Why become a member? ×

Questions are a Burden

Si600

I've got a couple of questions, as always, the second of which should maybe in Techniques, but you decide.

Firstly, progressing. If you're considering giving being a band a shot at what point do you start looking for the bits you're missing and how good should you look for? My mate and I are getting more songs in our library and we can play along to the record quite happily. Our originals are lacking but we always have a bit of a jam see-what-comes-out session after our "formal" practice. Back to the point, we're starting to think about finding a drummer, but what do you look for?
I think our level is going to be pub band if we're lucky, so we're not after Nicko McBrain but would we be better going for someone with live experience or all muddle in together? If we had a good drummer would it bring our playing up or would they get fed up with our lack of skills? We're good enough to not make a fool of ourselves but not brilliant if that helps, some of you have actually seen me play, but I'm better than that now!

Secondly, listening. I don't seem to have the ability to work out a bassline from just listening, I can hear what it's doing and where it's going but I can't catch it. Is this innate or can it be learned?
As an example I'm currently learning Upstarts and Broken Hearts by The Dropkick Murphys. I can follow the root quite happliy, but the bass isn't doing that directly. I can hear it's not doing it but I can't play it.

Any advice on both or either gratefully accepted, I'd like to do at least one gig before I peg out, even if it is on my deathbed and I'm propped up with mic stands with a drip in one arm!

If you are not experienced at band playing I would look for a drummer on the same level, muddle in together. If you are lucky you might find someone more experienced who would work with you and, yes, it probably would help your playing. See if you can put an ad in your local music store.

If you are having trouble picking up bass lines from the record maybe you could try something like [url="http://www.ronimusic.com/"]The Amazing Slowdowner[/url]. It does what it says on the box. Slows everything down and keeps it at the same pitch so you can learn at your own pace. As you work with this your ear should become more atuned to transcribing this way.

Every drummer is different and its not always his ability that will determine his commitment. He may be a very good drummer looking for a band that is not working as much as hes used to or he may be a less talented drummer wanting to learn from a more experienced band. Best thing is to advertise and be clear in your advert what level you are at. Most of the time it is your enthusiasm that people are attracted to

I am hopeless at learning original bass lines by ear but youtube is full of people showing you how to play the bass lines to virtually every song. I don't think I ever not been able to find one. Just type in the name of the song followed by bass cover. They are not always 100% accurate but most are pretty close

Drummers: I would choose someone with groove over flashy solos, preferably one with own kit, wheels and not too barmy. Which rules out quite a lot of 'em.

Basslines: Make sure you've learned the line in you head before you try to play it. In other words if you can't sing / hum / whistle the line you'll struggle to find it on the bass. Finding the notes comes with practice, soon your fingers will just go to the right places on the neck.

Hearing basslines and picking them up quickly will come in time, but unless you are playing in a tribute band I wouldn't worry about finding each and every note in the right place on the neck....most of the time it is virtually impossible to capture every nuance of a bassline and even after you been playing it for years you will sit down one day listen to it again and notice something you've never picked up before.

If you are going to be playing in a covers band as long as you are close to and capturing the feeling of the song your adoring fans won't notice if what you play isn't a note for note copy of the original, A classic example for you....we used to cover Baggy Trousers by Madness, we have no brass section in the band, the guitarist played the brass parts on guitar...on more than one occasion we were accused of using backing tracks because how else would the brass section bits be there? Moral of the story...your audience will hear the original song in there heads as they watch you so as long as you don't dissapear off at a tangent your audience will forgive you

It would do you no harm to get a drummer in who's done a gig or two (or more), as long as they're happy to wait a bit before you're ready to gig. You want someone who can play more than one beat and keeps reasonable time, and doesn't get lost doing overambitious fills. Note: it's all very well saying "enthusiasm more important than ability" in an advert but you have to be prepared to find yourself trying out a series of enthusiastic [politically-incorrect word that rhymes with "enthusiastic" and betokens poor physical co-ordination]s.

Presumably you'll be playing in the Town Hall and not outside the Village? At least you'll have a captive audience.

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1374791498' post='2153423']
...and answers a prison for oneself. Just in case you thought no one got the reference.
[/quote]

I don't mind if nobody gets my random references :)

Thank you all for your advice, I'll definitely check out the Slowdowner and Audacity and take the personnel comments on board when we start looking around.

I'll let you know how it goes... I daren't advertise a first gig on here or you'll all be turn up and put me off!

Sorry, it's a boring answer but:

Learn some theory.

Not heavy stuff. Learn the basic major and minor scale and what your intervals are and sound like.

Once you have mastered that, a few hours at most, you'll have the basic tools at your disposal for picking out lines.

Buy a book or check the Internet for some theory lessons. There's a lot in the basschat theory section.

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1374737363' post='2152484']

Secondly, listening. I don't seem to have the ability to work out a bassline from just listening, I can hear what it's doing and where it's going but I can't catch it. Is this innate or can it be learned?

[/quote]

Can definetly be learned - I used to be hopeless at it, but am now pretty good, takes a while mind.

The best thing that ever happened to my ear was the tab sites being shut down