Why become a member? ×

Drop tune effect

Si600

I was playing with odd tuning last night, DADG for Killing in the Name. Just out of curiosity is there an effect patch or stompbox that would replicate that, like a mutant octaver or something? The more I think about it as I write the more problems I can see with it so it's probably been tried and thrown away as a bad idea!

If you want to switch between EADG and DADG tuning, the only option you've got (that I can think of) is to detune or fit an extender switch. However, if you can live with switching between EADG and DGCF tuning, there are a number of options available. I occasionally use the 'Down 2nd' setting on the Whammy V.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='wilsc89' timestamp='1380237110' post='2222819']
I used to do all my dropped tunings on a 5 string, why retune when you can just play the 3rd fret instead on the B. Ultimate in laziness. Also seemed to make It sound, I suppose tighter would be the best way to describe it...
[/quote]
What about those who either
a ) don't own a 5 string
b ) don't get on with them

Xtenders are great. Need one for my Purple Beastie

Edited by woodyratm

I went from a 6 string back down to a 4 as I thought it would suit the RAWK band that I'm currently in better and been happy just de/retuning the E (in reality it's a D as we play down a full step and drop to C for some songs), but I have recently realised one of the reasons why I used to always prefer 5/6ers over 4's is because I prefer the tone out of a fretted note rather than open... Means I'm on the hunt for a 5er again!

So personally I would suggest a 5er (or a dedicated alt-tuned bass). After that an Xtender does look interesting, followed by a good tuner and just retuning when you need to change tunings, then bottom of the heap I'd put the effect from simulating a drop tune. My reasoning being that I'm pretty sure a quality one would probably cost more than a good second hand Squier...

Oh another idea that hasn't been mentioned yet... A Sub-octave and playing on the D string instead?

• 4 weeks later...