Why become a member? ×

Shipping advice from the US of A

Marky L

Hey all. First off, I have had a look at other threads here, but I'm just fishing for some up to date advice/guides.

I've agreed to buy a bass from a private seller in the US and I'm looking at shipping back to the UK, but it doesn't seem as easy as I had hoped. Interparcel online only gives me one quote for FedEx and nothing else. Has anyone recently arranged shipping and can point me in the right direction to a courier that has come through for them? I don't necessarily want cheap and cheerful!

Oh and yes.. I am fully aware that I'm going to get the red hot poker up the jacksey otherwise known as import duty etc!!

I've just recently had a new amp shipped from the US. The sender used the US Postal Service (which turned out to be cheaper than any other courier quote I'd been given). Once the package was with UK Customs they sent me a nice letter asking for the duty due and once it was paid I got a spanking new amp for about 60% of the same one over here. :D

When I had tried to get a quote from the usual couriers I use over here, the general response was they might agree to do imports but it would cost a lot more to do this from the UK end. To give you some idea shipping quotes I got for the same item : to arrange and ship from the US end = $110 (£60), to arrange and ship from the UK end = £170. It seems the general rule is its easier to ship OUT of a country than IN.

Anyway, more importantly....whats the bass?. Wheres the pics? New? Pre-loved? Good for metal?

Yes, get the seller to arrange. After all, organising a courier is organising a courier, the only real difference is typing the name of the country at the end of the rest of the address.

I bought a new Precision from the US earlier this year. Even factoring in shipping and duty costs, it still worked out a lot cheaper - about £900 if I recall correctly, as oppose to the £1100/£1200 we pay here.

Yes I would much prefer if he arranged the shipping. I'll try again but he wasn't keen previously and isn't the most chatty in our emails!

I'd love to show some pics but the deal is not finalised yet and I don't want to jinx it. I've lost out before y'see. All I can say is it's very black with some sexy chrome :D

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1375446241' post='2161485']
IME it's unless you have access to a business account that sees plenty of international use, it's simply not possible to arrange shipping from the US to the UK from the UK as cheaply as it would if it was organised and sent from the US.
[/quote]

I'm certainly getting this impression.

• 1 month later...

I'm researching buying and importing a bass too, and can pretty much confirm what others are saying. I got shipping quotes from FedEx, UPS etc and they were all at least £160. The US Postal Service will charge $72 (£46) for a 5-day service which, considering the distance involved, seems remarkably cheap to me. Obviously I'll then need to add on VAT, Import Duty and handling charge but that still gets me a really nice bass that I just cannot find this side of the pond. I'll pay the seller by PayPal so we both have some protection.