Why become a member? ×

What Bass ? Punchy Sound + Precision Neck + Pickgaurd

BassBomber414

I'm looking for suggestions for a future purchase of a mid- priced Bass for Rock, mostly played with a plectrum - I want plenty of punch and mids but I'm used to a precision neck, have large hands and fingers so don't fancy changing to a Jazz neck.
My combo is a single 1x15" and has a tendency to sound a bit wooly with the Precision PUP of my Yammy BB414.However the Jazz PUP is at the bridge so tends to sound a bit thin.Anyone suggest anything ? Not looking to pay any more than £500 - £700 new/secondhand.

Cheers,thanks for your time.

Edited by BassBomber414

[quote name='bassaussie' post='218971' date='Jun 14 2008, 08:03 PM']Have you ever tried a Stingray? I think that might suit your needs nicely, and with the used market as it is, you should be able to get one within budget.[/quote]

+1

Definately a StingRay. I got mine around £600-ish and I love it. Similar neck size to a precision and is punchy as you like. I'd suggest, although I have the 2EQ model (and love it to bits), if you're looking to boost the mids, go for 3EQ ray.

Or a ATK. Similar to a Stingray tone-wise, sort of the dimensions of a P bass, they are supposed to have necks on the thick side (it's even a selling point in their ad).

Warwick corvettes (not Rockbass) have pretty thick necks in general, and they have plenty of low mid punch. Worth a try.

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

Thanks for all your suggestions , keep them coming , I'm listening.

The Stingray is interesting.The obvious build quality appeals but I've heard a few on You Tube and they have a very distinctive sound , which I like, but seems to lack the cutting crackle and growl that I need in my band.Or maybe they can be adjusted to that sound ?
Although we are a 'Pub Band' (Pah ! ) our current drummer has a full set of top of the range DW drums which are magnificent but very very loud.So the guitarist is cranked right up as well , this means that my rig ( Yamaha BB414 and Warwick CL Combo 250 watts Neo single 15" with horn,Zoom B2 pedal set on A1- Hartke 3500 sound)is up against it.The Warwick sounds great at home but can sound a bit flabby with the band.I play with the Combo on flat settings but the sub sonic switch in and the 'high' switch in,the position switch on the BB414 set on both pickups and tone set to 7 or 8 giving a cutting , percussive sound that gets me in the mix big time but is then a bit lacking in the lows. If I back off the treble I have trouble hearing my own playing which is a problem for me as can't play perfectly from memory.We don't have monitoring - we stand in front of the amps.Is a Fender Jazz going to do the job ?? Maybe I'll just have to convert to the neck.I've thought about a secondhand Ric 4003 which seems like a beast. I know the obvious solution is to visit a music shop and try lots of basses but where I live the only local one charges top dollar ,is staffed by a lot of youngsters intent on showing off to their mates and having zero interest in spending any time whatsoever with any Grown Ups.Other music shops in the area tend to have two cheap basses hanging on the walls and make their money selling recorders to children.

Ah - Fenders and the old prob with not getting on with both Jazz AND Prec necks.

I think your answer's in your questions. By a jazz and put a prec neck on it. Mighty Mite's are cheap with the dollar price and you could expect to get the money back (or more) by selling the jazz neck.
The twin J pups will get rid of the wooliness of a front P pup you mention and the neck one will add body to the thiness of the bridge one.
Easy to try this out too - play any Jazz and see if you like the sounds. If you just hate the neck you're sorted.

The other replies are sound - in some ways a Ray is a Mk2 Prec and one may well sort you out - but thought I'd offer an alternative.

[quote name='BassBomber414' post='219101' date='Jun 15 2008, 09:31 AM']Thanks for all your suggestions , keep them coming , I'm listening.

