Why become a member? ×

SHERGOLD basses

marcus bell

• 2 weeks later...

Not your standard off the shelf Marathon, so it will have lost some value. J type Wizard 84 pick-up added - originally a DiMarzio was placed in that slot in the early 80s. The control scratch plate and three way selector switch were added at the same time, together with a Badass bridge shortly after. The old plastic bridge cover is knocking about somewhere.

Lovely guitars there BetaFunk. :)

Edited by ShergoldSnickers

Here a pic of the one I owned and played for years until I got that Jazz back in the late 80's and moved the Shergold on as I couldn't afford to keep both, it's the only bass I regret selling and I've sold a lot!

[attachment=142234:Dave_069lr.jpg]

[quote name='ash' timestamp='1377339254' post='2186375']
This is my Shergold fretless 6 String Marathon one of only four ever made two of which are now fretted!
[/quote]
I can't believe there were only 4 made. I had one and Andy Pask from Landscape reviewed one in Musicians Only Mag (I think..) back in the day. I converted mine to long scale and added a Gotoh soapbar humbucker at the bridge. Sold it to guy who came up from Bristol. Quite a sweet sounding bass.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1377386859' post='2187066']

I can't believe there were only 4 made. I had one and Andy Pask from Landscape reviewed one in Musicians Only Mag (I think..) back in the day. I converted mine to long scale and added a Gotoh soapbar humbucker at the bridge. Sold it to guy who came up from Bristol. Quite a sweet sounding bass.
[/quote]

The information came from the original owner who had it from new and the Shergold forum. There was a thread about the numbers of production model Shergold Marathon 6 strings made and co founder Norman Houlder reckoned around 100. The fretless version was made as a very small run and few have survived in their original fretless form. I can see why they were converted to fretted instruments as intonation is very difficult on a shortscale fretless instrument when playing chords! There are quite a few post production basses made up from 'new old' factory stock in existence. In all honesty I was going to have mine converted to a fretted but was dissuaded as it is such a rare thing.
There is a scan of the Andy Pask review on the Shergold site here -
http://www.shergold.co.uk/archive.html#2d25ff7705f2ae29a3018064a9f6e4ca

Edited by ash

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1377262021' post='2185481']
Lovely guitars there BetaFunk. :)
[/quote]
Thanks ShergoldSnickers.

The Marathon is really nice and even has it's original bridge cover.

I'm going to sell the Masquerader as i don't play guitar. It's had a fair bit of use but is slightly unusual to many as most with that shape headstock have string trees and mine doesn't.

• 10 years later...

Zombie thread…

A mate got a Marathon recently and I was instantly besotted.

he wouldn’t sell it to me.

So I went snooping and found a 1980 sunburst51503C7B-03E3-4066-8D63-CA8630DC01F3.thumb.jpeg.266810e2475eb4760cf18a3f4fff77c0.jpegBF28B4EB-16ED-449D-B8A6-349F45EED387.thumb.jpeg.601e782a0e8d08803f34c125c075c29d.jpeg

So that’s his one with my ripper - it’s a late 70’s one.

this arrives next week

IMG_8201.thumb.jpeg.718106dc75de0224cb0c2a18534891d2.jpeg

• Like 6