way then. See you have a Geddy bass. Its my goto bass usually but new band is more Free / Bad Co own material so looking at using my Warwick to give me that added punch. Jazz didn't quite cut thru at last reahearsals.

All the best mate
Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1378395616' post='2199676']
I've opted for the refund. I wouldn't be comfortable with Hartke kit now and it would always be on my mind that it is unreliable. [/quote]

I totally understand that.

When my second Ampeg PF-500 failed I got a refund. Not only has it put me off the Portaflex range it's made me wary of Class D amps in general...

Edited by bartelby

I am hoping my new class D / class A hybrid isn't let down by the class D bit, or the class A bit. Was playing along with some of my bands backing tracks earlier and my streamliner does a great job. Problem is, between all the knobs nd toggles on my G&L and those on the amp, I may take a while to find the right settings for the right songs.

I was considering a gk mbfusion or a terror bass before settling on the genz, would either of those do you instead of the Hartle? I think thomann sell both.

Think the class D amps are now pretty well sorted and reliable especially the likes of Genz, Markbass and GK. Have heard the Ampeg range have been a bit dodgy tho and would be waary of going that route myself.

Always fancied the Ampeg SVT4 for some reason and thought the Hartke would be similar spec and options on board.

My GB 600 has been a great amp and I struggle to fault it to be honest apart from fact I want a little more mid-punch that I'm just not getting. I think I have a mid-range punch frequency in my head that I want but cant quite get it.

The Terror amps appear to have a specific sound and that's their limit which would have suited my rock covers band but not really the new band. The GK range I've looked at but would prefer to try one before buying. Quite fancied the 1001RB OR 2001RB range amps which seem to be reliable and have a great range of sounds available.

I'll just keep on having GAS --- no sarcastic comments please. :blush: :lol: :rolleyes:

Dave

Hiya Dave, hope you are recovering from some of the disappointment.
I love my little GK MB500. No valve pre amp, all clean tranny noise. UNLESS you use the boost channel :o
If I use my 75 RI Jazz live, I give the bass and low mids a touch of boost. With my Precision I cut them both back just a tad. All very easy, very powerful, very light.
I am really becoming minimalist. We do about 45 pub gigs a year. All I need is that amp, the BF S12V and one bass. I take a second in case I break a string.
All the tonal variation I need for the classic rock we do comes from a little amp eq, a bit of bass rotaries twiddling and my fingers (or on Children of the Grave, that creation of Beelzebub, the plectrum! :o ).
My advice to you? Look out for a EBS TD650. They go down to 2 ohms, built like a tank, bits of effects built in, sound MAGNIFICENT and can be hired out for fracking.
Only reason I got rid of mine is it weighed more than my current amp head and cab, together. But wahat a sound.
Dave, don't worry, half the fun is trying these things.
All the best Mr.
Cheers,
Karl.

Cheers Karl sounds like you finally managed to master that GAS thing after all.

Sounds like a really neat package you have there.

All the best and I'm sure i'll eventually find something that suits me.

Tried the EBS HD350 in studio but it sounded very clinical too. The 650 has the tube pre-amp tho which might be more what I'm looking for. They certainly get great write up and several named artists recommend them. I'll have a better look at them.

Cheers
Dave

Hello Dave,

When I was trying heads out, one of the shops actually suggested I stay away from the Ampeg pf offerings as they had been returned with problems almost as much as they had been sold. Their cabs were a different story, mostly cracking quality and no issues.

I had also tried an Ashdown abm 500 which I quite liked. Kenny's music in dunfermline had the 900 version in stock for a really cracking price. It had been used by Big Country for two recent gigs only then returned to the shop for sale. Think around £690 if remember correctly.

Thanks Thunderpaws.
I had an Ashdown set up few yrs ago and found it pretty bland to be honest. The studio I rehearse at has some of the 500 models which again I find pretty average.

