Why become a member? ×

Outdoor gig - Markbass power unleashed

Lozz196

Just done an outdoor gig, and am amazed - yet again - at how my tiny Markbass CMD121P combo & NY121 ext cab performed. Nothing other than vocs going through PA, in a big pub garden under a tent/marquee. Had to up the lows a bit, but other than that, the depth of sound, certainly where I was, was great. I did another outdoor gig a few years back using my Marshall DBD7400 & VBC412 and I think the Markbass sounded better.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1376773109' post='2179061']
I keep thinking about adding to my tiny bass heads stable (current occupancy: 1), and natural I dwell from time to time upon Markbass. So what is the closest equivalent head to the amp in the CMD121P combo?
[/quote]

The amp in the CMD121P is the same as the LMIII (or LMII depending on how old it is).

Edited by BassBus

I've got the jeff berlin mark bass combo, I use 15" speakers about 5 years ago never liked the sound, but my god I asked my local music shop to get one in for me to try out they had other markbass stuff in but I don't like tweeters and never had, then I got the call about this little baby shocked I could lift it with one arm and then the sound sweet Jesus !!! Never heard anything like it even the guys in the shop were shocked !!! And still I turn the treble down because its a tad too bright for me but man awesome combo. It's has the little mark II head installed.

Lot of love here for the 121p. I don't play with particularly loud bands but have done a mix of stuff including outdoor stuff with no walls to bounce of and have not needed any more than it can give so far. Anything bigger would probably be with PA support anyway. Presently gassing for the NY121 just so I can start referring to my combo as a 'rig'!

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1376830404' post='2179594']
Any feedback from audience members/other band members?
[/quote]

Well when we played In The City & Eton Rifles by The Jam, the audience cheered as soon as the bass came in, so that would make me think it was certainly loud enough. The guy who whose PA it was was the bassist in the previous band and he asked how much my rig cost, as he said it had a great sound. Re the band, well the singer says "the bass just goes boom in the background" - kindof says it all really.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1376772250' post='2179045']
Just done an outdoor gig, and am amazed - yet again - at how my tiny Markbass CMD121P combo & NY121 ext cab performed. Nothing other than vocs going through PA, in a big pub garden under a tent/marquee. Had to up the lows a bit, but other than that, the depth of sound, certainly where I was, was great. I did another outdoor gig a few years back using my Marshall DBD7400 & VBC412 and I think the Markbass sounded better.
[/quote]

Ha! I just posted something along the same lines!

Pub beer garden, nice stage, PA for vocals and everything else by itself. I did not use an extension cab. It would have been nice, but because of logistics I decided to make do with the CMD121P combo alone, plus they asked us not to be too loud. And the little yellow and black fellow did its thing remarkably well without sweat. :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1376772250' post='2179045']
[/quote]

Yes, I did an outdoor gig a few weeks back
I used my trusty CMD121 combo, with my added 151 cab
I was the only one not going through the PA, and was asked to turn down!

It was the 3rd time I've used my amp gear for an open air gig
And I've always been told it sounds great, and carries and cuts-through well

I'm more than pleased with my Markbass gear :)

Marc