Why become a member? ×

Nearly- a Great Gig!

Went to see Mail Online reader Pete Academy's band Nearly Dan at the Chapel Arts Centre in Bath on Saturday night, missing out on the best/worst Rolling Stones gig of the decade at nearby Glastonbury. (In a shameless plug, I'm playing at the Prince William, Glastonbury, this Saturday 6th of July in the evening!) Back to the ND gig, let's get the bad things out of the way first, it was really hot in there and their singer/guitarist kept on using the keyboardist's towel to dry his face and hands, and after he used it, he hung it back on the keyboardist's mike stand. Then after they sang Haitian Divorce, he just threw it on the floor! And he wonders why the band are "divorce experts"? It was all I could do to not get up on stage and hang that towel back up! I counted all the spotlights to take my mind of it, PM me for further details... He also announced one song as Bovine Noir, they were halfway through the song before I realised it was called Black Cow. Confusingly he did not announce Black Friday as Vendredi Noir however, just no consistency if you ask me! Good things? Well, we pulled into the Council Owned Car Park in Bath before the gig and went to pay £3.10 for a ticket when the car park attendants came over and said " We're off now, have a drink on us" and let us off the fee. Oh, and the band were absolute class, all the SD favourites, Pete makes those bass lines look so effortless and he was getting a great sound from his Mark Bass rig and Roscoe (?) 5 stringer. Go and see this Band even if you are not a SD fan, they are so tight with some great interplay! In a further plug, this time for the venue, Anita Harris is playing there quite soon, but without Orville... For some reason can't do paragraphs so excuse the block of text!

Edited by yorks5stringer

I did see them a few years back and had a very brief word with Pete, seems a nice genuine guy. As you say, musically top notch and when they are up to a full compliment with a brass section there can't be a vast amount of money in it. The only thing that I thought was a bit lacking was the lead vocal but it's always going to be a challenge finding someone who can 'do' Fagen whilst also holding down a legit musician's role in the lineup.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1372693737' post='2128686'] For some reason can't do paragraphs so excuse the block of text!
[/quote]Yep I get that problem on BC for some reason - no idea why! Need to go and see ND if they ever make to Bradford / Halifax...

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1372693737' post='2128686']
Well, we pulled into the Council Owned Car Park in Bath before the gig and went to pay £3.10 for a ticket when the car park attendants came over and said " We're off now, have a drink on us" and let us off the fee.
[/quote]

Let off a fee in Bath? Now I don't believe it :D

Thanks for the review and the kind words. When we started, we knew Steve's vocals didn't sound like Fagens. We actually thought this was better. It sounded less like a full-blown tribute.

The towel issue is a running joke that has been going for years. Gary, our keyboard player had a collie, and we always said it was Ollie' s towel. It's washed before every gig. Throwing it on the floor? No big deal.

Bovine Noir is another long running in-joke. Any person that likes Steely Dan should recognise Black Cow within the first three notes.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1372693737' post='2128686']
For some reason can't do paragraphs so excuse the block of text!
[/quote]

Not trying to make a joke: Have you tried hitting Enter some extra times? I sometimes have to do that, but I don't remember whether that is on PC or iPad. At any rate, for a new line I then need two linefeeds, and for a new paragraph, I think it's three - maybe four.

Of course right now it's working alright just so I can't test it. :)

best,
bert

I've seen em twice in London. They're an ace band, totally on it, and better than the real thing in the sense that they have a sense of humour :D

Pete's a gem, lovely geezer, it's always a great pleasure having a drinkie with Pete (and the band) before and after the show.

Great to hear more great reviews of the band.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1372709773' post='2129032']
I've seen em twice in London. They're an ace band, totally on it, and better than the real thing in the sense that they have humour :D

Pete's a gem, lovely geezer, it's always a great pleasure having a drinkie with Pete (and the band) before and after the show.

Great to hear more lovely reviews of the band.
[/quote]

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1372708931' post='2129010']
Thanks for the review and the kind words. When we started, we knew Steve's vocals didn't sound like Fagens. We actually thought this was better. It sounded less like a full-blown tribute.

The towel issue is a running joke that has been going for years. Gary, our keyboard player had a collie, and we always said it was Ollie' s towel. It's washed before every gig. Throwing it on the floor? No big deal.

Bovine Noir is another long running in-joke. Any person that likes Steely Dan should recognise Black Cow within the first three notes.
[/quote] ;) F C C?

Edited by yorks5stringer

• 1 month later...

I would like to offer a review of last nights offering in Crewe , but I didn't get any of the free sex that was promised ;) and while Pete and (Bassman) Sam are great company, a gig broke out :rolleyes:

A great show Pete , really top draw musicianship , quality sound delivery and myself and Sam were very impresssed with the backing singers moves , especially when she was jumping up and down whilst hitting the cowbell on my old school :gas:

It was great to meet you and Sam and I will definitely be along to another show at some point .

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1377421571' post='2187215']
I would like to offer a review of last nights offering in Crewe , but I didn't get any of the free sex that was promised ;) and while Pete and (Bassman) Sam are great company, a gig broke out :rolleyes:

A great show Pete , really top draw musicianship , quality sound delivery and myself and Sam were very impresssed with the backing singers moves , especially when she was jumping up and down whilst hitting the cowbell on my old school :gas:

It was great to meet you and Sam and I will definitely be along to another show at some point .
[/quote]

Thanks, mate. Good to meet you both. It was one of those gigs where everything came together - great onstage sound, lovely audience.

Thanks for making the effort to come, and I hope to meet you both again.

T'was indeed a great gig. Pete and the band are top notch and put on a great show. It was good to meet Pete and Kev(lurksalot) and I hope we can do it again soon. Pete, you need to get yourself a decent bass, that Roscoe is rubbish. ;)[size=4] I'll gladly up it in a skip for you.[/size]
[size=4]Don't miss ND when they play in your area, highly recommended.[/size]

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1377428231' post='2187313']
T'was indeed a great gig. Pete and the band are top notch and put on a great show. It was good to meet Pete and Kev(lurksalot) and I hope we can do it again soon. Pete, you need to get yourself a decent bass, that Roscoe is rubbish. ;) I'll gladly up it in a skip for you.
Don't miss ND when they play in your area, highly recommended.
[/quote]

Thanks Sam, really appreciate you making it. I'll let you know when I decide to get rid of the Roscoe. ;)