Why become a member? ×

Question for Rat users

rhythmbug

I've owned a Turbo Rat for a little while and would like to solve the loss of bass frequencies issue by possibly adding a Boss EQ pedal. Is this the most common treatment?
Would using a Line Selector not be a better option? What about an MXR87 compressor for additional tightness? The high end really can roar, but it starts drowning out the guitars. What I want is all that snarl centred in the midrange, the sharp highs rolled off slightly.

I stumbled across the Fuzzrocious range of pedals. Has anyone compared an EQ boosted Turbo Rat to one of these bad boys? I heard some good samples on their website. Are they available to try out anywhere in London?

Edited by rhythmbug

Definitely recommend Fuzzrocious if you want a bass orientated Rat with more options. They're a small family business in the US though, no dealers over here other than Joes Pedals, so either by from Joe or direct for even more custom options :)

Si

What they all said. If you EQ in more bass before the RAT you'll just generate a more congested mid-range at the output; if you EQ after it, there probably won't be much bottom end left to boost. For a clean/dirty mix I would recommend TheGigRig's [url="http://www.thegigrig.com/cgi-bin/sh000007.pl?WD=wet&PN=WetBox-401%2ehtml#SID=13"]Wet Box[/url] - although it is described as letting you add delayed/chorused/whatever signal to your clean signal, it will work just as well mixing dirty with clean.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1376610550' post='2176959']
What they all said. If you EQ in more bass before the RAT you'll just generate a more congested mid-range at the output; if you EQ after it, there probably won't be much bottom end left to boost. For a clean/dirty mix I would recommend TheGigRig's [url="http://www.thegigrig.com/cgi-bin/sh000007.pl?WD=wet&PN=WetBox-401%2ehtml#SID=13"]Wet Box[/url] - although it is described as letting you add delayed/chorused/whatever signal to your clean signal, it will work just as well mixing dirty with clean.
[/quote]

This, EQ won't really help you, you need a clean blend or a bass mod done to the rat. A Turbo RAT blended in an LS-2 was my main dirt sound for quite a while, always sounded great, I only sold it to upgrade to a Fuzzrocious Rat Tail.

That's always been my issues with dirt pedals, the loss of bottom end and clean sound. I have been using a Bright Onions dual loop pedal for a while now and it's brilliant. I ordered mine with wet/dry blends as extras and now I dial in as much clean bass as I need. A cracking little box.

I actually found the Turbo Rat to have a more usable tone when played through directly, rather than in a blend loop. That said, the sweet-spot is very, very precise and the slightest twist in either direction caused me to disappear or blow the guitarist's ears off. He's still looking for them now...

Great pedal, but I'm using a Rat Tail now too...

bright onion also do a wet/dry mix blend/looper pedal that really nice, I've just got one and it's working a treat!

[url="http://www.brightonion.co.uk/blender-looper/"]http://www.brightonion.co.uk/blender-looper/[/url]

Edited by andydye

Thanks for all the feedback! I agree the Rat has definitely a sweet spot. I feel it's bit of a one trick pony (though it's a damn good trick) and in that light perhaps upgrading to Fuzzrocious would kill two birds with one stone. But so many different models though it's a bit overwhelming, some with modifications, some with extra functions, some more basic. I've watched some demo vids. I'm tempted by elaborate models like the Rat King, but flip me it has so many controls! A lot of the demo sounds seem a bit OTT for everyday purposes. Do they do a milder, grindier, tube driven sort of sound? Could they make a VT Bass pedal redundant? If anyone could guide me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. I play a Fender P and a Warwick Corvette (emgs).