Why become a member? ×

Can someone lend me a bass?

Bassman Sam

I'm on the scrounge.

As some will know, I haven't been able to play for a while due to RA. I have had an op on my right wrist about 8 weeks ago and things are looking good.

Today, I saw the surgeon and was given the all clear to return to work on Thursday. The op has left me with a metal bar around 5 inches long in my wrist and it gives me limited mobility of my right hand. I can't write or sign my signature anymore but I'm sure, with practice, that will come back. I just have to reprogramme my muscle memory. I'm pain free now and that is great.

Here's the ask. Can anyone in the NW lend me a bass for a couple of weeks so I can see if I play again. I would love to get back into it but I don't want to spend my hard earned on a bass if it's going to be a waste of TIM and my OH would kill me for spending her shoe funds.

I'm not looking for anything fancy, any 4 string bass would be welcome as long as it's not an AC. ;)
[size=4] [/size]
Cheers.

Sam

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1377037505' post='2182667']...as long as it's not an AC...[/quote]

Damned..! That's all I have spare..! Are you sure..? I know of a lefty that's not getting played... :lol:

Good luck with the trials; hope it works out. B)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1377040502' post='2182711']
Damned..! That's all I have spare..! Are you sure..? I know of a lefty that's not getting played... :lol:

Good luck with the trials; hope it works out. B)
[/quote]

A lefty might be an option, my right hand might get a rest, IYKWIM. ;)[size=4] [/size]

Hey Sam

Just put my Spector NS-94 on evilbay, but the auction finishes on Monday and if it doesn't reach the reserve / sell then you would be most welcome to borrow it.

Feel free to PM me if it would be of any use.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1377081847' post='2183033']
Hey Sam

Just put my Spector NS-94 on evilbay, but the auction finishes on Monday and if it doesn't reach the reserve / sell then you would be most welcome to borrow it.

Feel free to PM me if it would be of any use.
[/quote]

Cheers for the offer Ead, I'm sorted now. I hope to be meeting Paul tonight to borrow his P bass. You've got to love this place, some great people on here.

If you can start playing again , I would expect choice of strings , setup and even scale length might be important in easing back into things . I would think that it would be very much a case of the less tension /resistance the better . The good news is that there are plenty of options on the market nowadays to fascilitate those kinds of choices .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1377098077' post='2183329']
If you can start playing again , I would expect choice of strings , setup and even scale length might be important in easing back into things . I would think that it would be very much a case of the less tension /resistance the better . The good news is that there are plenty of options on the market nowadays to fascilitate those kinds of choices .
[/quote]

Very true, I think a short scale bass might be in order if I can get back into the swing of things. I'll save that judgement for another day though, I'm just looking forward to a wee noddle at home for now.

I met up with Paul_5 in Hazel Grove and picked up his P bass. Been playing at home unplugged for about an hour now and things seem to be working OK, (me, not the bass, it's fine). I am rusty after over 2 years of not playing but it's surprising how much I can remember. My fingers are softer than sh*te and I think a few blisters will be making an appearance soon. Hay ho.
Things are looking good at the moment though. Paul, you are a star and thanks once again.

Edit for Update.

Overdone it, my right hand is now sore due to me trying to push my wrist further that it can physically move to. Muscle memory needs re -programming, that's going to be fun. I have to change my playing style to suit. Muppet, Why didn't I think of this before.

Trial and error for now on in small doses.

* walks off whistling Always look on the bright side of life.*

Edited by Bassman Sam

Sam if you're still struggling with the P after a while I have 2 (soon to be 3 when I pick it up tomorrow) short scales and you're welcome to borrow one of them if you think it might make a difference. I live near Wigan. Not sure the short scale would help if it's your right wrist though :huh: .

Les

Cool. If your not sure after 20 mins with a shorty don't part with your cash, try one of mine for a few weeks. I'm just about to start a new job so I'm dead busy and the band is down to one(ish) gigs a month for a couple of months cos' of everyones commitments, so as long as I have a gigging bass your welcome to the others..

I played P's for years then a Stingray for about 20 years, then retired, got dragged kicking and scraming out of retirement 6 years ago, then about a year ago I developed 2 frozen shoulders and ended up having to go back to my short scale, it helps a lot with the injury too.

Your short scale options would be a Mustang, an Encore P bass(ish) style thing and an Epi EB-0 that I'm picking up tomorrow.

Good luck

Les