The Stingray is interesting.The obvious build quality appeals but I've heard a few on You Tube and they have a very distinctive sound , which I like, but seems to lack the cutting crackle and growl that I need in my band.Or maybe they can be adjusted to that sound ?
Although we are a 'Pub Band' (Pah ! ) our current drummer has a full set of top of the range DW drums which are magnificent but very very loud.So the guitarist is cranked right up as well , this means that my rig ( Yamaha BB414 and Warwick CL Combo 250 watts Neo single 15" with horn,Zoom B2 pedal set on A1- Hartke 3500 sound)is up against it.The Warwick sounds great at home but can sound a bit flabby with the band.I play with the Combo on flat settings but the sub sonic switch in and the 'high' switch in,the position switch on the BB414 set on both pickups and tone set to 7 or 8 giving a cutting , percussive sound that gets me in the mix big time but is then a bit lacking in the lows. If I back off the treble I have trouble hearing my own playing which is a problem for me as can't play perfectly from memory.We don't have monitoring - we stand in front of the amps.Is a Fender Jazz going to do the job ?? Maybe I'll just have to convert to the neck.I've thought about a secondhand Ric 4003 which seems like a beast. I know the obvious solution is to visit a music shop and try lots of basses but where I live the only local one charges top dollar ,is staffed by a lot of youngsters intent on showing off to their mates and having zero interest in spending any time whatsoever with any Grown Ups.Other music shops in the area tend to have two cheap basses hanging on the walls and make their money selling recorders to children.[/quote]

OK, suggestion 2. I think your amp may be the problem. It sounds like it's not got enough power to compete with the drummer. Also, I'd suggest getting rid of the Zoom, and just going direct.

About what you said, yes, the Stingray does have a fairly distinctive sound, but I think it'll provide the depth you need, as well as being fairly easy to hear. I'd disagree with the suggestion about getting the 3 band, though - I tend to think the 2 band preamp has a lot more thump.

Other than that, I also liked Dr.Dave's alternative about putting a P neck on a J body, although I'm not so sure it would get you all that far away from the sound you're currently getting.

[quote name='BassBomber414' post='218932' date='Jun 14 2008, 06:16 PM']My combo is a single 1x15" and has a tendency to sound a bit wooly with the Precision PUP of my Yammy BB414.However the Jazz PUP is at the bridge so tends to sound a bit thin.Anyone suggest anything ?[/quote]

another suggestion- keep your Yamaha but try using an amp with 12" or 10" speakers instead for more punch. a 2 X 12", 2 X 10" or 4 X 10".

Edited by SJA

If the pickguard isn't a must-have (and why would it be...) the G&L L2000 would be worth trying. Especially if there's a very particular sound you're trying to achieve because it's got so many tonal options onboard. And it's another Leo Fender design with a P-type neck.

Maybe an old Gibson Ripper or Grabber might do the trick if you definitely DO need a pickguard.

Stingray is the obvious choice, but have a look at the ATK. It's heresy to say it, but I actually prefer the sound of mine to the sound of my old 'ray.

I would also have a look at the Sandberg California Precisions - they have a P pickup plus a Musicman pickup at the bridge. Probably at the top of your price range, but very nice basses.

Edited by simon1964

Another vote for the ATK. Less than £350 for a new one, leaving a bit of cash to go towards a rig upgrade as well (which, I agree, is worth checking out before looking at new basses).

[quote name='SJA' post='219118' date='Jun 15 2008, 10:23 AM']another suggestion- keep your Yamaha but try using an amp with 12" or 10" speakers instead for more punch. a 2 X 12", 2 X 10" or 4 X 10".[/quote]

SJA ,

Yes , this had occured to me.I think this Warwick combo probably is aimed at a Warwick Bass , apparently Warwick themselves use one of these when they demo Bass guitars. It's a subtle bit of kit and is a bit Hi Fi for my band, a real quality item.It appealed partly because it is light with the Neo speaker and has wheels/trolley handle.Probably what I need is a 2 x 10 combo, perhaps with a bit more grunt. I only bought it about 9 months ago.

