Why become a member? ×

Xylem Custom 4 string dual P Build

winterfire666

i think its about time i put my current order up here, its nice to keep track of the build as it progresses.

Spec: (Edited 6-2-14)

4 Strings
33'' scale length
Black limba body core with bookmatched walnut top
Maple neck with Ebony stringers, bloodwood binding, maple fretboard, custom ebony runic inlays and gold Jascar frets
Hipshot A style bridge (black) with piezo system
Hipshot Ultralite tuners (black)
15.75'' fretboard radius
40mm nut
19mm string spacing at bridge
Neck pickup - Seymour Duncan SPB-4 (Steve Harris Signature)
Bridge pickup - Seymour Duncan SPB-3 (1/4 l/ B)

[attachment=141385:533987_542387382476439_1319011426_n.jpg]

i cant wait to see how this pans out, i have wanted a dual p setup for a while now,
its already been a long wait since the deposit went down but im sure it will be worth the wait.
Let the building commence :D

Edited by winterfire666

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am definitely going to follow this build and i can definitely vouch for how good those Seymour Duncan Steve Harris pick ups sound, I've put them in my Fender SH signature bass. Personally though, I wouldn't put the QP SPB-3 in there, I would put in the SPB-1 as you'll get a tighter sound from it, especially as it's close to the bridge like that.

That's the way I'm doing it in my double P build :)

yeah, a bit of a punt on the steve harris one as i have never heard one in real life but i reckon it'll do the job.
i have a thrown together frankenbass with a SPB-3 in that exact position and it sounds excellent, it really nails the tone im after but if im not happy its easy enough to swap em out, i did consider the SPB-1 but dont have as much experience with that pickup.
ill have loads of tone options there though, especially with thepiezobridge too.

yeah, i did lots of experimenting of pickpup positions and found classic p position (neck position) and the position on my home made frenkenbass (bridge position) suited best for my playing, i dont like em too close to the fretboard or too near the bridge.
it was a bit wierd when i relised they were so close together but im confident it will sound massive :^)

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1390341304' post='2344358']
yeah, i did lots of experimenting of pickpup positions and found classic p position (neck position) and the position on my home made frenkenbass (bridge position) suited best for my playing, i dont like em too close to the fretboard or too near the bridge.
it was a bit wierd when i relised they were so close together but im confident it will sound massive :^)
[/quote]

Cool :)

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1390287702' post='2343514']
yeah, a bit of a punt on the steve harris one as i have never heard one in real life but i reckon it'll do the job.
i have a thrown together frankenbass with a SPB-3 in that exact position and it sounds excellent, it really nails the tone im after but if im not happy its easy enough to swap em out, i did consider the SPB-1 but dont have as much experience with that pickup.
ill have loads of tone options there though, especially with thepiezobridge too.
[/quote]

I've found the SPB-4 to have the output level of the SPB-3 but without the harsh high end that the SPB-3 tends to have. It may sound like i'm being a fanboy or biased because Steve Harris is my favourite bass player but the SPB-4 is genuinely the best pick up (in my opinion) that I've ever heard and used. Really punchy mid range with plenty of lows and highs without being harsh in any register.

I'm quite interested to hear how the SPB-3 brings out the harmonic over tone being paired in with the SPB-4 and being closer to the bridge than normal.

[quote name='Biaeothanata-Bassist' timestamp='1390357659' post='2344535']
I'm quite interested to hear how the SPB-3 brings out the harmonic over tone being paired in with the SPB-4 and being closer to the bridge than normal.
[/quote]

yeah me too, expect a full range of sound clips and a video review when i get me mitts on it :^)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

inlays done, im really looking forward to seeing how the heel joint comes along when it is put together, anthony at xylem basses really knows what he is doin in this department.

[attachment=156307:hewitt-bass-inlays-3.jpg]

the build diary on the xylem website has more pics uploaded too
http://www.xylembassguitar.com/hewitt-bass-construction.html

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1390341304' post='2344358']
[/quote]

Your pickups are in my exact favourite pickup configuration. Blended, they are not impressive, but soloed .... ahhhh, it's awesome !
Both my basses are set up like that. I have SPB-3's in one of them, and they are very well suited to that setup IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1393430859' post='2380226']
inlays done, im really looking forward to seeing how the heel joint comes along when it is put together, anthony at xylem basses really knows what he is doin in this department.

[attachment=156307:hewitt-bass-inlays-3.jpg]

the build diary on the xylem website has more pics uploaded too
[url="http://www.xylembassguitar.com/hewitt-bass-construction.html"]http://www.xylembass...nstruction.html[/url]
[/quote]

Can the neck turn 180 degrees and say your mother cooks socks in hell?

:D

Wicked inlays!

• 2 weeks later...