Why become a member? ×

"Squeaky" strings

Si600

I rarely get to wind my amp up because I quite like being on good terms with my wife and the neighbours but when I do I can really hear my fingers sliding on the strings moving from note to note. Is this just bad techinque that I need to work on or is it a symptom of just playing far too loudly?

I like Fender superbass rounds, but I do see a few mentions of these saying that they - Fender Superbass - seem to have a lot of finger noise....so with that in mind, I suppose certain rounds must have much less less finger noise, see I'm bright like that ;)

..strange but true, if I play thru my Amp-Plug 'n headphones I don't get much fingernoise at all, so the EQ, set-up, rig etc must be just as important too, as above.

If it's unintentional, it's not good technique. You can avoid it if you try, spanning your fingers, placing your fingers as chris says. If you want a squeak then do it, if you can't its something to improve.

Flat strings help, Newtone's Platinums have finer out windings which may also help if you can't stomach flats, but best of all practice not making squeaky noises.

I remember Julian Bream (I think it was him) having a little rant about popular music he really enjoyed but, for him, was ruined by squeaky guitar playing.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1375180225' post='2157602']
Bad technique.

[i]Place[/i] your fingers where they need to be and don't slide.

Lift your LH fingers a little more when you're moving to the next note.
[/quote]
Practise lifting your fingers up and down, and moving fingers along the strings "just" touching. Used to have the exact same problem!
You can negate a lot with EQ but it doesn't cover up the problem 100%