You've all given me plenty to think about , thanks.I might try some amps with my own Bass and take it from there.

I'd say try another cab with your combo sounds like your struggling for headroom if there is no speaker out try this-

[url="http://www.warwickbass.com/amps/amps05.htm"]http://www.warwickbass.com/amps/amps05.htm[/url]

will look and sound quite good :)

Edited by Geddys nose

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='219103' date='Jun 15 2008, 09:46 AM']Ah - Fenders and the old prob with not getting on with both Jazz AND Prec necks.

I think your answer's in your questions. By a jazz and put a prec neck on it. Mighty Mite's are cheap with the dollar price and you could expect to get the money back (or more) by selling the jazz neck.
The twin J pups will get rid of the wooliness of a front P pup you mention and the neck one will add body to the thiness of the bridge one.
Easy to try this out too - play any Jazz and see if you like the sounds. If you just hate the neck you're sorted.

The other replies are sound - in some ways a Ray is a Mk2 Prec and one may well sort you out - but thought I'd offer an alternative.[/quote]

And stick some Wizard pups in ther and you cant go wrong.

[quote name='Geddys nose' post='219253' date='Jun 15 2008, 03:44 PM']I'd say try another cab with your combo sounds like your struggling for headroom if there is no speaker out try this-

[url="http://www.warwickbass.com/amps/amps05.htm"]http://www.warwickbass.com/amps/amps05.htm[/url]

will look and sound quite good :)[/quote]

Geddy N - This sub woofer looks like it's been made to do the job , looks interesting, thanks.

Quite a nice stingray on ebay at the moment.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ernie-Ball-MusicMan-Stingray-Bass-Guitar-ex-display_W0QQitemZ230261828979QQihZ013QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ernie-Ball-MusicMan-...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

I would 100% recommend the G&L L2000. I've had mine a year and I'm still finding new tones to mess about with. The necks are sweet and you'll have no problem cutting through with one. If the US models are out of budget then the Tribute is as good IMO.

[quote name='artisan' post='219909' date='Jun 16 2008, 03:00 PM']i might sound daft but how about a good precision bass,i have 2 of 'em & in a band situation i find them much punchier than my jazz bass. proper kick ass tone really drives the music on.
btw i just happen to have one in the for sale section :)[/quote]

I went through a similar thing. i went from a Jazz, to another Jazz, to a P Bass (which I could have slept with it was that good) but borrowed a Stingray to play with and it does it all. I had an Ashdown setup EVOii 2x10 and 1x15 which was great for rock stuff ith the P bass but was a bit of a one-trick-pony.

I bought the Stingray (3 band eq) I went onto a 2x12 Aguilar cab and a Markbass LMK head which I believe is a common combination with the Stingray. I jest not, it will do anything you want! It will out Jazz my jazz and out p my p! It's a great all rounder and if you can get the right amp combo you will never change again (In my opinion). :huh:

Edited by Huggy and the Bears

A good Westone Thunder :)

Very P in feel, built like a tank and with some great tone (tried it in anger through an ABM 2X10, a Peavey 15" brick and a Crate 12" doo dahh).

It's great through them all with a bit of fiddling and has a lot of flexibility if you get the active version.

And you're gonna like the price - an extremely underated (and undervalued) bass :huh:

Let me also recommend a Bass....

What about something like this....

You can find them on [url="http://www.public-peace.de/"]Public Peace[/url] the Site of Adrian Maruszczyk, a famus German Bassplayer, with Roots in Poland, who builds his own Bass Range.

Only best Woods, Hardware and PU´s. You can choose Colour, Finish (High Gloss or Matte) , Pu´s ( Rough Crystal, Maruszczyk or Bassculture Neodym) and so on, so we´re talking about Half a Custom Bass.
Feel free to contact Adrian. He´s a very kind and helpful Guy, who has always a Pair of open Ears for your Wishes.

No, I´m not working for Adrian, but I´m a very satisfied Player of his Basses