Why become a member? ×

Proud owner of Ashdown LB30

badboy1984

I'd guess that pairing would sound very much like the LB30 drophead combo. I do know that my LB30 and BF Compact sound very sweet together.

Question for you - do you find the LB30 Mid-shift and Bright switches do very little (if anything) tonally? I get a big change from the Bass-shift switch - much more midrange in the up position. Basically nothing from the Mid-shift, and a very slightly perceptable change with the Bright switch.

Would be interested to hear your findings.

Cheers

Geoff

I haven't tried it out properly at home yet, only tried it in shop when playing via a VS115. When i tried it out it didn't do much but it change the tone when i toggle the mid shift after the bass shift etc.

If i remember correctly the EQ is passive like the spyder 550 i use to have, which means it doesn't act like a normal bass, mid, treble boost and cut EQ we usually see on most bass amps.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried a LB30 in PMT Bristol yesterday, through a massive Orange 1x15 cab (OBC115 I think). Disappointingly quiet I have to say. This was with a meaty passive bass (Yamaha BB714BS), gain at 3 o'clock, master at 12 o'clock to 2 o'clock. I assume there was some sort of problem, or maybe the cab was not very efficient.

My Chinese-made VS115 is 17kg by the way. It's the second cab for my 220 Touring Combo which is very nice. Similar tone controls to the LB, no idea if the sound's similar, probably not for the price but I do love how mine dirties-up the sound when you turn the gain up. Try plugging an active bass into the passive input too for added distortion :) (the manual for my 220 said it's ok to do so).

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1379245769' post='2210183']
Tried a LB30 in PMT Bristol yesterday, through a massive Orange 1x15 cab (OBC115 I think). Disappointingly quiet I have to say. This was with a meaty passive bass (Yamaha BB714BS), [b]gain at 3 o'clock, master at 12 o'clock to 2 o'clock[/b]. I assume there was some sort of problem, or maybe the cab was not very efficient.
[/quote]

I thought the LB had just a single vol control ie not a separate gain & master vol?

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1377104449' post='2183436']
I'd guess that pairing would sound very much like the LB30 drophead combo. I do know that my LB30 and BF Compact sound very sweet together.

Question for you - do you find the LB30 Mid-shift and Bright switches do very little (if anything) tonally? I get a big change from the Bass-shift switch - much more midrange in the up position. Basically nothing from the Mid-shift, and a very slightly perceptable change with the Bright switch.

Would be interested to hear your findings.

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]

Ive got the exact same setup, I find the bright switch makes a huge difference, i guess its for less hifi cabs as it sounds pants with the bf.

The mid switch does make a small difference, but not much.

I only just started liking the bass switch, with it off i get a Steve Harris kind of tone, switched in and cranked up it becomes huge!

[quote name='Mikey R' timestamp='1379274043' post='2210751']
Ive got the exact same setup, I find the bright switch makes a huge difference, i guess its for less hifi cabs as it sounds pants with the bf.

The mid switch does make a small difference, but not much.

I only just started liking the bass switch, with it off i get a Steve Harris kind of tone, switched in and cranked up it becomes huge!
[/quote]
I find the exact same with the bass shift switch. Nice, ain't it? ;)

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1379274243' post='2210757']

I find the exact same with the bass shift switch. Nice, ain't it? ;)
[/quote]

The character of the amp changes massively as you push the power amp, i find you need to play with the tone controls as you change the master.

I really is an excelent amp for hard rock and metal, im not sure how it would cope with something smoother.

The amp only have 1 single volume knob, no seperate gain/volume so dunno why someone says the amp is quiet with gain and volume set ......

I wouldn't call this amp clean but i do like the growl i get from the amp. Is not massive loud like a all valve SVT but certainly loud enough for many things and is enough for small pub gig etc and even use it as stage monitor with DI out ......

If i remember correctly the EQ knob affect each other when adjusting, so is not like a normal EQ where you can cut and boost whatever you like? I maybe wrong, but it certainly cover a well range of tone you you know how to adjust the knobs and combine it with the bass/mid/treble shift

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1379245769' post='2210183']
gain at 3 o'clock, master at 12 o'clock to 2 o'clock.
[/quote]

You can't use the Master for two hours and then wait one hour before using the Gain. That's really nonsense, and you should've known better, Axe.
:P ;)

That said, are you shure you tried the Little Bastard and not the CTM-15?
The LB (sadly) has no Gain knob.

Something to do with Ashdown design. They could easily put the gain knob on the LB30 but they decide not to ...... then when they design the CTM etc they realise having a separate gain/volume is more useful. I got to admit having a separate gain/volume is better but i'm pretty happy with my LB30 already ......

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1379497998' post='2213287']
having a separate gain/volume is better but i'm pretty happy with my LB30 already ......
[/quote]

Same here.
In an ideal world, I'd like a pre gain, a power stage gain, and one of those ultra expensive heavy duty post power stage volume control thingies (an UEHDPPSVCT).
Twill never happen, I guess.

I don't really know how loud is these LB30 can goes as i haven't even crack past half on my .......... i use a 2x12 cabs so it gives decent volume. Got to try plug this head on a 8x10 to see the volume.

So people i know gig with their LB30 drop head combo which i believe is the same LB30 head but on a 1x15 cab.

Edited by badboy1984

I often gig my LB30 with my Compact. On the odd occasion I need some extra oomph I use a little into the PA from the DI. I find the LB30 easily giggable in most pub situations, I wonder if Ashdown had any idea how usable this amp is when they designed it. Some of us lowly peeps don't need 300w of valve output. Having said that, if I had some spare cash I'd go for a CTM100 in a heartbeat.