Heard a few bad stories about Ampeg PF series and wouldn't go near them. Since Karl mentioned the GK series I've been looking into the GK 2001RB series which offers similar spec to the Kilo or even the Ampeg with speaker outputs.
Maybe I need to start afresh with a full new rig and simplify things - LOL
Its difficult finding a dealer where we can try out various gear before buying especially up here in Scotland. When you look at it there isn't a dedicated bass shop in Scotland that I'm aware off or even a dedicated bass dept. Last one was Sound Control in Glasgow.
Not sure where i'll end up but will keep looking. At moment Ampeg SVT4, GK 2001RB, Genz Benz GBE 750 or 1200, Thunderfunk (if I can find a dealer), maybe Warwick or few others on the distant radar. Not gonna dive in tho.

Still nothing from the renowned Hartke Customer Service from 3 days ago. Emailed both their CS dept and Mr Hartke himself and nothing. Confirms my thoughts on Hartke and their support is no better than their gear. Avoid at all cost IMHO.

Dave

Hope you are enjoying your STL 600 tho.

Dave

Dave, it"s tough buying gear. It is a big outlay and you need to make sure you get it right.

I am in central Scotland too, Bo'ness, and I agree, it is hard finding a decent range of gear to try.

My best experience was Kenny's music in dunfermline, old sound control I think. The dude there, can't remember his name, encouraged me to try as much stuff as possible and spent oodles of time wth me. They had fender, markbass and ashdown and Ampeg.

Guitar Guitar seem to have a very disapointing range of stock in store, especially Edinburgh. Glasgow now have a bass room I here. If you want a guitar or guitar amp they have it covered, just not with bass amps.

Soundslive in Newcastle seem to have a good range, and carry GK stuff that you might be interested in. I was briefly thinking of a 700rb ii. It has it's own personality and cuts through well. Guessing the 1001 or 2001 is even more impressive.

Wish we had a Bass Direct or similar a touch closer.

Dave, it"s tough buying gear. It is a big outlay and you need to make sure you get it right.

I am in central Scotland too, Bo'ness, and I agree, it is hard finding a decent range of gear to try.

My best experience was Kenny's music in dunfermline, old sound control I think. The dude there, can't remember his name, encouraged me to try as much stuff as possible and spent oodles of time wth me. They had fender, markbass and ashdown and Ampeg.

Guitar Guitar seem to have a very disapointing range of stock in store, especially Edinburgh. Glasgow now have a bass room I here. If you want a guitar or guitar amp they have it covered, just not with bass amps.

Soundslive in Newcastle seem to have a good range, and carry GK stuff that you might be interested in. I was briefly thinking of a 700rb ii. It has it's own personality and cuts through well. Guessing the 1001 or 2001 is even more impressive.

Dunfermline aint too far away - might give them a shot.Bought my Ashdown gear from Soundslive online and they were pretty good to deal with. I'm only 1.5hrs from Newcastle so that might be worth a visit.

Cheers Thunderpaws.

PS what cabs you waiting for ?? Update when you get them.

All the best

Dave

Hello Dave, haven't decided on cabs yet. Still need to sell a couple of things fir funds. Though I believe the GKNeo cabs suit the streamliner and are a decent (bloody good) price. They have a mid bump that should help the stm cut through. Might get one 112 ASAP and another later. Unless I can get 210's which I think they have stopped making.

Went from one extreme to another. Parcelforce made an arse of the delivery and when I tried to send it back the local PO cant take anything bigger than 2Kg size. Nearest PO was 25 miles away in the middle of town centre which meant having to carry a 25Kg package around to get there. Tried getting them to pick up but the pre-paid postage barcode number they had was pick up from Milton Keynes and not Thankerton in Scotland. Almost 400miles apart so they wouldn't pick up. Took the parcel 45miles to depot in Glasgow and it was accepted and sent without issue with a signed form as proof of postage. Girl couldn't have been more helpful. Shame about the rest of their company and policy on how to treat their customers.
On the other hand I missed another package coming via DPD. Called their automated service and rescheduled for delivery in 2 days when I would be home all day. No problem. Checked the tracking on the day of delivery and it was to be delivered by "Stevie" between 15:30 & 16:30 that day. Sure as gold it appeared at exactly 15:50hrs by Stevie. Cannot fault DPD on this occasion. They did exactly what they said they would - brilliant.

Dave