Why become a member? ×

I Gotta Learn These Parts

Lowender

Well...pieces of them. Most are little too complex but I'd like to get a handle on some of it.

They put videos together for this piece but made it out to be the best channels for bass players instead of a showcase of interesting new players. At any rate, a good read and some good choices.

I may have a difference of opinion here and there but it's nice to hear some up front bass playing coming from a fresh place. I sure can't find it on the radio! The sample vids are a lot of fun. And humbling. http://www.forbassplayersonly.com/Features/Top-10-YouTube-Channels-For-Bass-Players.html

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1377333324' post='2186259']
Some interesting players although a lot of it is a bit too slappy or soloey for me.

There are so many other great players out there too that didn't make it on, no shortage of inspiration for bass players on the internet these days.
[/quote]

I agree though it's hard not to escape the "up-frontness' of good slap bass. Many aren't slapping though, and I must admit Lydia's groove is one I want to learn. The first guy is just insane. And the others are just playing interesting bass for the most part. Actually Andy's stuff is the one I'd leave alone. It's more tapping. It's great, but it's his thing whereas I'll tap for maybe one measure every 100 songs or so . lol

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1377333324' post='2186259']
Some interesting players although a lot of it is a bit too slappy or soloey for me.

There are so many other great players out there too that didn't make it on, no shortage of inspiration for bass players on the internet these days.
[/quote]

And that's the thing isn't it, as a representation of a variety of bass styles and skills it's way short of the mark. There were a couple I liked, but the general gist of it is one geezer's idea of what he likes to see in bassists, and he's very limited by what he's heard and what he likes.

The first guy doing the Tom Sawyer slap thing was awful. Zero beauty. Andy Saxton is excellent. The guy doing Roundabout was very good too.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1377424751' post='2187254']
And that's the thing isn't it, as a representation of a variety of bass styles and skills it's way short of the mark. There were a couple I liked, but the general gist of it is one geezer's idea of what he likes to see in bassists, and he's very limited by what he's heard and what he likes.

The first guy doing the Tom Sawyer slap thing was awful. Zero beauty. Andy Saxton is excellent. The guy doing Roundabout was very good too.
[/quote]

A thrash metal guy, a funk gal, a melodic fretless player, a deep groove guy, a tapper, a fusion soloist, a rock pick player, a chord melody player etc. Seemed pretty diverse to me. I can think of a few people I'd say were equal, or maybe better, but I can't say this or that style was missing.

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1377440768' post='2187521']
A thrash metal guy, a funk gal, a melodic fretless player, a deep groove guy, a tapper, a fusion soloist, a rock pick player, a chord melody player etc. Seemed pretty diverse to me. I can think of a few people I'd say were equal, or maybe better, but I can't say this or that style was missing.
[/quote]
Jazz does often get forgotten doesn't it :lol:

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1377449962' post='2187677']
Hmmm, good point. lol Well, there are a few "jazzy" moments, then again, who's doing anything new in jazz on an electric?
[/quote]

[url="http://youtu.be/2aRC3YY3svs"]http://youtu.be/2aRC3YY3svs[/url]

As with all these things, you cant deny the ability and skill on show, but few for me would pass as musical enjoyment (obviously the covers stomp and yes etc are great lines replicated beautifully)

I cant get beyond bass being a wonderful instrument when playing a line supporting and holding the music together with groove, slap out front style playing just does not capture me, that does mean though I dont respect the skills some have.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1377511029' post='2188213']
I cant get beyond bass being a wonderful instrument when playing a line supporting and holding the music together with groove, slap out front style playing just does not capture me, that does mean though I don't respect the skills some have.
[/quote]

+1. I've never been able to regard electric bass guitar as a solo instrument, or even a 'featured' instrument.
It does what it does best in concert. IMHO! :)

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1377508405' post='2188163']
[media]http://youtu.be/2aRC3YY3svs[/media]
[/quote]

Ha! Agreed, but Esperanza isn't exactly "unknown." She got an Grammy, she'll have to be happy with that. : ) And is this really "jazz?" it's more R&B. I think ES is tremendously talented but I have to say, her music leaves me a little flat. 10 seconds after this song was over, I could play the bassline but I couldn't sing a single lyric or melody line. It just wasn't memorable. And for that reason I don't think she'll ever crossover to having mass popular appeal.

