Why become a member? ×

Cost of setting up a bass??

Hi Guys, I posted a new post in the introductions section yesterday. As I said in that post I haven`t played in over 15 yrs and am looking to start playing again. I have been given a Tanglewood Jazzman style bass (It looks like this but is a Tanglewood) [attachment=138035:Bass.jpg] by a friend but he had taken the frets out as he wanted to turn it into a fret-less. Well he never got round to doing it so he gave it to me and I bought a new set of frets and knocked them in and as I am a novice at setting up guitars I cut the frets with wire cutters, not realising that you need special fret cutters :s
So I was wondering if anyone knows how much (Approx) it would cost to have a bass re-fretted and the action set up?? Its just someone I talking to said that for the price it would cost to have the bass set up I could probably pick up a cheap new bass, or a better 2nd hand one for around the same price or cheaper Was just wondering if this is true??
Be grateful for any help, Thanx in advance John..

Edited by Demon Rockstar

Hi Iceonaboy.
Ok Thanx for the quick reply, so my mate was probably right. I think the Tanglewood is only worth between £150-200 brand new. So to spend £100 having it re-fretted and set up, seems a bit of a waste as I would rather put that kind of cash to buying a bass I would really like to own. I have aprrox £200-250 to spend so far on a new bass, so I think I`ll wait and save a bit longer. But next time I`m in town I guess it cant hurt to pop into a music shop and enquire how much it`ll cost. so thanx :)

@ Funkateer,
Maybe your right about selling the Tanglewood. In my Intro thread I put that I also have a Gewa tennessee six string electro/acoustic guitar which usually sells for around £300+ new. After trying MANY times and failing to learn to play a six string guitar (DAMN these fat clumsy fingers) then maybe if I can sell the Tanglewood and the Gewa I may be able to get enough cash together to buy myself a decent bass :)
Thanx for your help.

Edited by Demon Rockstar

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1372691796' post='2128652']
Shameless plug, you won't get a better bass for the money than the jazz I am selling on here, I'm open to sensible offers too :)
[/quote]

Or your Jazz bass , cracking bass for the price , always wanted Barts in my Jazz.

[quote name='Demon Rockstar' timestamp='1372686122' post='2128523']
Hi Iceonaboy.
Ok Thanx for the quick reply, so my mate was probably right. I think the Tanglewood is only worth between £150-200 brand new. So to spend £100 having it re-fretted and set up, seems a bit of a waste
[/quote]

sell it on the forum boards or part ex it as a fretless _ the frets could be carefully removed and the fret slots filled and finished to make it into a reasonable fretless whcih you should be able to shift easily on the boards because many bass players want to try a fretless but it doesnt always suit everyone so if the opportunity arises to buy a cheapie at a good bargain price they will often surprisingly get snapped up

i recommend a Squier J or a Yammy RBX :D

How bad is it and where are you? Some cheap basses start with sharp fret ends anyway, as long as the frets are in the slots then you can use a file and a nail file to smooth them off, as for the setup I'm sure one of us can at least get it playable or maybe better if you bring it to us, I'm happy to do it based near Stafford depending on where in Wales you are that may be of use or not but im sure someone else would offer the same? :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1372706884' post='2128946']
How bad is it and where are you? Some cheap basses start with sharp fret ends anyway, as long as the frets are in the slots then you can use a file and a nail file to smooth them off, as for the setup I'm sure one of us can at least get it playable or maybe better if you bring it to us, I'm happy to do it based near Stafford depending on where in Wales you are that may be of use or not but im sure someone else would offer the same? :)
[/quote] Good idea and what a nice offer personally I would sell the Tanglewood as is and buy something else and Pete's bass looks so lovely I don't think he should sell it I think he should give it to me lol

I've never felt I needed a fret job. Vintage frets are fine, worn down, and slapping is best on jumbos, which last forever. I used nickel strings on a Music Man for 15 years and the frets are fine. I gave it one grind and polish in 20 years. .

As for set ups, it amazes me how people think it's a specialized skill. Most anyone can learn to do it in 5 minutes.

Thanx guys for all yr replies :)

I actually went out and bought a cheap bass on tuesday :) Its not the best bass in the world and I have to lower the action on it to get it set up to how I like my bass as I like a REALLY low action. I can do that myself, Only the Allen key set I have the smallest one is 2mm and my new bass needs a 1 mm GRRRRR!!!
Anyway I went out and was passing a cash generator and they had these Jaxville (skull design) basses in stock which were brand new and marked up @ £80. I asked the assistant if I could have a go of one and it played well enough and thought I`d ask if there was room for negotiation on the price. She said she couldn`t and so as I was about to walk away she said she`d call her manager and see what they could do.
Her manager came up and it was a very good friend of mine whom I have known for over 25 yrs and she used to come and watch me play in a few of my bands years ago :)
Anyways Cutting to the chase I explained I wanted to start playing again and she was like WOW yeah u should deffo start up again. Anyways I ended up walking out of there with the bass and a small 15 watt practice amp for £60 A Bargain i thought as the amp was marked up @ £15 so I had a total saving of £30. :D :D :D
And like I said its not the best bass in the world but my mrs said that IF I can prove that me wanting to play again is not just some phase I`m going thru then she will buy me ANY bass I want up to the value of £600 for X.mas :D :D
But Thanx to everyone for replying and a Big THANK YOU to Pete for offering to set up my Tanglewood for free :)

This stuff rocks, stronger than wood so your neck won't bow horribly when you string it up (the frets did alot to keep the neck flat) and you can sand it too.
Just make sure your neck is flat before you put it in the cleaned out fret slots. (tighten the truss rod, but don't overtighten it.)
There are good youtube vids out there on this topic
Good luck and have fun!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/ol/B003ZUXQQC/ref=mw_dp_olp?qid=1372824247&sr=1-1

Edited by miles'tone

@ Milestone Thanx for the quick reply and I will order some straight away :D

I have a friend who makes custom guitars and I sent him LOADS of msgs on FB to which he never replied, He is Lemmy`s bass tech so is on tour with them alot but he finally answered a msg I sent him the day I jolined this site saying he would be happy to take a look at my tanglewood once he gets back from tour :) So I will prob get him to do it for me :)

As everyone else seems to do it here is a plug for his guitar shop, check it out on the link below ;)
[url="http://www.tcellisguitars.com/"]http://www.tcellisguitars.com/[/url]

I just have to say this site is awsome and everyone seems sooo friendly and helpful :D
Thanx guys
John

Thanx Pete, yes I was very pleased with the deal I got and will now practice and save my ass off until I can afford a decent bass or the mrs gets me one for X.mas :D

I also noticed your button moon vid and yr location says button moon.
I always thought that program had a hidden drug meaning, It may just be me, but as an ex drug user the rocket they flew in looked very syringe like and the words "were off to button moon, we`ll follow Mr spoon" to me reminded me of cooking up in the spoon and then "Travelling" to button moon :P

Edited by Demon Rockstar