Why become a member? ×

What makes a bass bassey?

Looper

Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this for me. I have three basses, two p copies and a mex jazz. The jazz is a far better bass but lacks the bassiness of the other two. The acoustic sound, and therefore the amplified sound is just lighter, I'm compensating with the eq but still not able to get same richness. The two p's have plywood bodies so I'm surprised that, to my ear, they sound better. I doubt its the strings, one p has rounds, the other flats, and the jazz has flats. Is it to do with the woods, or is it a precision vs jazz thing? Any thoughts welcomed. Thanks.

There's all sorts of things going on. The P pup has a huge low-mid emphasis which results in 'audible' bass (but not necessarily low bass). The J pups are more full range so you might need to roll off the treble to appreciate the bass that (in the vast majority of J basses) [i]is[/i] there. Also the acoustic sound isn't always indicative of the amplified sound.

I've got a Mexican Jazz and it's not lacking in bass. In fact I keep the treble-cut/tone turned right up because to me, if you wind it the other way the bass gets too much.

Sorry to disagree with Iceonaboy, but take the pups right down to the bottom and give the strings space to breathe. You could also raise the action a bit on the bridge, this too may help.

Here's mine

As Adrenochrome says, it`s mainly the difference in the pickups. Precision pickups have that huge low-mid presence which equates to a real solid audible low-end. I`ve always found that a Jazz has more low-end, but is much tighter and specific, so it just doesn`t seem as bassy.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1376903697' post='2180449']Sorry to disagree with Iceonaboy, but take the pups right down to the bottom and give the strings space to breathe. [/quote]

I think what he was getting at was that if the neck pickup is lower than the bridge pickup, then the overall sound (with both pickups selected) might well lack a bit of bass response, as it will be dominated by the (less bassy) bridge pickup.

Makes sense to me. But of course, lowering both pickups equally should still give a balanced sound, just less of it. Still - that's what amps are for!

Not sure what you mean by giving the strings "room to breathe" though... :blink:

Thanks for all the input. I'd have to say that I really don't think it's the pick-ups, i've messed with them on the jazz, and one of the p's is a p/j. It's the sound of the basses themselves, the jazz has a light bright sound, both acoustically and plugged in, which was why I tried flats, but it still lacks the bassiness of the other two. Can't help thinking that either plywood has great bass resonance or maybe it's something in the chunkier precision neck? It's just that the jazz is lovely to play, but the sound from the p's is making me play them more. Thanks again.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1376901719' post='2180415']
Try adding more Shirley.
[/quote]

Bravo!

I think you've just discovered that the Precision sounds better than the Jazz. Next step - sell the lot and buy a decent P!

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1377078397' post='2182965']
Bravo!

I think you've just discovered that the Precision sounds better than the Jazz. Next step - sell the lot and buy a decent P!
[/quote] My jazz is more bassey than my P or my PJ. Also any 2 pup bass has more flexibility on sound. Ps are too rigid, unless you want one sound alone and that's it. IMHO...

I've had a Mex Jazz for several years, but recently bought a Jap P 'cos I wanted one. A combination of underpowered pickup and a fat neck on the P sent me pretty quickly back to the Jazz. I know this won't be everyone's experience, but I personally can't fault the Mex Jazz which has been a loyal servant for many years. I know that a lot of people switch out the pickup on their P, but I personally can't be arsed, having only recently bought the P. The J however is always ready to offer full-range tones - given sympathetic amp EQ settings, of course. Low mids on the amp EQ can often speak volumes...

BB