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1377527018' post='2188466']
I don't think she'll ever crossover to having mass popular appeal.
[/quote]

good old popular appeal

shall we vote for the lovely Esperanza
or wait for the next heap of talentless dross served up by simon scowell (he is jolly good at mass popular appeal after all) ;)

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1377527786' post='2188479']
good old popular appeal

shall we vote for the lovely Esperanza
or wait for the next heap of talentless dross served up by simon scowell (he is jolly good at mass popular appeal after all) ;)
[/quote]

I wasn't equating popularity with quality. But I feel with all ES has going for her, she already has a fast track to public attention, but she lacks in the songwriting department and for that reason her appeal remains limited. "I Don't Care" is mindless junk, but it's catchy. I feel the best artists manage with combine musical ability with with memorable melodies -- Beatles, Yes, Chick Corea, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden -- they all have great players and hooks you can sing along to.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1377527018' post='2188466']
Ha! Agreed, but Esperanza isn't exactly "unknown." She got an Grammy, she'll have to be happy with that. : ) And is this really "jazz?" it's more R&B. I think ES is tremendously talented but I have to say, her music leaves me a little flat. 10 seconds after this song was over, I could play the bassline but I couldn't sing a single lyric or melody line. It just wasn't memorable. And for that reason I don't think she'll ever crossover to having mass popular appeal.
[/quote]

It's about being lovely to listen to rather than being memorable and being able to play the bassline. If you want memorable, listen to One Direction.

I have the Esperanza Spalding album, I love it. And this is a genre of music I usually detest (it's that sort of Snarky Puppy territory that makes me puke a bit in my mouth), but she brings it alive with her writing and voice and overall vibe. Being memorable as a quality factor is totally subjective init. Depends on how good your memory is aswell.

Also you say she lacks in the songwriting department. On what criteria are you making these judgements?

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1377597599' post='2189103']
It's about being lovely to listen to rather than being memorable and being able to play the bassline. If you want memorable, listen to One Direction.

I have the Esperanza Spalding album, I love it. And this is a genre of music I usually detest (it's that sort of Snarky Puppy territory that makes me puke a bit in my mouth), but she brings it alive with her writing and voice and overall vibe. Being memorable as a quality factor is totally subjective init. Depends on how good your memory is aswell.

Also you say she lacks in the songwriting department. On what criteria are you making these judgements?
[/quote]

All the great music that lasts through the ages has been memorable -- from Bach, to Beethoven to Gershwin to the Beatles. "Nice music to listen to" is fine while waiting in the dentsts' office.

Music being memorable has nothing to do with memory. I can learn and memorize a part pretty quickly, but that doesn't make it memorable music. Most people know nothing of opera but they can hum Nessun Dorma or Paliacci because the melodies are so memorable. And One Direction don't have memorable melodis, that have REPETITIVE melodies -- or what I call "nursery rhyme" melodies. That isn't good songwriting either, but it is arguably better than ES in regard to construction. Just using a lot of changes and dense chords doesn't mean much. That's how I used to write before I learned how to write better songs.

What criteria am I using to make the judgement that ES songwriting is lacking? The same as anyone else's -- opinion. And I think my opinion is somewhat educated. Also, the fact that she 's got a ton of promotion and no hits says something.

I don;t want to make this a ES bashing or defense. I think she's fine. My comment was a passing thought, and there will always be someone who wants to escalate it. My original point was that the article had some great players that aren't well know and that's cool. But instead of evaluating the choices or even offering others choices, people just seem to want to complain that it didn't suit them exactly as they preferred. I just don't get that.

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1377611223' post='2189354']
All the great music that lasts through the age is memorable from Bach, to Beethoven to Gershwin to the Beatles. "Nice music to listen to is fine while waiting in the dentsts' office.

Music being memorable has nothing to do with memory. I can learn and memorize a part pretty quickly, but that doesn't make it memorable music. Most people know nothing of opera but they can hum Nessun Dorma or Paliacci because the melodies are so memorable. And One Direction don;t have memorable melodis, that have REPETITIVE melodies -- or what I call "nursery rhyme" melodies. That isn;t good songwriting either, but it is better than ES in regard to construction. Just using a lot of changes and dense chords doesn't mean much. That's how I used to write before I learned how to write better songs.

What criteria am I using to make the judgement that ES songwriting is lacking? The same as anyone else's -- opinion. And I think my opinion is somewhat educated. Also, the fact that she 's got a ton of promotion and no hits says something.
[/quote]

May I hear some of your music please?

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1377612945' post='2189382']
I'm always interested to hear great songwriting mate, so I thought I would ask.
[/quote]
oh I know Nige I just saw another opportunity to throw this cat (I have been minding) at those Pidgeons :lol:

Edited by witterth