Why become a member? ×

Scratch Built Bass #4 - now with LED markers.....

Jabba_the_gut

• 1 year later...

It's been a long while but I've actually done some work on this bass!! Neck is underway - block inlays and white LEDs which I think look quite nice without being too bling. Hoping to get this one done for May this year but could be tight!!

I used the Delano pickups on another build so this is now going to be fitted with a pair of Bartonlini jazz pickups. Think I will keep this passive for the moment. Already been told by the wife that I need to sell this when I'm done as there are too many basses around......we'll see!!

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

It's been a while but have finished (nearly...) the DIY so managed to get back on with this build. Started building a new neck that will have a plain maple fretboard as I used the wenge/block inlay neck on another build. I will have LEDs on the neck again though.....

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

Cheers for the positive comments chaps. I've got to say that I'm really pleased with how this one is going so far. I've done a bit of rough sanding to the edges and the veneer pinstripe is looking nice I think. The wenge is rock hard and didn't want to plane by hand very easily!! An old electric planer sorted that.

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]Cheers for the comments – much appreciated!! Building the odd bass now and then is my outlet from a day job shuffling papers.....[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]I’ve done a couple of bits to this recently. I’ve made a controls cover from the same piece of wenge used for the front and I’ve cut the fretboard to shape. The maple for the fretboard is really nice so I’m not going to put block inlays on this as first planned but I will still add side LEDs (probably in white and because I am a tart....).[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Calibri][size=3][color=#000000]I’ve allowed a battery for the LEDs and the possibility of an active circuit but I might leave it passive. I have no idea what passive Bartolini jazz pickups sound like yet so I’ll decide on that later.[/color][/size][/font]

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

It is of no surprise to me anymore that the look and quality of this is tip toeing on a step ladder higher than top drawer stuff. Apart from the drivel I've just come out with, words fail me ... ;)

Ref the pickups, I've been more than impressed with the Seymour Duncan 2 band EQ designed for passive pickups. To me, it's the best of both worlds. The 3 band is also great, but too many options for my limited sonic capabilities.

Can't wait to see the finished article :)

• 1 month later...

Progress on this one is a bit slow - been distracted by my 'door' project but also I spent quite a bit of time tring to find the right material for the fret markers. I was after something very specific; I wanted something black, 3mm diameter with a 1.5 mm hole don the centre for the led. After a lot of searching I found some carbon fibre tube that met this spec which I thn fitted. The problem was when I sanded it back the dust was so fine it filled and small pores in the wood and, being very picky, I wasn't happy with it.

I'm trying to re-use this fretboard so I have planed off the wenge veneer on the base of it and have drilled out the carbon dots. I'm going to put veneer strips down the end of the board and try again. I have found another material that I think will look better - I hope!!

This is stunning work Jabba
Have you considered Lumilay for the side dots?
I just got some for a 5 string neck I'm starting on and it looks great, works a treat and came very quickly direct from Japan, which is more than I can say for the UK Musicman parts supplier!

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1451728821' post='2942747']
Hi Rubis. Thanks for the comments. I'm not familiar with Luminlay so just looked at their website and they have something that would be perfect!! Many thanks for that. Jez
[/quote]
Hi Jabba
I'm a fan of Luminlay and fit it pretty much as standard nowadays on my basses and guitars. However, be aware they don't stay very bright for very long. They retain a residual glow for a long time that I personally find perfectly adequate for gigging in dark venues, but the bright glow you see in the ads only lasts for 30 mins or so.
They are, on the other hand, quite good doubling as daytime dots as the luminescent material is quite light in colour and looks like standard white clay dots. They are also very easy to fit (there's a thread of mine somewhere going through it).
Andy

Very nice - Ref the carbon - It's quite dusty, unpleasant stuff when it's being finished. There's probably a way - (say using wax + acetone to remove it from the unfinished wood) - to get it to work as a finished dot marker. Not something to try on a good neck blank however!

It's coming along swimmingly. Nice work with the Wenge - that stuff is pretty challenging wood. Looks lovely in the end though!

I pegged the original fret marker holes with some scrap wood and I've now trimmed the fretboard so I can run a couple of veneer strips down the edges. I'll have another go at the fret markers using something that isn't carbon this time.....hopefully it will go better this time.