Why become a member? ×

Hi from a non-Bass player

rjf

Hi,

Thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm Rob and I don't play bass (yet), but I'm looking to learn. I first thought of playing bass when I was about 15/16ish, but exams/university/work got in the way a bit. I'm an electronic engineer by trade, but I have worked and now volunteer in theatre sound for a local venue.

Why am I on here? Well my local theatre had Guy Pratt in a month or so ago and it rekindled my interest in the bass. Usually this sort of show results in me feeling like "I could never be as good as <whoever>, so why bother", but I'm now 35 and have got to the point of saying "Why not. Give it a go. Have fun." So a bit of a Google and I found BassChat and here I am.

I hope I can learn a bit from you, but also give a bit back. I have a reasonably strong electronics background so I hope I can help you there.

So "Hi" from Whitehill, Hampshire, UK from...

Rob.

A work colleague of mine has just walked from John O Groats to Lands End. On the way they spent the evening in a pub with a couple of chaps with guitars. One of the punters said that they'd always meant to learn to play. At which point the guitarist said "Well, you aren't dead yet!" which strikes me as the perfect attitude to have about learning new things :) Hope you enjoy learning your new skill and have fun!

Very little. Looked on the map now it looks quite a bit different than the last time I saw it, but I left in 96 and had no reason to ever go back there. Some bits though, woolmer way, saw that built and it looks the same. Seems a lifetime away.

Anyway, lots of pubs round there do music (or at least used to), so grab yourself a bass and get playing.

Hi Rob
Welcome, congratulation in your decision and good luck in learning.
I have come back to play the bass after a couple of decades away and am effectively having to relearn it.
It is a most rewarding instrument with such a wide learning curve, easy(ish) to start and harder to master fully and definitely cooler than guitar (everyone and his sister plays guitar don't they?). Stick with it and you will have a friend for life who doesn't judge you when you haven't touched her in years!
Simon