Why become a member? ×

Errrr?

bigthumb

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1954-Fender-Precision-P-Bass-w-Original-Gigbag-/290961027131?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43bea0f03b"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item43bea0f03b[/url]

Original gig bag you say? :mellow:

Edited by bigthumb

Yep. I took a look last night, and despite a £3.33 starting price the body text consisted of a graphic saying the starting price was £2500 with a buy it now of the same amount. His email was given several times with the instruction to contact him if you wanted to buy.

And in spite of the sellers location being given as South Tottenham, the sellers actual address was listed as being in China.

All that before you even got into the dubious nature of the bass itself!

[quote name='bigthumb' timestamp='1376601499' post='2176822']
Yeah a '54 or so they said!

Something a bit more legitimate though

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Precision-Bass-1964-/111144783461?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item19e0bece65"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19e0bece65[/url]
[/quote]

99p!? BID PLACED! *crosses fingers* :lol:

[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1376637807' post='2177056']
Unless I'm much mistaken, won't eBay have problems with the seller stating he won't accept Paypal?
[/quote]

Yes. Regardless of whether he wants collection only, any seller has to accept paypal as a valid form of payment. You'd have to be a twazzer to pay by paypal and then go and collect but it has to be an option open to the buyer.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1376639779' post='2177081']
You'd have to be a twazzer to pay by paypal and then go and collect but it
[/quote]
Funny you should say that but i've bought three basses on ebay that i went and picked up. Two of the sellers asked me to pay by paypal and only the other one was happy with cash. Paying by paypal does entitle you to their 'buyer protection' but i agree that if you're picking something up you don't need this.
I also bought a bass recently very near where i live which i picked up and the buyer preferred paypal over cash!

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1376645264' post='2177191']
Funny you should say that but i've bought three basses on ebay that i went and picked up. Two of the sellers asked me to pay by paypal and only the other one was happy with cash. Paying by paypal does entitle you to their 'buyer protection' but i agree that if you're picking something up you don't need this.
I also bought a bass recently very near where i live which i picked up and the buyer preferred paypal over cash!
[/quote]

Paypal is used because it's a safe form of payment. If I did a lot of stuff on eBay, or even just the odd "collection only" sale, I'd want to be paid by paypal too.

There used to be a form of fraud on ebay. People would pay for collection only items by paypal. They would go and collect the item. Upon returning home, they would open an 'item not received' case. The seller would be asked to provide proof of delivery, which they couldn't, and the buyer would get refunded. They'd then have the item, and the money.

I don't know to what degree this actually happened, but it was certainly discussed a lot in the ebay community.

I've only ever paid for a collection only item by paypal once. And that was a simple mistake on my part.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1376648020' post='2177244']

Paypal is used because it's a safe form of payment. If I did a lot of stuff on eBay, or even just the odd "collection only" sale, I'd want to be paid by paypal too.
[/quote]

I don't think you'd want to be paid by paypal as a seller of a collection only item. There have been cases where collection only buyers have fraudulently taken and won paypal cases due to there being no proof of postage/receipt.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1376649350' post='2177274']
There used to be a form of fraud on ebay. People would pay for collection only items by paypal. They would go and collect the item. Upon returning home, they would open an 'item not received' case. The seller would be asked to provide proof of delivery, which they couldn't, and the buyer would get refunded. They'd then have the item, and the money.

I don't know to what degree this actually happened, but it was certainly discussed a lot in the ebay community.

I've only ever paid for a collection only item by paypal once. And that was a simple mistake on my part.
[/quote]

Oops....took too long to type my post!

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1376652084' post='2177332']
I'd be interested to know why.
[/quote]

It's traceable, and secure. How do I know that the person isn't paying me in counterfeit notes, or going to give me a cheque that will bounce? Paypal just takes any of that worry out. And for buying - If it's one of those "We'll meet in a carpark halfway" deals, and then you later realise you have bought something stolen, and you know nothing about the fellow you bought it off, Paypal knows stuff about him.

The problem with paying by PayPal and then collecting in person is that although the financial part of the transaction is documented the goods part isn't hence the various scams as mention previously.

I always ask for cash if the buyer is collecting and explain to them why. If they insist on PayPal then they have to also accept a tracked and signed for official delivery.