Why become a member? ×

Matrix Amplification - UK power amplification

Dood

Hey all,

I'm always keen to see where the 'lightweight vs high power' debate is heading and to see what gear is currently available.

I had a review of a GT1600FX power amp the other day - and in terms of being both of the above, I thought I'd start a thread about 'em to see who else is using Matrix power amps for their PA / Bass / Guitar rigs. Interestingly, they're not D-Class and I'd be keen to find out why they're staying with AB class. Hmmm, I'll have to learn a bit more about AB and D class topology! Anyone know if AB has some sort of better performance in say, low end for subs etc?

I see that guitarists are loving the GT range for pairing up with Fractal's AxeFX processors and PA companies see to really love Matrix's gear for driving everything from tops to subs. I figure that they'll be good for Bass too.

Mainly though, they're British - A rare breed these days it seems.

There's a bunch of 1u and 2u poweramps on this ere page - the GT1600FX being the one with the most grunt [url="http://matrixguitaramplification.com/products/"]http://matrixguitara...n.com/products/[/url]

I had a look 'ere too, [url="http://pa.matrixamplification.com"]http://pa.matrixamplification.com[/url] and some big beasties here at 3500W per channel! ha!

I'd be an interesting test actually - I've not had a chance to compare amps on damping factor alone and how much of the 'feel' of the amp will be noticed when A/Bing them.

I wondered if a higher damping factor would be better for ported cabinets and lower for closed non-ported types?

I'm not sure you'll hear a huge difference, Dood. Seymour Duncan used to make a valve guitar amp called the Convertible which had a damping factor control knob. It worked and you could hear the difference, but it never caught on. For bass, I like an amp to have tight control over the speaker myself. If I need a bit more warmth I can always get it using the tone controls.

However, Matrix obviously believe it's a good idea for guitar, and they seem to know what they are doing.

I use an older style (heavy iron) Matrix amp on the HF components in my PA rig. Can't remember the model number but it does 650w ch or 1300w bridge-mono. It sounds well and we've never had any bother with it so I have every faith these new ones are also up to scratch..

+1 on Matrix. :D

Cool, well I'm gonna see if I can thrash the pants off one soon! I'll report back. Could be rather handy for Guitar duties with a pre, PA for clinics and of course for a bit of extra booty in the bass dept. Think it'll be rather good with my Hartke kit!

• 2 months later...

I first used Matrix power amps before they were even called Matrix!! Great products, every single one I've used. All the ones I have used were more traditional style power amps, but the build quality and the designer's insistence on not cutting important corners seemed obvious.

I still have a 2U 300watt unit I use for my bass. Weighty sound but with control. I had amps up to 2400watts in 2u from them (1200watt/side into 4 ohms), but all toroidal transformer power supplies. Tested them against far more expensive amps, even Crown and QSC, nothing was better, only a match when really good. Very reliable limiters, incredible control of low frequencies with no edge in the mid when pushed.

Back then, no generator used in a festival or the like had any buffering for high peak loads, and traditional power amps still faired massively better as their peak draw from the mains was far lower than digital supplied amps. Not the same issues these days.

I would be surprised if anything they make doesn't 'do what it says on the tin' so to speak. Not tried the specific ones you mention, but it's a name I'd trust.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' timestamp='1382344411' post='2250743']
Leo Tomasz Dorsz from Red Seas Fire uses one of these for bass, but anyone really tried one of these out for bass in anger?

Dood? ;)
[/quote]

I've not tried one out in anger yet - but I can tell you that they do have some serious 'booty'. I love the form factor as the whole thing fits neatly in to a shallow rack. Really cool at under 5Kg too for the 1600W model. They are loud but as I say, there's a real 'meat' in the bottom end that I've not experienced in a number of lightweight heads. The only other power amp that I was seriously excited by was my ole Powersoft rack - but that was a serious beast too at 2x 1Kw.

I'm very interested in pairing one of these up with an AxeFX as the GT power amplifiers are designed to work well with Fractal's processors. I'm also needing a rig for both guitar and bass duties so this 'one box solution' may well be the way forward. Just waiting to hear back from Fractal.