Why become a member? ×

Can't my wah just go first?

Soloshchenko

Here's my rather simple pedalboard layout as it stands.

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/28cj9lx.jpg[/IMG]

So we've got
Korg pitchblack
Big muff pi
Boss flanger
Boss dd20
In that order

Now, with space at a premium on this small board, I've had to accept that the boss bf2 needs to go. To replace it, I'm going to add a Jim Dunlop crybaby. I'd like the crybaby to go on the far right (ie 'first') hand side for logistical reasons but obviously the proper way to do things is for the tuner to go first.

My question is, will it make a blind bit of difference going wah>tuner>fuzz>delay?

Cheers for any help.

Guest FretNoMore

The only "proper way" is one that works for you. Try it, if it works (and in your case it will) it's fine.

As for having to place the tuner first, mine is last after twelve other things on the board and it still works with every other pedal turned on. :) Not as well as if it is placed first in the chain, it hesitates a little bit on the lowest notes, but still good enough to debunk the myth that you need a clean signal to tune. Another case of try it, and use it if it works for you.

Edited by FretNoMore

+1 to all the above. Try it. Try all the pedals in different orders & see what You like.

I've just had a shuffle & put a distortion before the octave (after another topic on here). The only thing it does is give me a longer sustain on the wet -1 oct (I don't have any dry with the -1).
So now I'm going distortion & octaver (in loop so can be switched on together) > Bass Murf (which is getting used as a drive pedal) > filter > chorus.

Gonna try this at rehearsal tonight. :)

Yeah, it really doesn't matter where you run your Tuner unless you're using a lot of modulation and pitch effects (you wouldn't want your tuner after Vibrato and Whammy for example and trying to tune whilst they're both on ;) )
With such a small board, you're most likely turning effects off before you tune, so no effect where in the chain the tuner is.

Si

Yep I agree, loose the power board, move the pitchblack to the top row and add the wah on the right. I have my pitch black top left but first in the signal chain, then into the 105q wah on the right of the board. I have a power supply unit to power all my effects though.

Yeah, I'll definitely lose the power block soonish, money is tight at the mo. I'm still gonna take off the flanger as I simply never use it but its always nice to have some more space for extra pedals isn't it?

Update pics soon as the board evolves. Currently got the wah on there and shifted everything up. It's amazing the range of sounds you get from three decent pedals isn't it?

I prefer wah into fuzz myself, it's a totally different sound to wah after fuzz, so use whatever sounds best to you. Also, just becuase the wah is the rightmost pedal doesn't mean it has to be first in the signal chain - if you have long enough patch leads you can wire them up however you like! I have George L cables so I can customise the length - my signal chain goes all over the place so that I have my most used pedals in the front row.

Edited by dannybuoy

+1. :)

I'm a Fuzz into Wah man myself. The only thing that's after my Wah is Chorus.

I had a good play about with my board & tried umpteen different combinations, including dirt > octave > wah > dirt & finally settled on my original setup.

Looper off > wah > chorus
Looper on > octave > Murf Left - mid & high frequencies (dirt > wah > chorus) Murf Right - 110hz & lower clean sub channel > summed back together > amp. Makes some very nice synth sounds. :D