Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My first experience on a Fretless bass.

Samashton12

I was browsing a tiny local music shop the other day and in the window i saw an old 70s defretted, no name Japanese P copy, on sale for £75.

Being curious i had to have a go. The experience was,, Weird to say the least.

The bass was perfect, it crackled slightly, but what do you expect from an old £75 bass?
It was for the simple reason that my fingers had no boundaries, no frets to stop me. For a few moments i was in awe, but coupled with the love of this new found freedom but also a dislike for change. It was a completely different animal. I regretting putting it back. So I'm going to finally retrieve it next weekend!

Thanks,
Sam

[quote name='Samashton12' timestamp='1372770283' post='2129674']
I was browsing a tiny local music shop the other day and in the window i saw an old 70s defretted, no name Japanese P copy, on sale for £75.

Being curious i had to have a go. The experience was,, Weird to say the least.

The bass was perfect, it crackled slightly, but what do you expect from an old £75 bass?
It was for the simple reason that my fingers had no boundaries, no frets to stop me. For a few moments i was in awe, but coupled with the love of this new found freedom but also a dislike for change. It was a completely different animal. I regretting putting it back. So I'm going to finally retrieve it next weekend!

Thanks,
Sam
[/quote]
It will be gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! First rule of love at first site is...... Once you've got her, never let her go.

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1372771352' post='2129701']It will be gone!! First rule of love at first sight is... once you've got her, never let her go.[/quote]

How true. [i]Sic transit gloria mundi.[/i]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1372771554' post='2129705']

How true. [i]Sic transit gloria mundi.[/i]
[/quote]
Wow.... That is a beautiful saying. I've never heard it used in real life before. Is this real life? I'm going to throw it in at work a few times next week, might drop it into a few emails etc......

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1372772365' post='2129722']

No, it's just fantasy.
[/quote]
Phew!! That's ok. For a second there I thought I might be "caught in a landslide".

As fun as this is, lets stop this now before somebody has the embarrassing job of trying to spell "scaramouche"????????

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1372773141' post='2129741']
[/size]
[size=4]OK. Any way the wind blows.[/size]
[/quote]
I know what you are up to but no matter how much you tempt me, I won't be lured as "it doesn't really matter to me, too-oo me... Bing bing,bing bong"

I'm a weak fool. It's like my misspent youth all over again. Why couldn't I say no? Why can't I still? Am I temptations bitch? Is there nothing of me in my own life? Am I to be forever at sea adrift without a rudder? Is a whim my only compass? The North Star I am not. I have no fixed or resting quality. I have reached the end of the garden path and there is no one left to hold my hand, I am alone. What now?

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1372774323' post='2129763']
I'm a weak fool. It's like my misspent youth all over again. Why couldn't I say no? Why can't I still? Am I temptations bitch? Is there nothing of me in my own life? Am I to be forever at sea adrift without a rudder? Is a whim my only compass? The North Star I am not. I have no fixed or resting quality. I have reached the end of the garden path and there is no one left to hold my hand, I am alone. What now?
[/quote]

The more I read your posts , the more mysterious you become .

Edited by Dingus

Good evening, Sam...

[quote name='Samashton12' timestamp='1372770283' post='2129674']...So I'm going to finally retrieve it next weekend!...[/quote]

This is both good and worrying news. Welcome to the elite club, but be aware of the lifetime of pleasure and pain you're embarking on. It sounds as if the warning is too late, but this could serve for others. Once bitten by the 'real bass' bug, there is no way back. Congratulations, you have now oficially grown up. B)

[quote name='Samashton12' timestamp='1372771695' post='2129708']...he said its been there for months...[/quote]

This should be a sign for trying your haggling skills...

"£75, you said..? Nah, £50 cash and I'll take it off your hands."
£70..? Look, let's just split the difference, eh..? £55, in your hand, deal done, OK, mate..? Cheers."
"You wouldn't happen to have a hard case to throw in for good measure, would you..?"

You never know...

(Pics, of course, are always welcome... ;) )

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1372778576' post='2129853']

This should be a sign for trying your haggling skills...

"£75, you said..? Nah, £50 cash and I'll take it off your hands."
£70..? Look, let's just split the difference, eh..? £55, in your hand, deal done, OK, mate..? Cheers."
"You wouldn't happen to have a hard case to throw in for good measure, would you..?"

[/quote]

Mama, just killed a man ...

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1372786460' post='2130000']
It's from "À la recherche du temps perdu" ("In search of lost time"), and I'm claiming my five sovereigns.

Edit: Question: do phones exist in the UK? :P

best,
bert
[/quote]
Hello???
Are you in the right topic?

Do you mean that you don't understand my post?
Are you just calling me by phone? (Hence the "Hello???")

But to answer: yes, I feel that I am in the right topic.
1) Your literate text reminded a lot of Proust, so I proposed it was a quote from his most famous work.
2) As to the phones in the UK, it never ceases to amaze me how my British friends and connections have a reluctance against using the phone, claiming it is so expensive - even when a 50p call could well save them 50 quid. Me, I thought that phoning that little shop and buy it over the phone would be the thing to do.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1372787303' post='2130021']
Do you mean that you don't understand my post?
Are you just calling me by phone? (Hence the "Hello???")

But to answer: yes, I feel that I am in the right topic.
1) Your literate text reminded a lot of Proust, so I proposed it was a quote from his most famous work.
2) As to the phones in the UK, it never ceases to amaze me how my British friends and connections have a reluctance against using the phone, claiming it is so expensive - even when a 50p call could well save them 50 quid. Me, I thought that phoning that little shop and buy it over the phone would be the thing to do.

best,
bert
[/quote]
Sorry, I didn't understand your post. It went a bit over my head mate. I get it now though. Touché, and well done.